To the Editor: 

This is a note to the Columbia community. 

This past weekend marked the end of the 2013-14 Ivy League basketball regular season—and what a wonderful year it was for our men's basketball team! Thank you for your tremendous support!

This year, our men's basketball team won 13 games at home, the most in a single season since Levien Gymnasium opened four decades ago. The team finished 19-12 overall and 8-6 in the Ivy League, marking the most wins in a single season since 1969-70, and the first winning Ivy League season since 1992-93.

Looking around Levien on Friday and Saturday nights all throughout the basketball season, it was easy to see why we have one of the best home-court advantages in the Ivy League: our incredibly loyal fans.

I am so proud of the tremendous support that men's basketball has received from our faculty, staff, friends, alumni, and parents this year. What was really special was the passionate cheering of our students. Led by our Spirit Groups—the cheerleaders, dance team, pep band, and the young men and women who make Roar-ee come to life—the Columbia student section was one of the most energetic and spirited in the entire Ivy League.

Students came to the games wearing their Columbia blue and cheered loudly to the very last second of every game. Your passion and support means so much to your classmates who represent Columbia in varsity competition. Your support truly makes a difference!

With the spring sports season underway, I invite all students to support our teams in action. They are counting on you!

Thanks again, and Roar, Lion, Roar!

M. Dianne Murphy
Director, Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education
March 10, 2014

To respond to this letter, or to submit an op-ed, contact

Men's Basketball Columbia Athletics M. Dianne Murphy athletics basketball school spirit