Law professor Suzanne Goldberg will serve as a special advisor to University President Lee Bollinger on sexual assault prevention and response, Bollinger announced on Thursday.

Updated, 7/24, 5:51 p.m.

Law professor Suzanne Goldberg will serve as a special advisor to University President Lee Bollinger on sexual assault prevention and response, Bollinger announced in an email on Thursday.

Goldberg, who currently serves as the director of the Law School's Center for Gender and Sexuality Law and the Sexuality and Gender Law Clinic, will help organize and determine the structure for the office of the Executive Vice President for Student Affairs—a position Bollinger created in the spring to serve as a point person for students on sexual assault and other University issues.

Goldberg, whose area of expertise include sexuality and gender law and civil rights, will also help determine programming on gender-based misconduct prevention "that is appropriate for all returning students, faculty, and staff."

"A respected national expert in gender and sexuality law, Suzanne will bring her formidable experience to bear on all aspects of our efforts to address gender-based and sexual misconduct, from prevention and training to response and adjudication," Bollinger said in the email.

Goldberg said in an interview on Thursday that she's "very happy to have the opportunity to work on this issue with the Columbia community."

"As we all know, the issues related to sexual assault prevention response on campus are enormously important and challenging, and I hope that I can bring some of my expertise to bear," Goldberg added.

Goldberg—who lobbied the Department of Defense to revamp its sexual assault investigation and adjudication policies in June—said that she was impressed by the Columbia administration's commitment to addressing these issues.

"There are tremendous resources and activities already in place. My aims are to leverage those efforts across the University to focus on prevention and training throughout the school year and to support a climate on campus where each of us feels responsible to create a respectful and safe community," Goldberg said. "The specifics are that I'm working now on the issues that the president has outlined, including policy, training, resources, and more."

Bollinger said in the email that the national search for the new EVP for Student Affairs is underway and that he hopes to announce an appointment by the early fall. He added that a student advisory committee of undergraduates and graduate students from the Morningside and Columbia University Medical Center had been assembled to assist with the search.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

sexual assault Lee Bollinger