Wake Up Call: Art as protest, Book Culture's employee wages, and more

• Performance protest | For her senior thesis project, Emma Sulkowicz, CC’15, will carry a mattress with her around campus until her alleged rapist leaves campus.

Happy second day of classes, Columbia! Here’s hoping you finally get off the wait list for that class you’re dying to take.

On campus

• Emma Sulkowicz, CC ’15, will carry around a blue mattress for as long as her alleged rapist is on campus as part of her senior thesis, which combines performance art and sexual assault activism. “The past year of my life has been really marked by telling people what happened in that most intimate and private space,” Sulkowicz said.
  • A group of Columbia faculty members are concerned with Book Culture’s wages for workers as the store plans to open a third location on the Upper West Side.
  • A student at the School of the Arts curated an exhibit at the Neiman Gallery, which features work from visual artists, writers, musicians, and dancers.

Outside the bubble

• A new ISIS video depicting the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff surfaced on Tuesday.
  • Michael Sam, the first openly gay NFL draft pick, is expected to take a physical for the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday, only a few days after being cut from the St. Louis Rams’ roster.
  • Former U.S House Majority Leader Eric Cantor announced on Tuesday that he’d be heading to Wall Street, joining investment bank Moelis & Co.

Tweet of the Day

Some faculty members weren’t feeling the first day of classes, either.

Around the Ivies

• Harvard’s Title IX Officer Mia Karvonides addressed concerns about the university’s new sexual assault policy, which does not include an explicit affirmative consent clause, at an open meeting on Tuesday. Karvonides said that the new policy dictates that “the absence of a ‘no’ does not mean a ‘yes.’”

What’s happening today

• Dream of singing? A number of a cappella auditions are continuing tonight. Check out each group’s website for details.
  • Leon G. Billings and Thomas C. Jorling, two former senior staff members on the Senate environmental subcommittee in the 1970s, will discuss environmental legislation tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. in IAB 407.