@Columbia SHARP / via YouTube

As if you needed another reason to procrastinate finals studying… All-male a cappella group SHARP (i.e. those dudes in suits) released a music video mashup of Miguel’s “Coffee” and Zayn’s “Pillowtalk” to delay your studying for another 4 minutes and 28 seconds.

With Kevin Chiu, SEAS ’17, producing, directing, filming, and editing the visuals and SHARP alum Danny Murcia, CC ’13, taking care of music production, SHARP’s video is the first professional music video released by a Columbia a cappella group.

Link not working? Click here.

As a first-year, SHARP President Jesse Ojeda, CC ’18, took part in filming the group’s first music video attempt. “It was a last-minute thing. ... We threw it together very fast, but ... it wound up doing a lot better than any of us thought it would. It was something that was always mentioned to me in the past year. When I became president this was something that we really wanted to see more of.” With Ojeda’s tenure ending this month, he’s achieved his goal of making “a cappella a little bit more accessible to our community here at Columbia.”

Why “Coffee” and “Pillowtalk?” Jeremy Grill, SEAS ’18 and the group’s musical director, “saw a narrative between the two pieces,” according to Ojeda. “‘Coffee’s’ lyrics are sensual, but very innocent, and they’re very caring, and there’s a sense of adoration. And the transition into ‘Pillowtalk’ is very visceral. It’s more intense, it’s a sharper* feeling. He really liked the juxtaposition between the lyrics of the two songs.”

*lol pun.

After spending a few days in Murcia’s Brooklyn home recording studio laying down audio tracks, “Kevin excellently and expertly put that into a visual.” 

What’s next for SHARP? An East Coast tour over spring break 2017 is in the works, as is an EP of some of the group’s favorite arrangements. Ojeda also hopes that SHARP continues to collaborate with Chiu on future projects.

Catch SHARP in their final concert of the semester in John Jay Lounge at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
a capella music music video
nextstory