@cleome_madeleine / via instagram

Wanted a Barnard program on social justice? You got one.

Barnard Student Life has released a sign-up form for an eight-week social justice education course. Topics on the syllabus include “power, oppression, allyship, and liberation,” with an end goal of providing a setting for “challenging conversations by highlighting a multitude of voices and experiences of students on Barnard's campus.”

Best of all, all Barnardigans are eligible to apply—just fill out the form before Jan. 23, 2017. Besides general questions, you’ll also need to write one to two paragraphs in response to each of these questions.

• What are you hoping to get out of this experience?
  • What can you bring to the group about your experience with identity? What identities do you hold that are most important to you?
  • What strengths do you bring in working with identity groups other than your own? Feel free to give an example or a story to highlight this.

Also bear in mind the BLUEprint Cohort Program doesn’t count for credit and won’t last the whole semester.

Read Barnard Student Life’s full description below for more details on the course.

The BLUEprint program is an 8-week cohort series focusing on social justice education offered through Barnard Student Life. Through facilitated dialogue, we will focus on the ways in which identity affects systems, as well as our everyday lives. The course will cover topics such as power, oppression, allyship, and liberation. The ultimate goal of BLUEprint is to allow students the space for challenging conversations by highlighting a multitude of voices and experiences of students on Barnard's campus. In doing so we hope to create a respectful community dedicated to promoting equity and solidarity. Any Barnard student is welcome to apply, regardless of knowledge of social justice related topics.

The 8-week program will begin Tuesday, February 7th and end Tuesday April 4th. Every session will take place from 6-8pm in Diana 302. The group will not be meeting during Spring Break. All members that are selected are expected to attend all sessions in order to complete the program.

Applications close January 23rd, 2017. Questions? Email studentlife@barnard.edu

Barnard student life blueprint social justice education