Classes not actually canceled for Barnard Convocation

• Class on Convocation | Dean Avis Hinkson said there wouldn’t be classes during Convocation, but she’s apparently changed her mind and made canceling class optional.

Updated Sept. 3, 5:20 p.m.:

On Monday night, Barnard sent out its invitation to next Monday’s Convocation party, which Dean Avis Hinkson announced in a summer Office Minute video. Fun, DSpar, and T-shirts. It sounds like a super party, and it’s Barnard’s 125th anniversary, so it’s bound to be extra festive.

The information in the email is pretty standard: The celebration is Monday, Sept. 8, at 4:30 p.m. at Riverside Church. The keynote speaker will be Pulitzer Prize winner Anna Quindlen, BC ’74. None of this is a surprise.

But there’s something a little off about the announcement email.

THIS:

Note: If you have a class that meets at the time of Convocation, it is the instructor's decision as to whether or not to cancel class. Please be sure to check in with your instructor.

That’s in direct contradiction with the message at the end of Dean Hinkson’s video, in which she clearly says NO CLASS.

That’s some mixed messaging right there.

We suspect a lot of teachers will cancel their classes anyway, but it’s still unclear why this change to optional class cancellations was made. Yesterday we reached out to Barnard Media Relations, asking for the reason for the subtle switch-a-roo, but we haven’t heard back.

Barnard's SGA confirmed on Facebook that classes have not been canceled during Convocation:

See the rest of the Convocation invitation email from Monday below:

Dear Barnard Students,

Welcome to fall semester 2014 and Barnard's 125th anniversary!!! I am writing to invite you to join President Spar and the entire Barnard community as we kick off our 125th anniversary celebration with our College-wide Convocation on Monday, September 8th at 4:30 in Riverside Church. Doors will open at 3:45. Anna Quindlen '74, Pulitzer Prize winner and Trustee Chair Emerita, will be the keynote speaker!

Students are encouraged to wear their class color 125th anniversary t-shirts that will be given out at the Block Party on Tuesday, 9/2 from 5-7pm on Lehmann Lawn. (T-shirt supply is limited so get to the Block Party early!)  The first 150 students from each class that have on their class color anniversary t-shirts will be given special seating. All other Barnard students will be seated in the  general admission area.

Sammy Roth posted on

"Yesterday we reached out to Barnard Media Relations, asking for the reason for the subtle switch-a-roo, but we haven’t heard back."

Sounds familiar...

+1
+1
-1
Gabrielle Balkan BC ℅ 1997 posted on

what possible reason is there for there being a limited number of class t-shirts?

+1
+1
-1