Despite what Princeton may lead you to believe, the Ivy League isn't defined by caviar and casual racism. In reality, the Ivy League is nothing more than an athletics conference. That's why the Columbia University Marching Band is here to tell you the top reasons to come to a few Lions games this semester and cheer for the Blue and White.
Why CU sports?
- You want to root for a New York team, but fuck the Yankees, right?
- Come and admire Baker Athletics Complex, named after Becky Baker of the TV hit "Degrassi."
- Debate the sex of Roar-ee the Lion with your friends!
- Protest Columbia's zero-tolerance policy on Ivy League championships.
- Enough free T-shirts to clothe all of Africa, but instead, you get to keep them!
- Spike Lee came to a basketball game once.
- If PrezBo sees his shadow at Homecoming, there will be six more weeks of fall.
- You won't run into the same problems with face painting that, say, a Brown student might.
- Neither snow nor rain nor lack of talent nor lack of coordination stays the CUMB from the swift completion of its appointed duty: to have the most fun of anyone at a Columbia game. So come to a game, say hi to us, and be a part of the magic!
This article is part of Spectator's Orientation Issue. You can read the rest of the issue here.