Sports | Men's Basketball

Women's basketball hosts Colgate, looks to rebound after losing 7 straight

• boxing out | Senior Courtney Bradford leads the Light Blue with 44 rebounds on the year and is only one rebound away from 500 career rebounds.

After dropping its seventh straight game, the women’s basketball team (1-7) remains hopeful as it prepares to face Colgate (2-5) on Saturday.

“They come to practice the very next day after a loss, and they are very high energy. They give great effort,” head coach Stephanie Glance said. “I’m glad they come in that way rather than down and out or discouraged.”

Even though they went on a losing streak immediately after their season-opening win, the Lions have not lost faith in their potential this season with their new coaching staff.

“We’re not where we want to be right now, but we don’t want people to lose hope. This team gives everything they have, that’s all they can do,” Glance said.

Still, effort and hope don’t score points. The Light Blue was plagued by offensive struggles against St. Francis in its most recent contest. First-year guard Carolyn Binder’s 24 points comprised more than half of Columbia’s offensive production in the 73-47 loss. Meanwhile, the team’s returning players contributed only 13 points.

Glance blames the Lions’ struggles on not making shots. 

“We don’t make high-percentage shots. That’s my biggest concern,” Glance said. “My concern is the shots we miss that are really good shots, the shots we work for in an offense, and we get them, and you have to be able to put those down.”

If the Lions—shooting a mere 34.5 percent from the field—are unable to step up their offensive production, their game against Colgate will rest on the defense’s ability to contain the Raiders, who are averaging 66 points per game.

“You have to be able to at least contain [the Raiders] to stay in the game, to stay competitive,” Glance said. “That comes from our ability to guard the ball, to have help-side rotation, box out, keep people off offensive boards.”

Columbia will try to limit Colgate guard Lauryn Kobiela, who leads the Raiders in both points and assists and has a .688 three-point percentage.

The Lions will also need to watch out for forward Carole Harris on the boards, as she leads Colgate with 58 rebounds.

Senior forward Courtney Bradford, who leads Columbia with 44 rebounds this season, needs just one in the match-up against Colgate to record her 500th career rebound with the Lions.

But the Lions are looking for much more than a rebound on Saturday. In order to secure its second win, the team must concentrate its efforts on making more shots.

“Our goal is to get better at things we can control. We might not always be able to control our shots, whether they go in or not, but you can control whether you get loose balls, whether you box out, you can control that you have team defense,” Glance said.

Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. at Levien Gym.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports