City

1 injured in car accident on 120th Street

• CAR | Police surround a gray Nissan that was involved in a car accident on 120th Street and Amsterdam Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

Shortly after 4 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, a red van collided with a compact gray Nissan on 120th Street near Amsterdam Avenue.

Witnesses said that the red van was driving south on Amsterdam when it hit the Nissan as it was turning west onto 120th Street. After the collision, the driver and a passenger in the van and the driver of the Nissan exited their cars. Police arrived shortly afterwards, and paramedics removed the front-seat passenger of the Nissan on a stretcher.

A police officer at the scene said that the woman passenger's injuries were probably not serious, and that she was taken to the hospital for scans and tests. The other three occupants of the cars were uninjured.

“The collision happened right in the crosswalk, so the car was still moving. The driver was ready to get up when he stopped,” Luronne Vaval, a third-year TC student who witnessed the accident, said.

Another witness, Lizzie Moye, BC '15, said that the two occupants of the van and the driver of the Nissan were “fine.”

Police blocked 120th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam after the accident. Traffic resumed around 4:40 p.m.