Sports | Soccer

WEEKEND RECAP: Men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball, field hockey, women's tennis

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    STAR STAMATIS | Senior Will Stamatis notched the game winning goal to help the Lions down the Huskies.
    and for my next trick | Senior Chelsea Ryan posted a hat trick in the Lions' win against Albany.
  • David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    they got served | The Light Blue put up a strong performance against William & Mary but struggled against its other competition.
    money malone | Senior Liz Malone netted two goals in field hockey's 4-1 win over Brown.

Men's soccer Muneeb Alam / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The men’s soccer team (3-2) continued its string of two-goal games en route to a 2-1 victory over Northeastern on Saturday. It was the Light Blue’s third win in a row, as well as its third-straight game with two goals. And it snapped the Huskies’ (2-3-2) 18-game unbeaten streak at home. Read more>>

Women's soccer Robert Mitchell / Spectator Staff Writer

Women’s soccer (4-2-1) began the weekend with a dominant 3-0 win on the road against Albany (1-8), before returning home to beat Fairleigh Dickinson (3-5-1) and finish the weekend two games above .500.

The set of games started positively with a strong performance from senior defender Chelsea Ryan, who notched a hat trick to drub the Great Danes. Ryan drew first blood less than three minutes into the game on a penalty kick to put the Light Blue on the board. Read more>>

Women's tennis Phil Godzin / Spectator Staff Writer 

The women’s tennis team completed yet another strong all-around performance at the Cissie Leary Invitational this weekend, continuing the Lions’ strong start to their fall season.

The team’s success was led by its two doubles pairings—the No. 29 duo of sophomore Kanika Vaidya and senior Bianca Sanon and the team of junior Crystal Leung and first-year Tina Jiang. Read more>>

Volleyball Eric Wong / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Despite a strong start to the weekend with a 3-0 win over William & Mary, the volleyball team (2-7) dropped matches against Virginia and Seton Hall to finish 1-2 at the Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville, Va.

The Light Blue was looking to gain some confidence after just one nonconference win at home in its three games at the Columbia Invitational. The Lions did just that against William & Mary, getting off to a strong start and finding ways to finish off games. Read more>>

Field Hockey Madeleine Steinberg / Columbia Daily Spectator 

Following two tough losses against ranked opponents last weekend, the field hockey squad rebounded with a victory in its Ivy opener against Brown on Friday before dropping a 3-1 game to Richmond on Sunday.

Senior Liz Malone and first-year Katie Ruesterholz provided the offensive spark for Columbia (3-3, 1-0 Ivy) on Friday, scoring two goals and benefiting from two assists from sophomore Anna Scipioni. Read more>>

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports