Sports | Soccer

McCarthy resigns as women's soccer head coach

• Aranya Ram for Spectator
    changes | The women's soccer team will have to find its third head coach in program history after Kevin McCarthy's resignation on Monday.

After 20 seasons as head coach of women’s soccer, Kevin McCarthy, CC ’85, has resigned from his position to pursue other opportunities, Athletics announced on Monday.

McCarthy was just the second head coach in program history, having replaced Shawn Ladda in 1994. In his 20 years, McCarthy compiled an overall winning record of 162-145-36, but was not nearly as successful in Ivy play with a record of 41-80-19.

Courtesy of Columbia Athletics
moving on | Kevin McCarthy, CC '85, resigned as head coach of women's soccer on Monday to pursue other career opportunities.

McCarthy’s most successful season as head coach came in 2006, when Columbia went undefeated in conference play to win the program’s only Ivy title. The Lions allowed just three goals to Ancient Eight opponents in their championship season. 

Still, in McCarthy’s 20 years, only twice did the Lions win four or more conference games—in 2006, and again in 2008, when the team went 4-2-1.

The resignation ends a relationship between McCarthy’s and Columbia soccer that extends as far back as the early 1980s. McCarthy was a member of the men’s soccer team from 1981-84, during the heart of the Light Blue’s eight consecutive Ivy titles, which lasted from 1978-85. He then served as an assistant coach for Light Blue men’s soccer from 1988 to 1993, when he was named women’s soccer head coach. In his time as an assistant, the men went to the NCAA Tournament four times and won the 1993 Ivy title.

“Kevin has been a wonderful asset to Columbia athletics,” Athletic Director M. Dianne Murphy said in a statement. “I know Kevin will be successful in whatever avenue he chooses to pursue. We wish him nothing but the best as he moves on to another chapter of his career.”

Athletics will immediately begin the search for McCarthy’s replacement. 

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com | @MSmmns210

CU_Alum posted on

The 1983 team McCarthy played on finished second in the country, losing the NCAA championship game to Indiana 1-0 in double overtime. The team, which was favored to win the title, had been 15-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the postseason, with 12 shutouts. It allowed only one goal in each of the other six games.

+1
+1
-1

Yes, McCarthy was a fantastic player himself, but mediocre stats at best as coach.

+1
-10
-1

Kevin was one of the good guys within the Athletic Department. The decision to not renew his contract should be challenged. He was very well respected and his teams have outperformed most of the other teams here at Columbia. Kevin went to Columbia and has coached here for well over 20 years. How could this man be terminated without warning? How is this allowed as so many Columbia fall teams have just recently finished last in the Ivy League. Shame on you Dianne.

+1
+7
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Do you have more information than the writer? The article does not say Dr. Murphy declined to renew McCarthy's contract, or even that the contract was up for renewal.

+1
+3
-1

yes, seemingly i do. he was let go.

+1
-2
-1

She fires this guy for a bad performance, and not Mangurian?

+1
+1
-1

Football and Volleyball finished last. Men's Soccer was 7th. Women's Soccer and Field Hockey 6th. How was he chosen among all the disasters that is Columbia Fall Sports?

+1
-4
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Who says he was fired? The article says he resigned. It's very possible that he was fired, or that he quit under pressure. But the it's also possible that this was his own decision. What is your evidence that Murphy fired him?

+1
-3
-1

The AD release also said very successful Heavyweight Rowing coach Mike Zimmer resigned for the same reasons last spring when in fact he was fired. I guess Murphy heard the calls to fire the football coach and her CU funded jaunts in Europe confused her.

+1
+1
-1

inserting different verbs and articles into an athletic department press release is not reporting

+1
-3
-1

The Kevin I know as a coach is a great teacher. He is a charismatic, honest and ethical. He knows the game as well as anyone I have come across in soccer. He elevated a young failing soccer program to respectability within and outside the league. He will be missed. I wish for him continued success.

+1
+4
-1

I'm pretty positive AD Dr. Murphy, who is a no-nonsense administrator, offered McCarthy a graceful "exit" via resignation, instead of outright firing, after such a long-term dismal record against Ivy competition. (with the exception of the 06' & 08' solid teams.)

What took Dr. Murphy so long to can this pompous windbag?

+1
-6
-1

Coach McCarthy may have been a gifted soccer player but as a coach, he lacked integrity, played mind games, and pitted players against each other. In the end, he got what he deserved - long overdue.

+1
-7
-1