Opinion | Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: A simple fix for lockouts

• Yue Ben / Senior Staff Photographer
    Locke'd | At what point is a paid service superseded by a student's responsibility for his or her property?

To the Editor:

I was dismayed to read in Elizabeth Sedran’s article (“Housing may charge fee for repeated room lockouts,” March 4) that I will now be charged for my morning walks from Claremont to the Hospitality Desk in Hartley. Few people may know this, but according to Wikipedia, the intersection of Claremont Avenue and 116th Street is the windiest in all of Manhattan—and there is nothing quite so pleasant as a stroll around that corner at 6 a.m. on a brisk March day. Thus far, my only occasions for these walks have been the few happy times I have locked myself out of my room. But now that the Hospitality Desk’s hospitality will cost me $5 after two simple slip-ups, I think I shall simply stop locking myself out altogether.

I understand that the money collected under this new policy will go toward a project chosen by us students. (I’ve set up a petition for one.) Perhaps that project could be the creation of a pile of cash right next to the Hospitality Desk, from which any locked-out student could reimburse him or herself?

Sinclair Target, CC ’15
March 4, 2014

To respond to this letter, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

SIGN THE PETITION!! This policy sucks!!! http://www.change.org/petitions/columbia-housing-don-t-charge-students-for-borrowing-keys-4

+1
+5
-1
On the fence posted on

"But now that the Hospitality Desk’s hospitality will cost me $5 after two simple slip-ups, I think I shall simply stop locking myself out altogether." Isn't this exactly the point?
Do you agree that people are going to be more careful when leaving their room now that it will cost actual money? Which will lead to fewer lock-outs? Mistakes happen, but I think the three free lock-outs should be enough for most people.
That said, I don't think this policy is perfect and I admire your petition. I just don't think it's quite as terrible as you're making it out to be.

+1
-2
-1

It's called sarcasm...

+1
+2
-1

perhaps the effort to remember passwords and liturgical fragments would be better applied to issue facing real key situations. a mind is a wonderful thing, when used.

+1
+14
-1