Sports | Fencing

WEEKEND RECAP: Men's basketball, women's basketball, cross country, fencing, and more

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Alexcellent | Junior Alex Rosenberg provided an offensive spark in the hectic three-game stretch.
    No Vic-tori | First-year Tori Oliver could not get the win in either weekend game despite strong performances.
  • David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    Competitive Composto | Senior Nicolas Composto placed 30th in the 10K.

Men's Basketball Muneeb Alam / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Finishing its games in the Coaches vs. Cancer event in Oregon, the men’s basketball team (3-3) came away with two wins in three games.

After a narrow victory over North Texas on Thursday, the Light Blue faced hosting Portland on Friday. The matchup between two mid-majors, which both gave No. 1 Michigan State serious trouble this season, was not nearly as close as each team’s contest against the Spartans. The Pilots went on a 13-0 run early in the first half and, after the Lions got to within six late in the half, used a 10-0 run to pull comfortably ahead, eventually winning 69-52.

Read More >>

Women's Basketball Kyle Perrotti / Spectator Staff Writer

The women’s basketball team (1-4) entered the weekend looking to get a pair of wins against two winless teams. But it was Cal State Fullerton (1-3) and Fairleigh Dickinson (1-4) that managed leave the Lions with a four game losing streak.

Cal State Fullerton came into Levien for Friday’s Education Day, which nearly 2,000 area youths attended. The Light Blue was unable to find its rhythm offensively, hitting only 18 of 60 shots—just four of 21 from the outside—and the Titans took the game 80-54.

Although the offense had its struggles, the team’s defense really has head coach Stephanie Glance concerned.

Read More >>

Cross Country Myles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Columbia cross country finished its season with a disappointing showing at the NCAA national championships on Saturday. After taking second at the northeast regional, the men’s team came in 25th place, while junior Waverly Neer—competing individually for women—finished outside the top 200.

Senior Nicolas Composto led the men’s team, finishing 30th individually in the men’s 10K with a time of 30:37.8. Composto earned All-American distinction with his performance. No other Lions finished within the top 120. Senior Jacob Sienko came in 121st at 31:28.4, first-year Jack Boyle in 171st at 31:59.6, senior John Gregorek 190th at 32:11.0, and senior Joseph Kotran 196th at 32:14.7.

Read More >>

Fencing Robert Mitchell / Spectator Staff Writer

On Friday, the men’s and women’s fencing squads hosted the Columbia Invitational, taking on tough competition at Dodge.

The men’s squad (3-0) faced Stevens, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Princeton—last year’s Ivy champ. The Lions wasted no time in proving their mettle to begin season, sweeping Princeton 19-8 to dominate the reigning champs. Juniors William Spear and Michael Josephs along with sophomore Brian Ro won each of their matchups to lead Columbia to a signature win after losing to Princeton last year.

In their other two contests, the Lions similarly steamrolled the competition, notching a 23-4 win over Stevens and completing their strong weekend with a 24-3 victory against NJIT.

The women (1-1), who faced a lot of turnover losing some key veterans to graduation and injury, can still turn to Olympian junior Nzingha Prescod and sophomore Jackie Dubrovich to lead the team. But it was sophomore Sarah Yee who answered the call with two of three wins against Princeton in saber. The squad, however, lost a close 14-13 contest to Princeton overall. The Lions recovered to beat NJIT 24-3 to split the weekend.

Men's Swimming Robert Mitchell / Spectator Staff Writer

In a duel between conference foes at Uris Pool, Columbia men’s swimming (2-2, 1-2 Ivy) fell to Harvard 170-130. The Crimson dominated in 10 of the 16 contests, including the first three events to get off to a hot start and ended up setting three Uris Pool records. The Lions were able to close some of the gap with a record-setting performance by junior David Jakl, who set a new standard at Uris Pool with a time of 48.41 in the 100 fly. Meanwhile, first-year Terry Li picked up the win in the 200 freestyle, sophomore Codi Saunders won the 100 breaststroke, and junior Kevin Quinn claimed first in the 200 fly. In addition, senior Philipp Gaissert helped the Light Blue win the 50 freestyle, and sophomore Ronald Chen closed out the contest with a victory in the 400 IM.

Women's Swimming Robert Mitchell / Spectator Staff Writer

Women’s swimming continued its winning ways with a strong performance at the 2013 Frank Elm Invitational. Senior Alena Kluge helped the squad get off to a good start in preliminaries with a win in the 400 individual medley before going on to win the event in the finals. The Lions appeared poised throughout the finals on Saturday, where they won the 200 medley. First-years Trudi Patrick, a Spectator staff writer, and Tiffany Warmuth won the 100 fly and 200 freestyle, respectively. To conclude the day, the Light Blue won the 800 free relay. On Sunday, sophomores Daniela Rueda and Kristine Ng posted first in the 1650 and 200 freestyle, respectively, to give the Lions another pair of wins. The Light Blue will now travel to Knoxville, Tenn. to compete in the US Nationals.

Squash Myles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams had successful starts to their seasons over the weekend, as each defeated George Washington. The No. 12 men swept their match 9-0, with no Lion dropping even a set against the No. 19 Colonials. Junior Ramit Tandon led the charge from the first position, drubbing Andres de Frutos 11-3, 11-4, 11-3. The No. 11 women may not have swept but still dominated their No. 14 opponent 7-2. First-years Colette Sultana and Grace Van Arkel dropped their matches from the first two positions in straight sets. But each of the other Lions won to secure the team victory.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports