Courtesy of

Former Stanford quarterback Brett Nottingham should have an immediate impact on the football program.

It's official: Former Stanford quarterback Brett Nottingham will be wearing Light Blue next year.

The football team announced on Tuesday its final three recruits for the upcoming season—four months after Nottingham himself told the Stanford athletics blog The Bootleg he planned to transfer to Columbia. 

Coming out of high school, Nottingham was a four-star recruit, and was ranked the fourth-best pro-style quarterback by recruiting website He will be able to make an impact on the field immediately, as there is no playing restriction on student-athletes coming from a Football Bowl Subdivision school to a Football Championship school. 

ESPN initially reported in December that the quarterback planned to transfer. Nottingham had served as the primary backup to Andrew Luck as a sophomore before classmate Josh Nunes won the starting job in training camp for the 2012 season.

In December, Nottingham told The Bootleg that—based on his research of the Columbia football program along with Mangurian and offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo's offensive schemes—he wanted to play for the Light Blue.

“Columbia is one of the world's premiere universities in one of the greatest cities in the world,” Nottingham said. “Once I took a closer look at the Columbia football program, their offense, and once I spoke with coach Mangurian and Elizondo, I knew Columbia was the perfect and natural fit for me.”

Nottingham, who has two remaining years of eligibility, appeared late in two blowout games for the Cardinal last season, completing five of eight passes for 22 yards. As a sophomore he served much the same role, by appearing in five games and completing five of eight passes for 78 yards and a touchdown.

The quarterback should have an immediate impact on an offense that ranked last in the league in total yards, and seventh in passing. He'll be throwing to a receiving corps led by rising junior wide receiver Conor Nelligan, who made 62 receptions for 636 yards.

An improved passing game should also help first-team All-Ivy running back Marcorus Garrett find more holes to run through. The rising senior ran for 957 yards and five touchdowns last year. | @MSmmns210

football Brett Nottingham Pete Mangurian