Courtesy of Facebook

Columbia College senior Mounia Abousaid has passed away.

Columbia College senior Mounia Abousaid has died, according to an email sent by Columbia College Dean James Valentini on Monday morning.

Abousaid, who was a resident of Broadway Residence Hall, was a comparative literature and society major from Rabat, Morocco. She was previously awarded a King's Crown Leadership Award for Ethics & Morality in 2013.

Broadway Hall's 14th floor West Lounge will be open on Monday from 12 to 5 p.m. as a gathering space for students. Members of Counseling and Psychological Services, Residential Life, and the Office of the University Chaplain will be in attendance.

CPS will also have walk-in hours from 6 to 9 p.m. on the fifth floor of Lerner Hall, 100 Carman Hall, 600 West 113th St., room 2BB, and 102 Broadway Hall. Advisers from the Berick Center for Student Advising can also be reached at 212-854-6378.

“As you finish your finals this week, please take care of yourself and those around you,” Valentini wrote. “I know that all of you join me in sending our deepest condolences to Mounia's family and friends, and ask that you keep them in your thoughts in the days ahead.”

Read the email in full below and check back for updates.

Dear Students,

It is with great sadness that I write with some difficult news for our community. Mounia Abousaid, a Columbia College senior from Rabat, Morocco, and a resident of Broadway Hall, has passed away.

Mounia was a Comparative Literature and Society major who came to Columbia from the United World College in New Mexico, and was previously recognized for campus contributions with a King's Crown Leadership Award. We have been in contact with Mounia's family to provide support and assistance during this difficult time.

When we lose a member of our community, we are all affected. I encourage you to rely on one another and on University resources for support. The Broadway Residence Hall 14th Floor West Lounge will be open as a gathering space from noon until 5 p.m. today. Staff from offices including Counseling and Psychological Services, Residential Life and the Office of the University Chaplain will be there to support you.

Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878) will have walk-in hours today from 6 to 9 p.m. on the 5th floor of Lerner Hall, 100 Carman Hall, 600 W. 113th St, Room 2BB, and 102 Broadway Hall, in addition to their regular hours in Lerner Hall. You may also seek support from Residential Life staff, as well as the Office of the University Chaplain (212-854-1493).

Your advisers in the Berick Center for Student Advising (212-854-6378) are also available to talk with you about any concerns. Please reach out if you feel that your finals or your academic work is being affected.

As you finish your finals this week, please take care of yourself and those around you. I know that all of you join me in sending our deepest condolences to Mounia's family and friends, and ask that you keep them in your thoughts in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

James J. Valentini

Dean of Columbia College and

Vice President for Undergraduate Education

jclara.chan@columbiaspectator.com | @jclarachan

Columbia College broadway hall
nextstory