@thecomposerpianist / via Instagram

We've even got finals content for our procrastinators.
View this email in your browser
@k.w.price / via Instagram

Your 12/12 Wake Up Call

You thought it'd never arrive: the last day of classes!

Today's top stories

A new frontier? One year ago, Deantini emailed all CC students with a proposal for an alternative to FroSci. Are we any closer to seeing that change become a reality?

A look at CU’s “secretive” side: Here we were thinking that the tunnels were strictly off limits. However, students with disabilities have been using them to get from class to class, even though they often contain unauthorized materials and scorching temperatures.

Final farewell: Need some help navigating all of Spectrum’s finals content? Spectrum's outgoing editor's got you covered with content for the serious studies and procrastinators.

Starting that winning streak: Men’s basketball blew the doors off Division III Manhattanville, 84-42, ending a three-game losing streak.

Gifts close to home: You might be too busy to burst the MoHi bubble, but there’s a shop right here on campus to fulfill all your gift-giving needs. Find presents for mom, pop, and other family members, all at the Columbia University Bookstore.

A weekend of varied results: Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams faced Princeton this weekend. The men came out ahead, while the women fell short against the Tigers, remaining winless in the Ivy League.

Knowledge = value? What about academia makes it so important? In a meeting with his philosophy professor, a columnist discovered that an education’s value lies in the influence of one’s teachers.

Raking in the Ws: The women’s basketball team got its fifth consecutive win, 75-65, over Binghamton, with Camille Zimmerman and Tori Oliver playing key roles in the team’s victory.

“First Date” takes on CU: Ever think that The Heights would be the setting for a CMTS production? Your favorite bar takes center stage  in “First Date,” a musical that features the Jewish community, gender roles, and many frat bros.

Eight-legged escape: Love the Spider-Man movies? Step away from your self-designated Butler desk and become one with arachnids in this Spider-Man walking tour.

Bye bye Barnard: Most of us are only at Barnard for four years. Imagine spending 16 years here like Lynn Garafola, dance history pioneer and beloved icon, who recently announced her retirement.

Pro tip of the day

No excuse for not studying: Don’t waste precious time wandering around the libraries’ website, looking for one that’s still open. We’ve compiled the hours of operation for every library on campus this finals season.

Community

Week in Snapchats: Nude TAs, celebrity sightings, and sleep-deprived Barnumbians––all in this week’s edition of Week in Snapchats.

Roommates gone wild: Think your roommate is bad? Barnumbians sent us their roommate horror stories for Muji merch. Check out the where the yogurt was left...

This week's contest: Break out the menorahs and homemade wreaths and Snapchat us your holiday dorm decor for a chance to win a Muji gift package.

Events and opportunities

Check out Spectrum's Study Break Master Calendar to find one that works for your schedule.

Performance: XMAS!11: North Pole State of Mind
7-10 p.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Food: GSSC Snack Attacks
Monday-Thursday: 12-2 p.m. in the GS Lounge

Study Break: Study Break with Columbia’s Muslim Students Organization
8-10 p.m. in Lerner 401

Study Break: Study Break with the Columbia University Environmental Biology Society
9-10 p.m. in Hamilton Hall

Snapchat of the day

At least it seems like you weren’t forced to march out in the cold in your bathrobe and towel… #silverlinings

Get in the Wake Up Call
  • Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call to get it in your inbox at 8 a.m. instead of on Facebook at 8 a.m.
wake up call newsletter