@sarahllu / via Instagram

Novice runner? Don't like exercise? We've got you covered.
View this email in your browser
@sarahllu / via Instagram

Your 12/1 Wake Up Call

The Tree Lighting is tonight! Get ready for cocoa, a cappella, and a PrezBo appearance.

Today's top stories

Rhodes to the Middle East: A GS alumna has been selected as a Rhodes Scholar for Lebanon and Palestine, marking the first time these countries have been recognized by the foundation.

Insta-fame: Tree Lighting is tonight, meaning there will be plenty of cocoa, a cappella, and aesthetic Insta pics to go around. Here’s how you can make your photo stand out.

Stuck in the trenches: Your college career has been defined by listening to other people’s opinions, but how open are you to different ideals? And how can we relate our election discussions to a trench of ideas? This op-ed investigates.

Suit-able: CU’s Center for Career Education has revamped its suit rental service to provide clothes for many occasions, including dates and Bacchanal. Lol jk, but here’s what it should add to its stock.

Let’s get global: PrezBo wants Columbia to be a globalized university, but how has his vision played out? In investigating the Istanbul Global Center, The Eye examines how CU has responded to recent pressures to globalize.

Running solo: The women’s cross country team has experienced some unwanted excitement over the months. From losing their coach to losing several key players, here’s how the runners have gotten along since.

Unlabeled: What’s the difference between true identity and identity labels, and how can we ditch these categories altogether and consider our true essence? Columnist Luciana Siracusano investigates.

Voicing your vote: Did you know that undergraduate TAs have a say in the grad student unionization issue? Their voice may have a large impact on the vote.

The View from Here: From a subway ride to multiple dates, Carolina Dalia Gonzalez, BC ’19, reflects on the disconnect between her thoughts and actions, and how she’s struggling to find herself.

Requesting recognition: Columbia’s Native American Council has submitted a proposal to the University. Its demands? More funding, more recognition.

Dunking away the shadows: We all hate the feeling of standing in someone’s shadow. Lukas Meisner, CC ’17 and basketball forward, may be similar to fellow German Maodo Lo, but here’s how he managed to shine on his own.

Pro-tip of the day

Running wild: Still new to this whole running/exercise idea? Use these graphics to find the best routes around the city.

This week's contest

Bish, it’s cold: Get bundled up and send a snap of your winter outfit to Spectrum’s snapchat for a chance to win a Muji prize of your choice.

Study break master list

It’s that time, folks. We’ve got our list of study breaks up and running, and we’ll be updating it as the days drag on until your last final.

Shoot us a Facebook message to promote a study break.

Events and opportunities

Reveal: Midnight Breakfast Theme Reveal
11 a.m. in the Diana Center

Performance: 1, 2, 3, Fourchesis
10 p.m. to 12 a.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Performance: BTE presents August Wilson's King Hedley II
7 p.m. in Lerner, Black Box Theatre

Food: Cookie Decorating Event
6:30 to 8 p.m. at Rohr Chabad House

Performance: The Contest Between Phoebus and Pan & The Impresario
8 p.m. in Minor Latham Playhouse

Party: GSSC Presents: Holiday Sweater Party
9 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Bernheim and Schwartz

Chill: SEAL Study Break
6 to 8 p.m. in Lerner

Discussion: SPJ Presents: NYT Reporter Sarah Maslin Nir
6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in Stabile Student Center

Snapchat of the day

DSpar leaves and madness ensues.

Get in the Wake Up Call
  • Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
It's Thursday! What better day to subscribe to the Wake Up Call?
wuc newsletter