Orientation 2014: Fall Sports Calendar

Spectator Senior Staff Writers

The 2013-14 year was a strong one for Columbia athletics. Its five Ivy League titles were its most-ever in a single academic year (tied with 2006-07)—and with several already strong teams returning all key players, 2014-15 could be even better.

• File Photo
  • Men’s Soccer vs. Michigan

September 6, 2014

The men’s soccer team started last year hot, but cooled off in Ivy play. They’ll open their season against Big 10 power Michigan.

• File Photo
  • Football vs. Fordham

September 20, 2014

The 2013 football season was a disaster. The Lions lost every game by at least two touchdowns. Maybe with a little better health and more experience, they’ll do better this year. First up: Fordham.

Field Hockey vs. Princeton

October 3, 2014

The Lions had a tough 2013, finishing tied for sixth in the Ivy standings, and to kick off October, they’ll face their toughest opponent of the season—defending national champion Princeton.

Football Ivy Opener vs. Princeton

October 4, 2014

Columbia’s first Ivy opponent is defending conference champion Princeton. There are sure to be plenty of Lions fans in attendance. And traveling Tigers fans too, for that matter.

Volleyball vs. Harvard

October 11, 2014

Newly promoted head coach Brie Katz will try to make 2014 better than 2013, when Columbia finished tied for last in the conference standings. The Lions have split the season set four years in a row against Harvard, against which—regardless of sport—there always seems to be a little extra energy in the air.

• File Photo
  • Dartmouth Tripleheader/Homecoming

October 25, 2014

Football, women’s soccer, and men’s soccer, back-to-back-to-back. Did we mention it’s homecoming, too?

• File Photo
  • Men’s Basketball

November 1, 2014

In 2013-14, Columbia put a serious scare into powerhouse Michigan State, finished tied for third in the Ivy standings, and made a postseason tournament for the first time in decades. With the entire team returning, the Lions could make 2014-15 one to remember.

• File Photo
  • Men’s Fencing

February 1, 2015

The Light Blue was the No. 1 team in the country for most of the year, nearly going undefeated. Although the Lions didn’t quite live up to that ranking at NCAAs, they will also return their entire team.

• File Photo
  • Baseball

March 1, 2015

The Lions won their second straight Ivy title last year. Although they graduated five players (including three starters), the Light Blue always seems to have underclassmen ready to take on bigger roles. In 2014-15, look for Ivy Rookie of the Year Will Savage and sophomore pitchers Adam Cline, George Thanopolous, and Kevin Roy to play leading roles.

• File Photo
  • Men’s Tennis

April 1, 2015

Columbia cruised during the tennis season, winning ECACs before sweeping its Ivy League schedule and advancing to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament. And with the entire team returning, more of the same could be in store.

• File Photo
  • Women’s Tennis

April 1, 2015

The women’s tennis team followed up its first Ivy title in 2013 with an ECAC title and its first NCAA Tournament appearance in 2014. Losing senior Bianca Sanon may make things difficult in the early going, but with everyone else returning, the team should have a good run again in 2015.

Men’s Golf

April 24, 2015

Led by junior and co-Ivy Player of the Year Brandon Jowers and sophomore Harrison Shih, Columbia won its fourth Ivy title in seven years—and, like men’s fencing and tennis, did it without any seniors, meaning it could be even better this year.