As interim coordinator, Wright will oversee student Title IX complaints.

Associate Director for Community Standards and Deputy Title IX Coordinator Katie Wright will serve as the interim Title IX coordinator following the departure of former Associate Dean for Equity and Title IX Coordinator Amy Zavadil.

The announcement, which was sent in an email to the Barnard community on Friday evening from Dean of the College Avis Hinkson, also stated that Vice President of Human Resources Catherine Geddis will still continue to serve as the deputy Title IX coordinator overseeing gender-based misconduct complaints made by faculty and staff.

Deputy General Counsel Andrea Stagg will oversee “staff training, risk management and Clery Act consultation” and Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman will oversee issues related to academic integrity and violations of the Honor Code. The college has already begun searching for the new permanent executive director of equity, in addition to searching for a program coordinator to oversee Title IX and equity awareness programming on campus.

Read below for the full email:

Dear Barnard Community,

Happy New Year! Before the holiday, I announced that Dean Amy Zavadil would be leaving Barnard today, January 6, for a new role as the Title IX/504 Coordinator and Equity Officer at University of Dayton.  Given her departure, I am writing to share interim plans for covering the responsibilities of the Associate Dean of Equity.

I am pleased to announce that Katie Wright will serve as the Interim Title IX Officer.  Since joining Barnard, Katie has served as the Associate Director for Community Standards and the Deputy Title IX Coordinator and has a strong foundation with these issues.

Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman will address matters of academic integrity or possible violations of the Honor Code. And other responsibilities managed by Dean Zavadil, including staff training, risk management and Clery Act consultation, will be handled by Deputy General Counsel Andrea Stagg in the interim.

Finally, Vice President of Human Resources and Deputy Title IX Coordinator Catherine Geddis will continue to take the lead on addressing concerns or complaints from faculty or staff.

A heartfelt thanks to Katie Wright, Andrea Stagg, Catherine Geddis, and Natalie Friedman for their ongoing dedication and for their additional support in this period of transition.

The search for our new Executive Director of Equity has been initiated, and I look forward to filling this position as soon as possible.  Concurrently, as I wrote to you last month, we have also begun to search for a new Program Coordinator who will work with Well Woman Program Director Jessica Cannon to enhance training and prevention efforts on campus, and to continue to raise awareness about sexual misconduct and how best to prevent it.

If you have any questions about the interim plan, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly or consult the website for more information: https://barnard.edu/doc/titleix.

Respectfully,

Avis Hinkson

Dean of the College

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

Title IX barnard Avis Hinkson