Sports | Baseball

Yankees sign Columbia pitcher Tim Giel

• great giel | The senior pitcher signed with the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Though he wasn't selected in last week's MLB draft, righty Tim Giel's baseball future is looking bright. 

Giel, who graduated in May with a degree in computer science, signed as a free agent Thursday with Major League Baseball's most storied franchise, the New York Yankees. Another recently graduated Light Blue pitcher, Alex Black, was drafted by the Kansas City Royals last week.

Giel, a Gibsonia, Pa., native, had a strong pitching career at Columbia, where he made key contributions both as a starter and as a reliever in four years as a Lion.

After appearing in 12 games and posting a 3-1 record as a freshman in 2010, Giel took over closing duties for the Light Blue in 2011. He excelled, posting a team-best 1.71 ERA and logging five saves in his sophomore season. His efforts earned him a spot on the 2011 All-Ivy Second Team.

As a junior, the versatile righty made a smooth transition from anchoring the bullpen to pitching in the starting rotation. He posted a 3-3 record and a 3.83 ERA in nine starts, leading the team in innings pitched.

Giel's strong senior campaign—he finished with a 3-3 record, a 3.20 ERA, and a career-high 51 strikeouts— garnered him an All-Ivy honorable mention.

Giel, who was one of three co-captains for Columbia this year, also found plenty of success in other uniforms during his college career. Most notably, he earned a spot on the Cape Cod League All-Star Team during the summer of 2012 as a member of the Bourne Braves. 

His last appearance for Columbia came on June 1, when he made the start and got a no-decision in the Lions' 6-5, 13-inning victory over New Mexico, the team's first-ever NCAA tournament win.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Twitchy Pre-med posted on

For a second, I thought it said he had a 3.83 GPA, and I was *really* impressed. Nevertheless, congratulations. Columbians are doing great things every day.

+1
-34
-1