Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball falls to Portland, Portland State

• Offensive Offense | Women's basketball had difficulty putting up points in their two games over Thanksgiving weekend.

The women’s basketball team went west over the short break and continued its losing skid against Portland and Portland State, bringing the streak to six games. Columbia (1-6) hasn’t won a game since its first contest of the season Nov. 8 against LIU Brooklyn.

The Lions began their slate in the Beaver State on Friday with a 58-42 loss to Portland. Columbia scored the game’s first points on two free throws from first-year forward Tori Oliver, but the Pilots quickly got ahead with an advantage they wouldn’t relinquish. By halftime, Portland had built up a 30-16 lead. Despite a closer second half, in which the Lions were outscored only 28-26, the Pilots ran away with a 58-42 victory.

Columbia shot just 21 percent from the field on the night. Portland finished with a 20-10 advantage on points in the paint, and held a 25-14 margin on points off of turnovers.

[Related: Men's basketball drops overtime contest to Elon]

Senior guard Taylor Ward led the Lions with 14 points and seven rebounds and made two of her four three-pointers. But Columbia couldn’t stop opposing guard Kari Luttinen, who finished with 20 points, including four from behind the arc. 

The Light Blue played a much tighter back-and-forth contest on Sunday, but couldn’t pull out a victory against Portland State, dropping the game 75-67.

There were 14 ties and eight lead changes in the matchup between the Lions and the Vikings. The two teams were tied at 33 after the first half, and Columbia took a 42-39 lead on first-year guard Carolyn Binder’s trey with 16:03 remaining in the contest. With some more back-and-forth play, the Light Blue took its last lead on junior guard Miwa Tachibana’s three-pointer with 6:07 remaining, going up 57-56. But that’s when Portland State went on a 19-10 run to end the game, handing the Lions their sixth straight loss.

Vikings guard Kate Lanz nearly had a triple-double in the contest with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and nine assists. She also added two blocks and a steal in her 32 minutes of work.

Oliver led the Lions with 18 points and nine rebounds. Senior forward Courtney Bradford went 5-9 from the field, with 12 points, five boards, three assists, two blocks, and two steals. 

Columbia will conclude its four-game road swing on Wednesday against St. Francis.

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com@MSmmns210