via giphy.com

This past year has been full of discourse about size. Thanks to the election, we’ve been given information about low voter turnout, we’ve learned about the relevance of crowd sizes for political rallies, and of course, we’ve all gotten intimately acquainted with the size of President-elect Donald Trump’s hands.

But in the spirit of Carrie Bradshaw, going into 2017 we should ask ourselves, does size really matter?

According to Junot Díaz, smaller can even be better: “Stories, after all, are short, just like our human moments.” Columns, too, are fairly short, but like any short story, like any human moment, they can have far reaching consequences. From igniting the fires of campus discourse to influencing administrative policy, Spectator columnists have the chance to impact Columbia and the broader community outside of our Morningside Heights bubble.

Columnists carry the unique responsibility of being consistent and knowledgeable campus voices for a semester and usually maintain a theme or perspective throughout. At just a few hundred words every other week, columns can be entertaining, cathartic, and even provoking—but most importantly, they always maintain a clear opinion that is relevant to the Columbia community.

So go forth! Fulfill that New Year's resolution to write more, impact more, live more, and apply today. Past columns can be found here. No previous experience is necessary (I certainly had none!). If you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to email opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

Submit your applications here. Columnist applications are due January 21 at 11:59 p.m. ET.

A column, like life, is finite. But there’s no limit to what it, and you, can do.

Yours,

Hannah Barbosa Cesnik

Editorial Page Editor

columnist app columnist application spectator columnist