@natashah1111 / via Instagram

Ever wanted to watch Kanye-infused ballet? Here’s your chance.
View this email in your browser
@natashah1111 / via Instagram

Your 12/2 Wake Up Call

5 study breaks, 7 performances tonight. Take your pick.

Today's top stories

Columbia Against Trump: CU Dems, Columbia Divest for Climate Justice, and other activist groups discussed how to organize against Trump policies that could negatively impact Columbians.

If grad students unionize… University Provost Coatsworth and Associate Provost Austell explain how the promises that come with unionization may not reverse its potential negative consequences.

Strike out: The Barnard contingent faculty union is voting for strike authorization—how will Spar’s resignation impact that?

You are biased: No matter how liberal, anti-sexist, and anti-racist you are, you have your prejudices and need to own up to them, according to columnist Anna Raskind.

Tree Lighting Ceremony: Remember when we interviewed College Walk’s trees? Well they debuted their lights tonight in front of 1,000 students and over 1,000 cups of hot chocolate.

Kanye + ballet + activism: Undergraduate dancers from Barnard and Columbia are performing four never-before-seen dances at New York Live Arts this evening.

Pro tip of the day

Can’t find a seat? Need to bang that essay out but can’t pop your seat in a seat? This oldie but goodie resource has got you covered when it comes to navigating all of Butler’s study spaces and reading rooms.

Community

This week’s competition: Sell out your roommate or suitemates for Muji. Tbh your living situation has probably led to some outrageous stories by now. Spill the jelly beans by confessing your wildest room- or suitemate-related escapade.

This week’s winner: Your influx of wintry wardrobe disasters (and successes, to be fair) were all wonderful, but who came out on top and nabbed that highly coveted, highly aesthetic Muji gift monstrosity?

Week in Snapchats: It’s Friday again, and you know what that means. Another week in Snaps filled with celebrity dogs, censored strippers, and a whole new meaning of shopping classes.

Events and opportunities

Check out Spectrum's Study Break Master Calendar to find one that works for your schedule.

Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them: A CU Sur Study Break
8 to 9 p.m. in Carman Lounge

Slam poetry: Nourish International’s Poetry Slam
7:30 to 9 p.m. in Furnald Lounge

Improv comedy: Control Top Butt Dials Your Mom
8 to 9 p.m. in Milbank 323

Dramatic readings: NOMADS Presents WordPlay
7 p.m. in the Ella Weed Room, Milbank 223

Dance workshop: CU GEN: Dance Workshop by Ari!
9:30 to 11:30 p.m. in Lerner E477

Stand-up comedy: Sso-Lol at Postcrypt
9 to 10:20 p.m. in Postcrypt Coffeehouse

Barnard/Columbia Dances at New York Live Arts
7:30 to 9:30 p.m. 219 W 19th Street (directions here) Thursday until Saturday

Snapchat of the day

Watched Gilmore Girls yet? Picked up your button yet? Won that Lauren Graham lottery yet? :’)

Get in the Wake Up Call
  • Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.

newsletters wuc