Amale Andraos named Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation dean

Amale Andraos will become the new dean of the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation on Sept. 1, University President Lee Bollinger announced in a press release on Tuesday.

Andraos, an associate professor of architecture, planning and preservation at GSAPP since 2011 and a principal at WORKac., will succeed Mark Wigley, who announced he would retire at the end of the 2013-2014 academic year in September 2013 after holding the position for nine years.

“Columbia is already a leader in addressing the challenges of high-speed urbanization around the globe and I believe it can lead in recasting architecture in dialogue with our urban societies and the natural environment,” Andraos said in the release. “This is a School whose creativity and diversity of global perspectives makes it an ideal place to consider these large issues and ideas, and I am honored by the opportunity to continue and expand on work that Mark Wigley has done in welcoming people like me to the conversation.”

In his announcement, Bollinger thanked Wigley for his service and praised Andraos as a “new leader among a rising generation of creative architects and designers of our physical environment.”

“She is just the kind of person who can further expand the role of the School as a center of interdisciplinary thinking across Columbia about how to develop a more just and sustainable society,” Bollinger said.

Andraos has overseen a number of projects, including the Children’s Museum for the Arts in Manhattan, the Blaffer Museum in Houston, and the master plans for seven college campuses in China, according to the release.

She also serves on the advisory board of the Architectural League of New York, the steering committee of the Columbia Global Centers, Middle East, and the advisory board of the Arab Center for Architecture. She has also previously taught at Harvard, Princeton, Parsons School of Design, and the University of Pennsylvania.

Check back for updates.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney