Anna Alonso for Spectator

Associate Dean for Equity and Title IX Coordinator Amy Zavadil will be leaving after five years at Barnard.

Associate Dean for Equity and Title IX Coordinator Amy Zavadil will be leaving Barnard on January 6 to become the Title IX/504 Coordinator and Equity Officer at University of Dayton, Dean of the College Avis Hinkson announced in an email Friday.

Zavadil, who has been at Barnard for five years, was the first designated Title IX Coordinator for the college. She was also responsible for overseeing the Office of Disability Services.

Under her tenure, Being Barnard—an education and awareness campaign dedicated to issues of wellness, relationships, intervention, social identities and social power, and violence education —was implemented to comply with a New York State law. The voluntary program has received mixed reactions from students and faculty due to low student participation and awareness.

Zavadil also implemented an annual campus climate survey to measure sexual assault on campus. In the most recent survey, 20 percent of Barnard students reported that they had experienced sexual assault in the last year.

Hinkson announced that following Zavadil’s departure, Barnard will be looking to hire a program coordinator, who will be responsible for planning and implementing sexual assault prevention education training as a part of Being Barnard. The new position will report to Well Woman Program Director Jessica Cannon.

A search for Zavadil’s replacement will begin soon, according to Hinkson, but the responsibilities of the position will be distributed across the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of General Counsel on an interim basis.

Read the email in full below.

Dear Barnard Community,

I am writing to announce that Amy Zavadil, Associate Dean for Equity, will be leaving Barnard effective January 6 to become the Title IX/504 Coordinator and Equity Officer at University of Dayton. She has been a valued member of the Barnard community for more than five years and will certainly be missed.

Dean Zavadil was the College's first designated Title IX Officer and has provided exemplary work in the areas of training, investigations, program development, and coordination with Columbia University for students, staff and faculty who experience harassment or discrimination. Working closely with SGA, she has made students' needs a priority and has been committed to providing transparency around results of the annual campus climate survey. She has also offered exceptional support to faculty and staff as federal and state regulations evolve and require additional resources and programming.

As a part of her role, Dean Zavadil also supervised the Office of Disability Services, overseeing the Office's growth and service provision to faculty, staff and students.

An Executive Director for Equity position will be posted shortly. After January 6, responsibilities will be distributed across the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of the General Counsel.  I will send a more detailed update about interim procedures at that time.

In addition to filling this position, we are also adding a Program Coordinator who will be responsible for planning and implementing of training, as part of Being Barnard, to help prevent misconduct on campus. This new position will report to Well Woman Program Director Jessica Cannon.

Please join me in thanking Amy Zavadil for her consummate professionalism and dedication over the past five years and in wishing her well in this next chapter of her life.

Sincerely,

Avis Hinkson

Dean of the College

jessica.spitz@columbiaspectator.com | @jjspitz1

Title IX Amy Zavadil
nextstory