A&E

The Weekend Nugget: BDSM, Mutual Benefit, and Egg Shop

The Weekend Nugget has returned! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Weekend Nugget, this is your weekly guide to the Spectator's weekend issue, as well as any interesting things going on around campus during your days off. Here's some of what you can find this weekend:

Up in ‘Smoke’: BDSM play turns audience into voyeurs

Zoë Miller writes about this erotic play that begs the comparison to "50 Shades of Gray"only it's, you know, a lot better and much more meaningful. ‘Smoke’ explores the emotional and physical connection between two strangers as they spend one night together, dabbling in the likes of gagging and knife play. See it at the Flea Theater in Tribeca before it closes on Sept. 28.

Alive and luminous: Mutual Benefit’s Jordan Lee readies for tour

David Salazar interviews Mutual Benefit’s frontman to see what it’s like balancing the band’s diverse sounds, crashing on random fans’ couches, and why he’s remastered an earlier EP “The Cowboy's Prayer.”

[[{"type":"media","view_mode":"media_large","fid":"56121","attributes":{"alt":"Courtesy of Pitch Perfect PR","class":"media-image","height":"368","style":"width: 552px; height: 368px;","typeof":"foaf:Image","width":"552"}}]]

NoLita Egg Shop makes breakfast for dinner delicious

Breakfast-lovers, make sure you make it down to this new NoLita eatery (or, should I say, eggery! No? Okay) where they seem to do almost anything possible with eggs. Sandwiches range from $9 to $15, and writer Sally Gao makes it sound worth it as she praises the restaurant for its creativity and freshness of ingredients. 

‘Bastards of Strindberg’ a fitting tribute to Swedish playwright

Four new plays are featured together, all honoring Swedish playwright August Strindberg's “Miss Julie.” Directed by some of our very own MFA Directing grads, each piece has an abstract quality to it and are separated by dance breaks. Read more about these unique performances, then go see it at The Lion Theatre before it closes Sept. 21. Tickets are $45.

[[{"type":"media","view_mode":"media_large","fid":"56125","attributes":{"alt":"","class":"media-image","height":"368","typeof":"foaf:Image","width":"552"}}]]

Mazzini Dance Collective brings rep to New York

Started by Annmaria Mazzini herself, this new dance company is able to turn even more mainstream music into something different and thoughtful. Joining Mazzini for her debut season at the Ailey Citigroup Theater is Orion Duckstein, who stages two works out of the five billed. Whether you’re a veteran dancer or new to the world of dance, check out this show on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 7 at 3 p.m. Tickets are $25.