@barnardalumnae / via Instagram

Optimize your work, and rest with one of these sleep schedules.
View this email in your browser
@barnardalumnae / via Instagram

Your 12/7 Wake Up Call

Bye-bye, Barnard library crater. It’s been real.

Today's top stories

Bernie’s letter: Nbd but Bernie Sanders wrote a letter in support of grad teaching and research assistant unionization at Columbia.

Bye-bye Barnard library hole: Say hello to the new Barnard library steel superstructure. Yep, the next phase of construction for Barnard’s Teaching and Learning Center is starting. The lawns won’t be a giant crater anymore.

Dogs > relationships: Every time columnist Ian Hewitt ends a relationship, he ends up loving dogs more. Sounds fair enough.

So long, Jamba Juice: JJ’s is replacing Jamba Juice with its own homemade smoothie line. They just need you to vote on a name—like, now.

Haunted campus: Ever been to the French house? Fun fact: Buell Hall was one of the first mental health asylums in the U.S.

Silver linings? Nate Silver joined a panel of Columbia faculty to discuss polling after the 2016 election.

Advertising majors: You’ve got a few months left, sophomores, but you'll need to declare soon. Luckily for you, these academic departments have made some hella convincing ads for their subjects.

Sleep/study schedules: Optimize your werq and rest by sticking to one of these sleep schedules.

Buried in the archives: Did you know art archives were even a thing? Why are they so inaccessible? The Eye investigated the records.

Conclusion jumping: Columbia’s link to the Panama Papers isn’t that sketchy, according to columnist Elena Burger.

Pro tip of the day

You’re missing out on libraries: Campus libs do way more than you think. Get better at office hours chats, navigating the city, and watching free TV. There’s research help as well, duh.

Community

This week’s competition: Sell out your roommate or suitemates for Muji. Tbh your living situation has probably led to some outrageous stories by now. Spill the jelly beans by confessing your wildest room- or suitemate-related escapade.

Events and opportunities

Check out Spectrum's Study Break Master Calendar to find one that works for your schedule.

Info session: Columbia Real Estate Society’s “Network and Chill”
8 to 9 p.m. in Lerner Piano Lounge

Panel: Leadership in the Ivy League
8 to 9:30 p.m. in Schapiro Hall Sky Lounge

Performance: Barnard’s Got Talent
7 to 10 p.m. in 301-303 Diana Center

Snapchat of the day

Calm down, liberal media. Tbh everyone has an accent.

Get in the Wake Up Call
  • Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call so you get it in your inbox at 8 a.m. instead of on Facebook at 10 a.m.
wuc newsletter