A&E

Canceled Fall Bacchanal still scheduled on UEM site

• bacchanope | Even though Fall Bacchanal was canceled and deans said it had never been scheduled or approved, the University Events Management site shows a pending space booking for the event.

After the Bacchanal committee announced last month the cancellation of a fall concert they had planned for Sept. 14, the deans of all four colleges released a statement that said the "concert was never officially scheduled or approved." But according to the University Events Management site, the student group had, in fact, booked space. 

On both Sept. 13 and Sept. 14 on the calendar, Low Plaza and the Sundial are booked from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. for an event called Fall Bacchanal by the Bacchanal committte. It's worth noting, though, that the status of the event is marked as "tentative—pending event review."

The event's cancellation led to outcry from student groups, among them No Red Tape and Columbia Against Sexual Violence, who disapproved of the fact that organizers said part of administrator's concerns had to do with sexual assault. 

“There are so many options and other ways that it’s possible to make Bacchanal safer. … Just canceling this one visible thing doesn’t do anything to change the culture or to make things safer for anyone,” CASV's resources and outreach coordinator Caitlin Lowell, CC '15, said at the time. 

For student government officials, the disppointment came from wasted hard work of students. 

“On all levels—and you can see by talking to people—it’s not the right decision, and I guess from my perspective … student groups play such a huge role on campus and Bacchanal is a tragic example, but it’s just a general mindset of administrators not communicating enough with student groups," Activities Board at Columbia president Tony Lee said when the cancellation was announced. 

It's pretty simple. Campus activists made it seem like Bacchanal was a hotbed for sexual violence. http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2014/04/13/bacchanal-not-invitation-sexual-harassment. The comments unanimously agreed with the author. What can you expect? Of course Bacchanal is going to get cancelled

+1
0
-1
E posted on

She makes it clear though that bacchanal itself isn't the cause for these issues. It's that people use events like these as an excuse. And she's not a campus activist--one students opinion doesn't mean everyone's.

+1
+4
-1
seo posted on

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword....wait there's even more Now what if i told you there was a simple Wordpress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That's right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin
seo http://www.2014PandaSeo.com/

+1
0
-1