School of Continuing Education dean to step down at end of academic year

Kristine Billmyer will step down as dean of the School of Continuing Education at the end of the academic year, University President Lee Bollinger announced in an email on Wednesday.

According to Bollinger, Billmyer—who became dean in 2009—will return to the Columbia faculty after she steps down.

As dean, Billmyer introduced a series of online master's degrees programs and worked to establish collaborations with fifteen other Columbia schools, including the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the School of International and Public Affairs, and thirty institutions abroad, Bollinger's email said.

"Together these achievements have driven significant enrollment growth and contributed to the broader University community," Bollinger said in the email. "Kristine will leave to her successor a school that is positioned to further enhance its contributions to Columbia and to the field of continuing education."

Bollinger's email did not mention a search process to find a new dean for the school.

Check back for updates.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

Correction: An earlier version of this story misspelled Billmyer's first name on one instance. Spectator regrets the error.