Law professor appointed special advisor to Bollinger on sexual assault

• SPECIAL ADVISOR | Law professor Suzanne Goldberg will serve as a special advisor to University President Lee Bollinger on sexual assault prevention and response, Bollinger announced on Thursday.

Updated, 7/24, 5:51 p.m.

Law professor Suzanne Goldberg will serve as a special advisor to University President Lee Bollinger on sexual assault prevention and response, Bollinger announced in an email on Thursday.

Goldberg, who currently serves as the director of the Law School’s Center for Gender and Sexuality Law and the Sexuality and Gender Law Clinic, will help organize and determine the structure for the office of the Executive Vice President for Student Affairs—a position Bollinger created in the spring to serve as a point person for students on sexual assault and other University issues.

Goldberg, whose area of expertise include sexuality and gender law and civil rights, will also help determine programming on gender-based misconduct prevention "that is appropriate for all returning students, faculty, and staff."

"A respected national expert in gender and sexuality law, Suzanne will bring her formidable experience to bear on all aspects of our efforts to address gender-based and sexual misconduct, from prevention and training to response and adjudication," Bollinger said in the email.

Goldberg said in an interview on Thursday that she's "very happy to have the opportunity to work on this issue with the Columbia community."

"As we all know, the issues related to sexual assault prevention response on campus are enormously important and challenging, and I hope that I can bring some of my expertise to bear," Goldberg added.

Goldberg—who lobbied the Department of Defense to revamp its sexual assault investigation and adjudication policies in June—said that she was impressed by the Columbia administration's commitment to addressing these issues.

"There are tremendous resources and activities already in place. My aims are to leverage those efforts across the University to focus on prevention and training throughout the school year and to support a climate on campus where each of us feels responsible to create a respectful and safe community," Goldberg said. "The specifics are that I'm working now on the issues that the president has outlined, including policy, training, resources, and more."

Bollinger said in the email that the national search for the new EVP for Student Affairs is underway and that he hopes to announce an appointment by the early fall. He added that a student advisory committee of undergraduates and graduate students from the Morningside and Columbia University Medical Center had been assembled to assist with the search.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

sexual assault is a myth... if a girl gets raped she deserves it because of the slutty clothes she was wearing... screw Bollinger and the administration and their stupid attempts to promote fucking feminism

+1
-18
-1

Troll in the dungeons! Troll in the dungeons! I thought you'd like to know... *faints*

+1
+3
-1

President Bollinger, If you really want to solve a problem, then solve it. Don't restructure and office, search for somebody to fill it, and appoint a lawyer to advise in doing it. That should be obvious to an educated and experienced man like you. Therefore, that you still do these silly things means that you are bad, and that it is time for Columbia University to get rid of you.

+1
-2
-1

That makes absolutely no sense

+1
-1
-1

Thank you, Columbia legal counsel.

+1
-3
-1
CU_Alum posted on

The same (apparently) user once accused me of being Columbia's legal counsel when I disagreed with him. Apparently he thinks nobody outside that office could possibly doubt him.

+1
-3
-1

This person seems to think that a Columbia legal counsel is someone to despise. He is wrong. You cannot fault someone for doing a job for Bollinger, all other considerations be damned. You cannot make considerations too complex for these people. It's only a university.

+1
-1
-1

It's perfectly normal and acceptable for a university president to delegate certain issues to specialized academics. It's a sign of responsible behavior, since he (she) can't attend every issue with the necessary depth. I once heard from some other university president that he felt strange if by the end of the day there hadn't been any major problem to solve. It wasn't normal.

+1
0
-1

It is disappointing for the Columbia University president to stretch out a problem for years and years, and then when finally he feels the necessity to do something, instead to restructure an office and then to appoint an expert. It's as if he is trying to show his credentials for being the next president of Palestine, or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Honduras. Actually let me take that back. It is not disappointing. It is despicable.

+1
-4
-1

No, it is not acceptable. This has been going on for years. It's indicative of the broken administration Lee Bollinger has brought to this university, and the culture he sustains. Here's another way to think about it: while he was out daydreaming (no doubt while on a luxury vacation paid for by Columbia, or fancy dinner on the town) these horrible events were unfolding for our students right here on this campus.

+1
-1
-1

Here we go!!! The final destruction of morality regarding what makes men and women special and different. Columbia again leads the way!!!

+1
-2
-1