Opinion | Op-eds

Bacchanal is not invitation for sexual harassment

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    crowding my space | As huge numbers of students covered Low Steps on Saturday for Bacchanal, there was unwanted touching unmerited by a large crowd.

Your drunkenness is not an excuse to grab my ass. Your drunkenness is not an excuse to assume all women want to have you grind up on them. Your drunkenness is not an excuse to grab my friend and start forcibly making out with her as she stands in line to buy halal. Your drunkenness is not an excuse to disrespect female bodies and demean our strength and intelligence.

Bacchanal is the one time in the year when Columbia comes together and pretends it’s a party school. But what does that mean? To some it means the school spirit and community that magically appear on that day. To some, it means waking up early and starting off the day with a bottle of champagne and some jello shots. And to most, it means forgetting work and obligations for a day in favor of letting loose and having fun.

And we deserve this day. We deserve to forget about school and work and the stress of going to Columbia for a day. Columbia is a hard place to go to school. With both the academic obligations of an Ivy League school and the pressures of a campus in the middle of New York City, it does not feel like a traditional college. We deserve our day to pretend that we are a school that provides its students with a fun environment and a strong community.

While Bacchanal might be an excuse to forget homework, it is not an excuse to forget about human decency and respect. The very nature of the event means that personal space will be intruded on by the mass of humanity that squeezes toward the front of the stage. But just because personal space is intruded on does not mean it is OK to violate our bodies.

Under no circumstances is it OK for the random boy whose name I will never know to come up from behind and squeeze my butt. I don’t care how drunk you are or how close you are to me—there is nothing permissible about that action. And don’t look so confused or surprised when I turn around to call you out and scold you for your behavior. I’m not the unreasonable one—you are. 

I don’t care if you are smashed up behind me because of all of the people. I do care if you start grinding up on me and then keep trying to do so when I turn and try to walk away from you. But considering other violations that happened at Bacchanal and have happened in the Columbia community, that’s only mild harassment. To the boy who unzipped a girl’s shorts as she was dancing with him: That is outright sexual harassment. An accepted invitation to dance is not an invitation to get into her pants in public or in private.

And to the boy who grabbed my friend’s face and started making out with her: She was simply waiting in line for halal after the show—that is not OK. How could you do that? How could you ever think it was OK to just seize a girl without any form of consent? I don’t care that you were drunk. It’s not an excuse. Did you even care when the halal guy started yelling at you to get you to stop when you wouldn’t let her go? How can you call yourself a true Columbia student?

We are supposed to be open-minded and respectful. We are challenged to think differently and harder and to push one another to become the best possible versions of ourselves. And I am proud to be a Columbia student. I am proud to be learning and living alongside some of the brightest young minds in the world. But I am not proud of this year’s Bacchanal. I am not proud of how many people ditched the level of human decency and respect we are known to have. I feel ashamed to be a part of a community where this so widely occurs and is so rarely—until recently—addressed.

But we have the chance to grow and learn. It gives us the opportunity to consider our actions and realize that we are accountable for everything we do, whether or not we are intoxicated. Before college, I thought we only needed feminism for economic equality and respect, but I now know that these things are only part of the problem feminism combats. We can’t stay silent and not address the issues of sexism and harassment that are present both at Columbia and in the world. I need feminism because drunkenness is not an excuse to disrespect our bodies.

The author is a Columbia College sophomore majoring in visual arts.

To respond to this op-ed, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

Jenny posted on

Amen to that.

+1
+81
-1

Disgusting, classic male behavior. They are horrible, especially white men who want to go into finance. Once I know their gender, race, and career choice, I know exactly who they are as people. It's absurd, a girl sleeps with more than three guys she's called a "slut," finally the tables have turned, when a guy engages in this he's properly labeled for what all men really are.

+1
-48
-1
Jamie Dimon posted on

A girl sleeps with more than three guys she's called a 'slut'.

A guy sleeps with more than three girls he's called a 'one-percenter'.

+1
-2
-1

What the hell is wrong with you? Sexual assault is a huge issue, and it's in no way limited to wealthy white male econ majors. This sort of dialogue diminishes the experiences of every single victim of sexual assault whose rapist does not fit into your narrow worldview.

+1
+61
-1

Furthermore, not everyone who falls into such a shallow field is a rapist. Categorization is neither warranted, nor helpful.

+1
+10
-1

Exactly. We must stop classifying this along the lines of gender/race/career, otherwise we are just discriminating/stereotyping, which is exactly what we have been fighting against for the past 50+ years.

+1
+16
-1

Hey 'lady', I'm one of those wealthy white males who majored in economics, went to Columbia Business School, went to Wall Street, and now gives a significant amount of personal wealth to undergraduate financial aid. What was I thinking to this no good undergraduate school filled with limousine liberals.

+1
+2
-1
I'm a male posted on

And me and another friend had to physically remove a dude who refused to get his crotch off of our female friend's posterior, even after she told him no. Please don't put us all in same boat. Some of us recognize our privilege and think the rape culture that is prevalent on this campus is downright repugnant

+1
+42
-1

I appreciate that, but do you want a cookie or something? This is simply the right thing to do, not something you deserve praise for. Spend your time and energy educating people who DON'T understand how prevalent rape culture is rather than calling out people like this (who seem to be subtle-trolling in the first place).

+1
-2
-1
There is NO rape CULTURE on Columbia campus posted on

there is HYSTERIA about rape culture, though, perpetuated by some. PERIOD!

+1
+1
-1

> "Once I know their gender, race, and career choice, I know exactly who they are as people."

okay, this right here is the difference between social justice and Social Justice.

+1
+4
-1

Woooooooow. Way to stereotype an entire group of people on this campus in one fell swoop of ignorance and idiocy. Congratulations, you just lost all credibility.

+1
+6
-1

They make something for people like you. Its called a vibrator, you should try on sometime.

+1
-19
-1

They make something for people like you. It's called a vibrator, you should try one sometime.

+1
-6
-1
Justice posted on

Disgusting classic male behavior? How bout you stereotype a little more. "Once i know their gender, race, and career choice, I know exactly who they are as people"......you sound absolutely ridiculous. Get over yourself.

+1
+6
-1
Justice posted on

+1
0
-1

Thank you for writing this! Much of what happened at Bacchanal didn't fall under the category precisely of harrassment, but rather, sexual assault. Unzipping someone's pants, or forcibly making out with someone, without their consent, is assault.

+1
+104
-1

Wow the amount of crap in this. I'm sorry if this happened to you but wow for you to assume this happens just to women and for you to turn something like this into a women being demeaned thing is outright reaching. The fact that he grabbed your butt is because he was drunk, stupid, a jerk, and you are probably good looking. Is it okay? No. But was he trying to demean you and your intelligence and objectify you? Of course, the drunk, fucked up on Molly trust fun baby definitely had that on his mind. God this is honestly a little annoying. Is there a problem with how this is being addressed? Yes but for you to turn a good weekend into your own personal way to talk about what happened is honestly silly. Someone danced on you guess what maybe they weren't and if they were and you walked away why didn't you tell one of the many public safety officials. There were so many people there and someone getting their pants unzipped or your friend being forcibly made out with are things you need to call an official for. People need to take this seriously and for you to wait and just write an article about it to dramatize a fun event is a little silly and childish. It might seem like I don't care about any of this but I do, I actually have tried helping raise awareness but it's things like this, when good fun times are turned into martyrdom and into excuses for drama that cause people to not take this seriously and instead mock. Just another article that spec needed to publish for people to realize the rubbish that this paper is and how pathetic it's writers are.

+1
-152
-1

what is wrong with you

+1
+82
-1
cc14 posted on

Fucking freshman.

Learn some respect and get an awareness of issues outside of your narrow bubble.

+1
-3
-1
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT posted on

Lots of crap and hysteria here! How about pushing someone away if he (or SHE!) is all over you? or saying something? When did we stop having personal responsibility in dealing with life situations, and why is it that all we want to do is march around and shout RAPE! Do you always have to play victim? No, Columbia men are NOT rapists! Are you all insane! What kind of idiocy are you spreading here? What do you think you're going to accomplish? You're creating a culture of intellectual PARALYSIS!

+1
+1
-1

Oh my god will you shut up and stop blaming the whole existence of man for every little damn thing on the spectator?

+1
-97
-1

Are you fucking kidding me? Do you seriously not get this? Try to be a human being for one fucking second and empathize: It is so horrifically scary and disgusting to be touched sexually without your consent. As a woman (although people of all genders do experience this), it happens all the fucking time. People--mostly straight men, in my experience--use crowded settings, alcohol, and other bullshit as an excuse to assault, abuse, harass, and rape women. And it's awful. It's not men's existence people have a problem with, it's their behavior. And for the record, research indicates it's a relatively small number (about 6%) or college aged men that actually engage in sexual assault, but that most of them are repeat offenders.

It is ALL of our responsibility to speak out about this, like Katie is doing, and also to step in and intervene when we see this shit going down. It is always, always, better to risk an awkward situation than to let someone's life be fucking ruined by a sexual assault--trust me.

+1
+91
-1

"It is always, always, better to risk an awkward situation than to let someone's life be fucking ruined by a sexual assault--trust me."

SECOND THAT. I was sexually assaulted earlier this semester and had to drop two courses so I could focus on emotionally recuperating from it.

+1
+37
-1

You should never feel awkward doing the right thing.

+1
+1
-1

i'm a straight man that was assaulted/stalked by multiple gay men at columbia. i also have been sexually assaulted by females but not at columbia. no problem with the rest of what you said..

+1
-3
-1
give it a rest posted on

why is it every article on the spec just saying men, specifically Columbia men, suck and are the worst people to ever exist?

+1
-49
-1

Whoa, guys. The author isn't saying only men did these things, or that women were the only targets. People of any gender ID may have done this to any other at Bacchanal. In any case, multiple wrongs don't make a right.

And I don't see anyone saying that Columbia men are horrible people, so can the hyperbole, give it a rest.

Furthermore: a lot of Facebook posts have been flying around about these events. People say they did go to public safety officials -- and were blown off, in some cases.

+1
+67
-1

This is such an important piece. Thank you.

+1
+33
-1

Dudes were just trying to have a good time.

+1
-116
-1

That's exactly the point!!! It doesn't make it acceptable!

+1
+16
-1

Dudes don't get to have a good time by forcing themselves on other people. There is a word for that: sexual assault. It's absolutely disgusting, as is the culture that makes excuses for this kind of sick thing.

I honestly can't believe we still have to explain this to people...?

+1
+53
-1

Then just enjoy the music and friendship, dudes.

+1
+5
-1
You are a posted on

trollolololol.

+1
+8
-1

I like to party, but some of you kids were just gross. Good time overall!

+1
-5
-1

you should probably stop drinking underage and blame other people for your own mistakes because you are becoming paranoid and frustrated. It's either you are hot and you got with an ugly guy, or you are bad looking and nobody wanted to get with you. Some piece of advice: You won't get harassed if you don't ask for it. You don't ask for it if you are completely sober and dressed decent. This coming from a guy who gets harassed at least once a week by girls like you.

+1
-116
-1

"This coming from a guy who gets harassed at least once a week by girls like you."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...okay buddy

+1
+41
-1
wow posted on

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you a prime example of "Rape Culture". Behold.

+1
+76
-1

This is just offensive... "You won't get harassed if you don't ask for it." Thats the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen in my life. As a decently attractive woman, I have been sexually assaulted/harassed by simply walking on the street to campus. I've been bundled up in a long ski parka, boots, scarf, gloves and a hat, basically dressed so that nothing but my face was showing. I was "sober and dressed decent" according to your standards. I didn't ask for it, but it didnt stop men from making sexual gestures, calling me names, jerking off as I walk by, inviting me to pleasure them, or making gaping faces with their jaws dropped SO LOW they could hit the floor.... I'm not blaming men as a species, alcohol, or the level of a woman's attractiveness that you so think causes this type of behavior. Im simply saying its not always a woman (or man's--like you point out) fault. My point is to generally say that issue of sexual harassment is something that needs to be brought to the public eye on behalf of all people. Offenders can be anyone and theres no reason for people to feel demeaned by it. Bacchanal provided an outlet for crazy behavior from the entire student body. Its not that men were necessarily to blame, but more often than not, it was woman who spoke out when an issue arose, as made evident by this article. Lets just keep a level head and realize that sexual harassment of any kind by anybody is not a joke.

+1
+34
-1

I love how you like to take it to the extreme just to prove me wrong, but unfortunately you didn't understand my point. Let's put it this way: when I used to get drunk many girls took advantage of me. This is why I stopped drinking and nothing bad happened since. Of course there are some people (both girls and guys) who actually get harassed like in the situation you described, but the real number is a lot lower than what people think it is. Most of the harassment occurs when alcohol is involved. The person being harassed is usually drunk AND THIS APPLIES TO BOTH MEN AND WOMEN. If all the girls would stop drinking this subject would not exist because most of the girls are feminist!Men don't complain because they are not masculist. It will be the same for us if we start crying like you.
I'm saying this because I am annoyed by the girls who get drunk and call rape. I think is their fault like it was mine when I was getting drunk. The difference is that I didn't complain about it and tried to change everybody else when it was easier to solve the problem by changing myself. Did u see what the girls who got "harassed" at Bacchanal were wearing (very provocative) and how drunk they were?
P.S. I really want to see that guy jerking off while looking at your parka

+1
-31
-1
did u even read that post? posted on

literally the whole point of it was how people are harassed when sober and wearing non provocative clothing.

Seriously, ask the women you know (do you know any??? starting to wonder???) if they've been harassed on the street and you'll find that the numbers aren't as low as you claim (with no evidence). Also men are street harassed/sexually assaulted, I only mention that you should ask your female friends because it's more frequent.

+1
+6
-1

It is against the law to initiate sexual contact with someone who is intoxicated. Why aren't you asking the people who prey on vulnerable targets to stop raping people? ...oh right, because you're a bad person.

+1
+7
-1

go back to reddit and masturbate with your mom's lotion

+1
+7
-1

Thank you, your comment shows everyone who thinks our claims are unfounded that people like you still exist.

+1
+14
-1
No. Just no. posted on

Seriously what the hell is wrong with you? From a woman who has been sexually assaulted, molested, and harassed since the age of nine, don't you DARE tell me I asked for it.
You have no right, and you should be ashamed for ever thinking a girl could ask for unwanted sexual contact.

+1
+12
-1

do you even read what i wrote? do you know who am i addressing this to? Read my other response if you are confused. You are so deep into your beliefs that you can't even read my opinion. Just to make it even clearer for you, I'm on your side, sexual assault is bad, but some people blame it on others when it's actually their fault. It might not be your case.

+1
-10
-1
reevaluate posted on

can u give an example of when sexual assault is the victim/survivor's "fault?"

Are you saying that when SOMEONE ELSE forces themselves ONTO YOU in a way that YOU DO NOT CONSENT TO and often VISIBLY REJECT, it's your fault?

+1
+6
-1

When the victim dresses like a slut and is super drunk looking for a mate. When a good looking guy assaults her she is fine but when the guy is not that good looking she cries rape. Happens all the time at columbia. Perhaps if you go out one night sober like i do you will see it. Basically she says i want to be raped by the right guy! My girlfriend agrees

+1
-39
-1

You are delusional.

+1
+19
-1

When someone is "super drunk" and "dresses like a slut", it's her fault that she was sexually assaulted?

You're pretty quick to judge the behavior of the victim, but have you ever considered the behavior of the assailants? Are you saying it's okay to take advantage of someone, to use and invade THEIR body, because they're vulnerable, or because of the way they're dressed? Because that lack of respect is what rape culture is. I don't think you entirely understand the concept.

+1
+1
-1

Yes, you seem to have figured out the idea of consent! When a woman goes out and a man in whom she is interested (not necessarily "good looking," that's bullshit) engages her in sexual activity, she is okay with it. If she does not consent to the activity because she is not interested in the guy, then yes, behold! She is not consenting! This is why, if a man (any person, not just men!) is unsure of consent he should ask! Even "good looking" guys shouldn't go around assuming -- they might be wrong, too.

+1
-2
-1

+1
0
-1

I am sorry for the individuals that were harassed. That type of behavior is not acceptable. Men must respect women.

That being said, Merriam-Webster defines bacchanal as an orgy. In other words, a wild party in which many people have sex together.

+1
-24
-1

no matter how many people are involved, if you initiate contact, you must have affirmative, freely given, enthusiastic consent. enough with the bullshit derailing etymology jokes. NOTHING gives people the right to act without consent.

+1
+19
-1
Jackie posted on

Listen to what the author is saying. She hasn't said anything about how all men are to blame for what happened, but there were some bad experiences that should be addressed.

I was showing a prospective student the school, and she was left with a terrible impression when, in the middle of the crowd at Bacchanal, a guy came behind her and put his hand down the front of her pants. That's not "dudes having a good time." That's invasive and completely out-of-line. My friends and I had guys around us who would quietly move behind us and start grinding on us uninvited, and they weren't even embarrassed when they were called out for it. No one actively works to objectify women, but it happens because a lot of guys think that it's fine to walk up to a total stranger because she's female and assume that he has a right to be sexually aggressive toward her.

On the other hand, there were a lot of really great people at Bacchanal. One guy asked another to move from our area because he was being inappropriate and wouldn't leave one of my friends alone when she was obviously uncomfortable. One guy caught me before I was crushed under a wave of people falling. It's not a universal problem, but it's still one that serious enough to be discussed openly.

+1
+26
-1

When snoop dog performed a girl backed that ass up into my private area. That's sexual assault. I wish I had written an article about it, too.

+1
-3
-1
This posted on

^^^

+1
0
-1

Agree completely with everything in this post, but look at the other side of the coin: so many girls kept backing their asses onto guys--the female equivalent of 'grabbing someone's ass.' It's ok if you're going to call out the men on Columbia's campus for engaging in sexual harassment, but please also call out the women who did the same!

Moral of the story: if no one engaged in any *harmless* ass grabbing/grinding, Bacchanal would be like a lecture in Low Library rather than a concert. Don't go around sexually abusing people, but don't flip a shit if your ass bumps against a guy or vice versa...

+1
+22
-1

amen to that

+1
+1
-1

"the female equivalent of 'grabbing someone's ass.'" the 'female equivalent of grabbing someone's ass'... is grabbing your ass. voila.

+1
+12
-1
Oh Dear posted on

I hate it when girls grind up on me while the bullshit that is EDM music lulls everyone and their grandma into hedonism, but what do you do? Just move away and realize that unfortunately social cues in a confined space do not go out the window so much as become blurred by your own interpretations, for all I know those girls were just dancing and I just happened to be in the way.

+1
-13
-1

It's pretty clear that the *harmless* accidental touches that happen when a large crowd of people is dancing are a far cry a way from unzipping a woman's pants or grabbing a woman and forcibly kissing her. It's also pretty impossible to "accidentally" grab someone's ass, where it actually is possible to accidentally grind on someone...moving your hips in a crowd and it happens to be against someone else =/= reaching out and squeezing someone's ass. This article does not complain about the inevitable accidental hand-grazing-ass that happens at concerts, at parties, on subways. You are intentionally missing the point and are part of the problem.

+1
+16
-1

Where's the Trigger warning on this?

+1
-11
-1
Barnard father posted on

Um, I hate to tell you kiddies, what you are describing is not "harassment", but outright sexual assault that is a crime and prosecutable. So be careful where you find yourself and try to distance yourself from violent drunken boys who will engage in these inexcusable actions. It is really only a short hop from these types of behaviors to "date" rape and worse. Women need to protect themselves at all times from these type of predators.

+1
-9
-1
troll posted on

Get your paternalistic bullshit out of here

+1
+5
-1

These "horrendous" things happens every year at all outdoor concerts attended by young people. You could probably publish this same article next year and no one would notice. All you would have to do is change the date or replace the word "Bacchanal" with any generic music festival i.e. Governors Ball, Coachella, etc. I guess the privileged trust fund kids of Columbia have to complain about something to make themselves feel good and not entitled. The truth hurts sometimes and Lupe fed you people some truth.

+1
+7
-1
does this really need to be said... posted on

... just 'cause it happens everywhere doesn't mean it's not wrong...

+1
+22
-1

columbia kids are dumb

+1
-3
-1

Thanks for calling this out, Katie. At Bacchanal, some horrible pervert predator started licking and then bit my neck out of nowhere. I pushed him off and then he laughed and went on his way. I have no idea who he was, and it was fucking terrifying.

And DON'T ask me if I went to report to public safety: I did not. I was kind of shocked, and it also shouldn't be my responsibility to deal with this shit when some awful moron assaults me. He's the one who fucked up; why should my experience be even more interrupted by his bullshit? NOPE.

+1
+17
-1

You were bitten by a vampire.

+1
+6
-1

There will always be perverts and criminals in the world. IT IS your responsibility to point them out to security and police. If you don't want your "experience interrupted" then don't expect anything to be done about these people. What you basically said is hey, I got shot, but I shouldn't have to report the shooter to the police, the law should magically get him. In the end, you're the one hurting and that asshole is still going around doing that without consequences.

+1
+12
-1
Barbara Karen posted on

Go girl or I should say Go Woman!!!qQ

+1
-5
-1

Not to take away from any of this, but honestly anyone, regardless of sex, can be victimized. Bacchanal and similar rave/outdoor concerts are typically a host for unsolicited touching. Does that make it okay? Nah. But does it mean that girls and guys will still do plenty of it, regardless? Most definitely.

For whatever it's worth I'm a bisexual guy. Between this and last year's Bacchanal, one guy started grinding on me WHILE I was grinding with my girlfriend. My butt was touched on more than one occasion by at least one girl and one guy. At least one individual went for a bicep squeeze.

Call this whatever you want, you may think of it as less than sexual harassment, but it sure did make me uncomfortable. I guess what upsets me more about it is that when I told people about it they laughed as though it was just a funny incident.

+1
+16
-1

"And we deserve this day. We deserve to forget about school and work and the stress of going to Columbia for a day. "

WE DESERVE NOTHING. WE ARE ENTITLED TO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. HOW DARE YOU. YOU MAKE US OUT TO BE INSIPID, INVERTEBRATE, PESTILENT SCOURGES

+1
-5
-1

This is an important topic, and I wish the author had taken some time to actually explain some of her rhetoric instead of immediately taking the typical feminist stance of saying that this is NOT OK, and expecting everyone to understand, lest they be a SHITTY HUMAN BEING.

+1
+10
-1

is this really so hard to understand? DON'T TOUCH PEOPLE WITHOUT MAKING SURE THEY'RE DEFINITELY ON BOARD FIRST jfc

+1
+8
-1

The girl who wrote this is in theta. She has zero credibility and probably gets zero tail. Sorry you look like a piece of banana bread

+1
-35
-1

Nice ad hominem brah.

+1
+14
-1

Katie, I apologize on behalf of whomever wrote this. You don't deserved to be maligned in public like that.

Spectator: I know you have a very liberal comment policy, but stuff like this really ought to be removed.

+1
+36
-1

Agreed. and BTW, Katie is AWESOME! ^_^

+1
+3
-1
Arsene Wenger /Fabulous_Fabianksi/ edition posted on

I always think you shouldn't be nasty to be people in the internet because you being nasty to them might be the thing that sends the over the edge. They might quite literally kill themselves because of your flippant comment. It's like smiling at old people when you walk past them on the street; that might be the only smile they get that day. Or that month. So it's always worth it, even if you don't feel like smiling.My grandma used to say "a smile costs nothing, but is worth so much". And I like to live by that idea, both IRL and on the internet.Some of the people on here are truly fragile; remember that. The comment you give them on here might be the only interaction they have all day. So make it a positive one.

+1
-6
-1

As a straight guy who got his ass groped at least 4 times during Chainsmokers, I can guarantee you that the sexual harassment was experienced by all on that day. *_*

+1
+14
-1

Losen up a little bit. You even admited it was supposed to be one day of party. You will never survive outside the bubble.

+1
-19
-1
Azzz Grabbin' Fool posted on

So, I've been lied to this whole time?

#disappointed

+1
+1
-1
Anon posted on

Wow, some drunken asshole touched your ass at a denaucherous, crowded, rowdy concert. Is this wrong? Yes. Is it worthy of an op-ed? No. People here are so sensitive. Give the guy a slap tell him to screw off and move on.

+1
-11
-1
Anon posted on

debaucherous*

+1
0
-1

Great article. For those saying that girls (and others) should stop drinking to avoid being sexually assaulted, give us all a break. While it is a valid point that one can better protect his/herself from assault when sober, this is advice we should be giving to those doing the assaulting. If you're going to use being drunk as an excuse for taking advantage of someone, I encourage YOU to stop drinking, not the person who was too drunk to stop you. I can't believe that this point is rarely made.

+1
+13
-1
anonymous posted on

I agree. I was just about to comment on how the most interesting part of this whole debate to me is that those who oppose the points made in the op-ed use the drunkenness of the perpetrator as an excuse for their actions, while simultaneously using the drunkenness of the victim as an incriminating factor. Is this not a double standard?

+1
+7
-1
Judith Butler posted on

Of course, drunken misogyny is unacceptable, as this article makes clear. But practice some humility; there is no need to remind everyone that we, as Columbia students, are very bright. Great cause, poor platform.

+1
-9
-1

A much necessary article. Tired of reading about these things happening. what happened to decency? What happened to mutual respect?

+1
-4
-1

Not sure about any of you guys but I have always been perfectly fine with a girl drunkenly grabbing my crotch in a crowd. It has never made me feel like an object, or feel as if I was being demeaned. I take it as a primal, alcohol induced sign of attraction. I can see anger over forcefully kissing or unzipping pants without consent being problematic, but many of you radical females have a predisposition that men are trying to objectify and sexualize you with every minor gesture.

+1
-10
-1
so sad posted on

I can't even.

+1
-4
-1

Yeah, really? "A girl"? What if it was a girl you were highly unattracted to? What if the person expressed a gender or some kind of presentation you weren't attracted to on top of it?

+1
+5
-1

The reason you're fine with this is because you've grown up in a ridiculous culture that tells you that the more action a guy gets, the higher his status. Take the feel-good status moment away, and what you have is a total stranger TOUCHING YOU WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. They're helping themselves to your body because your feelings and your privacy don't matter.

+1
+8
-1

... I mean, I'm a girl (and someone who has actually been raped), and I feel kind of the same way about my body.

In this context--an outdoor music festival, where the majority of men and women are under the influence of some substance, and many people are wearing revealing clothing, and many people are dancing in sexually suggestive ways to sexually suggestive music--a drunken grab isn't really such a big deal for me. Some rando grabs my ass? Whatever, he's drunk and horny, and I'm wearing short shorts and a see through crop top. I may not be "asking for it," but I am advertising my sexuality; in this context, my body, and certain elements of my sexuality are NOT private. If a guy continues to pursue me after I've asked him to stop, THEN it's a problem.

Now, notice, I have used PERSONAL pronouns in this post to describe MY feelings. I get it, other people have different limits, whatever, they're entitled to them. As is this dude. So don't belittle his particular preferences as to the ways in which other people treat his body.

+1
+6
-1

Don't worry. 20 years from now when you're a middle aged rectangle no one will want to bump and grind you.

+1
-9
-1

Rape Culture...

+1
+2
-1
CC 2014 Matt posted on

I think its a shame that such incidents happen especially when Bachannal is the one day almost all students take off from doing some work to participate in one way or another whether at Holi, the actual concert, or taking care of his/her drunk friends when they stumble through the door later on. Regardless of what day it is or the festivities are taking place, there is no reason for this shit to keep happening or should be accepted by anyone, especially men. I appreciate this article but I wish whoever these unfortunate incidents were happening to would have made more of a fuss during the actual occurrence so people in the vicinity could have done something about it. There will always be a handful of assholes in the crowd but if you have everyone else who thinks this is shameful and unacceptable (males included) around reacting instead of just the victim, there may be a bigger impact not only during festivities like Bachannal but in changing the culture as a whole here at CU for the better.

Regardless, I'm sorry to everyone who had a similar experience.

+1
-3
-1
student posted on

That's why I just don't go to these things. As a woman I would have to be consistently on edge so that I could attempt to not be sexually harassed and even then I'm not free.

+1
+2
-1
Clearly A Male posted on

I'm sure I will get down voted for this because after reading your comments I can see that many of the females posting don't realize their own hypocrisy. I strongly agree with what is written in this article, but only to an extent. The fact of the matter is sexual harassment is a real issue that is going to be hard to get rid of. By reading this article I can tell you probably don't get out much, from personal experience I can tell you this happens at almost every similar event I've attended. Not that it makes this kind of behavior okay. At the same time for many of you to belittle and generalize males "Disgusting, classic male behavior. They are horrible, especially white men who want to go into finance. Once I know their gender, race, and career choice, I know exactly who they are as people." Is one of the most rediculous statements I've read in a while. To be honest your giving a real bad look to a real good thing (feminism). Just as you might expect male Columbia students to hold themselves to a higher standard than the general male population in the same age group in regards to their behavior I would expect Columbia educated women to also be above making such gross generalizations and sexist comments. I will leave you with one last thing. If your going to highlight wrongs committed by men during Bacchanal i suggest you also point out the extremely sexist, racist, and ignorant things said by Lupe Fiasco for example the use of the words "bitches, hoes, and niggas." If your going to hate men at least hate them all equally.

+1
+11
-1
Billy posted on

A Legend

+1
-5
-1
lol ok posted on

Derailing much?

+1
-4
-1
Lupe Fiasco posted on

Bitch bad, woman good, lady better

+1
+10
-1
Think About It posted on

In the spirit of friendly, constructive, open minded discussion which apparently many of you have clearly ignored/ forgotten about I'd like to bring up a thought. Think about if an article of similar fashion was written about women, African-Americans, Muslims, Hispanics, or any other group of people other than well-off white men and there would be complete and total uproar. I know you all have good intentions, but you would be taken more seriously if you approached this in a more decent, less close-minded way.

+1
-2
-1

Lucky for me I fall under the "too intimidated by every girl on this campus" category otherwise I might have dared ask a girl to dance.

+1
+4
-1

Over/Under 6 months the last time the author of this horrendous article has gotten laid.

+1
-28
-1

+1
-15
-1

I'm not trying to say that everything that happened is right, but really in the united states we have it so nice that we need to find the smallest things to complain about.. Meanwhile in DRC over 3,600 women, children, and men were raped over the past four years because of political views...

+1
-5
-1
CC '15 posted on

Pointing to atrocities that are happening elsewhere doesn't delegitimize THIS problem. (Why specifically the DRC, by the way?) I don't wish I were being raped and tortured for my political views, but sexual harassment and rape culture cause real harm, and we have every right to address it.

+1
+20
-1

Valid point, but limiting the victims to just women is a little small minded. I am a man who had my body violated several times in the concert by men and women behind me. Alcohol is the larger problem, didn't see any stoned people doing this. Ultimately, the worst concert goers in my opinion were the girls who repeatedly bounced their asses into innocent peoples faces while perched atop some juiced up bro's shoulders.... not sure if that is sexual harassment but it was physically painful and disgusting.

+1
+5
-1

I've been raped by a woman here--at Columbia. Literally sleeping in my bed, passed out drunk (it's not uncommon for me to drink myself into a incoherent sleep just to get by), and in walks this sloppy, stinky slut. Bangs me Lickety-split. I wake up the next morning to her in my bed, my favorite Fruit of the Looms around my ankles. I learn the next day that she told my friends that she left her Chapstick or one of them Lip Balm Spheres as they call them nowadays in my room. Heretofore you thought rape culture only existed within the shallow paradigm of male to female (maybe male on male) but no, here at Columbia it seems there are no nonesuches--all paradigms are meant to be broken I guess. Moreover, this was no maenadic day like the above article. But I'll leave you with this if you ever are subjected to such torture as rape, you better hope for some anaphia because its about the furthest thing from anemophilous. Lastly some geist for all you gaumless, genophobic sheeple: "Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, & those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink."

+1
-5
-1

It's quite frankly depressing that Columbia-educated men are missing the point so broadly when it comes to the purpose of making generalizations. When women say "all men~" or people of color say "all white people~," they KNOW that there are exceptions to the rule, that there are men and white people, and even white men, who actively struggle against oppressive structures and do their best to avoid oppressive behavior. However, those who are responding to these generalizations by protesting against them, protesting "oh, I'M not like that," are proving that they are, in fact, "like that." Members of oppressive groups who TRULY are not "like that" will understand that the generalization is not meant to specifically impugn them as an individual, but to impugn the oppressive structures that facilitate the VAST MAJORITY of people being "like that." Furthermore, such generalizations should incite you to re-examine yourself, question whether maybe, even if in small part, you ARE "like that." Step up to the plate. And for god's sake, stop fucking WHINING. It's funny how everyone who criticizes the "overreaction" of this article then proceeds to whine and complain about how oppressive feminism/women are to them.

+1
-5
-1

Bullshit!

+1
-1
-1
Recent CC Alum posted on

I think Columbia students should have more consensual sex with each other and study less. Really, this is supposed to be the best time of your life. Have fun.

+1
+1
-1
anon@anon.com posted on

Is it weird that this article kind of turned me on?

+1
-20
-1
Misconception posted on

There is a misconception that when someone is drunk, he/she isn't his/her real self, while it's actually the opposite. When someone gets drunk he/she is disinhibited and he/she shows himself/herself as he/she really is. If you want to know if you can trust someone, get him/her drunk, and you'll find out. The individuals Katie describes aren't trustworthy under any circumstance.

+1
-1
-1

Most of the problems were caused by non Columbia students and grad students. Just keep them out.

+1
+1
-1
Evan Drewry posted on

this is RETARDED. PUBLISHING OP-ED ARTICLES ON THE INTERNET IS NOT THE WAY TO STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

+1
-7
-1
Evan Drewry posted on

+1
-2
-1

Actually though, spread the word to end the word

+1
0
-1