Aranya Ram for Spectator

The women's soccer team will have to find its third head coach in program history after Kevin McCarthy's resignation on Monday.

After 20 seasons as head coach of women's soccer, Kevin McCarthy, CC '85, has resigned from his position to pursue other opportunities, Athletics announced on Monday.

McCarthy was just the second head coach in program history, having replaced Shawn Ladda in 1994. In his 20 years, McCarthy compiled an overall winning record of 162-145-36, but was not nearly as successful in Ivy play with a record of 41-80-19.

{sidebar}

McCarthy's most successful season as head coach came in 2006, when Columbia went undefeated in conference play to win the program's only Ivy title. The Lions allowed just three goals to Ancient Eight opponents in their championship season. 

Still, in McCarthy's 20 years, only twice did the Lions win four or more conference games—in 2006, and again in 2008, when the team went 4-2-1.

The resignation ends a relationship between McCarthy's and Columbia soccer that extends as far back as the early 1980s. McCarthy was a member of the men's soccer team from 1981-84, during the heart of the Light Blue's eight consecutive Ivy titles, which lasted from 1978-85. He then served as an assistant coach for Light Blue men's soccer from 1988 to 1993, when he was named women's soccer head coach. In his time as an assistant, the men went to the NCAA Tournament four times and won the 1993 Ivy title.

“Kevin has been a wonderful asset to Columbia athletics,” Athletic Director M. Dianne Murphy said in a statement. “I know Kevin will be successful in whatever avenue he chooses to pursue. We wish him nothing but the best as he moves on to another chapter of his career.”

Athletics will immediately begin the search for McCarthy's replacement. 

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com | @MSmmns210

Women's Soccer