Sports | Cross Country

Light Blue cross country heads to NCAA Nationals

• David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    The Running Man | After excelling at Regionals, men's cross country will participate in the 10k at the NCAA National Championships.

After bringing home the title at the Ivy Heptagonal Cross Country Championships on Nov. 2 and finishing with runner-up honors at the NCAA Northeast Regionals on Nov. 15, the men’s cross country team will return to action at the NCAA National Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday. 

Led by senior Jake Sienko, who finished sixth in the 10K at regionals, the Light Blue men’s squad will take the national stage with aspirations of a top-10 finish. 

Junior Daniel Everett and senior Nicolas Composto, who both leaped into top-10 positions last weekend, will also play leading roles for the Lions on Saturday. 

On the women’s side, junior Waverly Neer also earned her spot at the 2013 NCAA National Championships after finishing fourth in the NCAA Northeast Regionals with a time of 20:01.8 in the 6K. She will face 37 of the country’s top runners as she competes for the national title.

Just 31 teams were selected to participate in each championship.

The top two seven-person teams qualified automatically from each of the nine regions, providing a total of 18 teams. 

The other 13 teams were selected at-large. 

The men’s team secured an automatic bid to nationals after its strong finish at regionals, while Neer qualified as an individual. 

Indiana State will host the 76th annual Cross Country NCAA National Championships at the LaVern Gibson National Championship Cross Country Course. The men’s 10K race will start at noon and will be followed by the women’s 6K race. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports