Opinion | Staff Editorials

Events management should be more flexible

Scheduling events has never been easy. Last December, the Columbia College Student Council passed a resolution to create the University Event Management Student Events Advisory Committee in order to respond to space issues brought up by students. With issues ranging from a malfunctioning and infrequently updated website to a lack of communication between administrative offices, the space-booking process has long been a problem for students across all four undergraduate schools. 

At the beginning of last semester, University Event Management launched weekly afternoon classes to clarify the space-booking process for students and help to access, navigate, and read what can be a complicated website. However, these classes have had low attendance, and problems still persist. While educating students new to the space-booking process can be beneficial in ensuring that all student groups are able to reserve rooms, the Student Events Advisory Committee should focus more on reassessing the way space is being allocated and managed. 

We agree with many of the goals listed in the resolution passed by CCSC and those suggested by students: opening up more classroom space by establishing a working relationship between UEM and the Office of the Registrar, allowing space-bookings in Hamilton before 8 p.m., creating an aggregate space database, holding student groups more accountable for the spaces booked, and encouraging UEM to check up on those spaces.

UEM restrictions in booking classroom space create a disorderly culture in which student organizations often have to explore campus in the hopes of finding an empty room. Underutilized classroom space is one of the biggest problems for student groups because there’s not an organized way of reallocating it. However, checks also need to be placed on students in order to prevent booked spaces from going unused. One possibility is a check-in system that asks students if they’d still like to reserve the space a week before their event. If student groups were then allowed to book rooms with less than a week’s notice, this would ensure that space could be used by those who need it. UEM must also do its part by holding random check-ins to make sure the space is being used and organizations are making consistent, valuable use of the space they’ve booked.

According to the UEM executive director, Joseph Ricciutti, the precalendaring process and the advance calendaring process are meant to give all groups a fair chance at booking space. However, it is worth questioning whether the precalendaring process is truly effective for all kinds of events or only for large-scale events and weekly meetings. It is not possible for some smaller student groups, at the time of precalendering, to know exactly when the following semester’s events will take place. As a result, many find themselves being assigned spaces for dates that they guessed would be useful months before, but that actually conflict with their schedules—reservations that might have been useful for other organizations. 

As the SEAC continues its talks with UEM administrators and seeks the opinions of students on what changes would help the space-booking process, we encourage the governing boards to keep in mind the needs of all kinds of campus organizations. To this end, we believe that the representatives of the governing boards on the SEAC should be those who are most familiar with a diverse range of student organization needs.

With some substantive changes to make events scheduling more flexible, student groups could manage space more efficiently—a must in these tight quarters.

Meet the editorial board »

To respond to this staff editorial, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

WEVauUZE posted on

tramadol online no prescription tramadol withdrawal xanax - tramadol headache

+1
0
-1
wwIKJhRC posted on

internet tramadol no prescription mastercard - where to buy tramadol online forum

+1
0
-1
TVPmYeCz posted on

buy tramadol online co jest tramadol 50mg - tramadol addiction recovery

+1
0
-1
usXFclPt posted on

buy tramadol online what is tramadol ultram used for - 50mg tramadol lot

+1
0
-1
iDqIOjdR posted on

buy valium online illegal cost of generic valium without insurance - low dose valium anxiety

+1
0
-1
zDxjzk posted on

buy tramadol online tramadol 50 mg take - tramadol overdose serotonin

+1
0
-1
RfAdw posted on

reference xanax pills appearance - xanax 2mg buy

+1
0
-1
FgwhT posted on

to learn more is ordering valium online legal - generic valium pill identification

+1
0
-1
cwoITWJ posted on

Read This best generic tramadol - buy tramadol no prescription cod

+1
0
-1
TXaUWjC posted on

More Help tramadol addiction dogs - tramadol addiction and suboxone

+1
0
-1
AdCtA posted on

ambien order online no prescription ambien online no rx - generic ambien e 79

+1
0
-1
TbTfGQwy posted on

visit ultram in urine drug screen - ultram for fever

+1
0
-1
TRCmx posted on

here. ambien side effects headache - ambien overdose how many

+1
0
-1
oruPk posted on

buy ambien who makes generic ambien cr - ambien side effects throwing up

+1
0
-1
DBkZl posted on

to learn more generic ambien vs brand - withdrawal ambien insomnia

+1
0
-1
elzvZ posted on

more buy ambien online no prescription - ambien to order online

+1
0
-1
gDevG posted on

other buy provigil online in u.s - how much does provigil cost per month

+1
0
-1
YDbjM posted on

buy tramadol no prescription overnight buy tramadol visa - purchase tramadol cod

+1
0
-1
LkXUcVO posted on

buy diazepam without prescription diazepam+dosage+claustrophobia - diazepam online rezeptfrei bestellen

+1
0
-1
OMMLtVQ posted on

Website buy tramadol online reviews - tramadol 50mg value

+1
0
-1
mMoNUmvt posted on

web tramadol for dogs side effects panting - tramadol for dogs in liquid

+1
0
-1
XKOfK posted on

order valium online cod valium side effects anxiety - buy valium legally

+1
0
-1
jYlWe posted on

more information tramadol hcl 50 mg abuse - buy-tramadol

+1
0
-1