Board of trustees co-chair Campbell retires, succeeded by Schiller

• CHANGING OF THE GUARD | William Campbell, CC ’62, TC ’64, who has chaired the Columbia board of trustees for nine years, is retiring from his post. He is succeeded by his his co-chair Jonathan Schiller, CC ’69, Law ’73.

William Campbell, CC ’62, TC ’64, who has chaired the Columbia board of trustees for nine years, is retiring from his post, the board announced on Wednesday.

Campbell, who has served on the board since 2003 and as the board’s chair since 2005, is succeeded by his co-chair Jonathan Schiller, CC ’69, Law ’73. Schiller, who was named to the board in 2009, was elected to serve as co-chair alongside Campbell in December until Campbell chose to retire.

“As I said when the board selected Jonathan as our next chair late last year, Columbia is extremely fortunate to have a person of his talent and character to take on this leadership role,” Campbell said in a press release. “Our Board and the University will benefit from Jonathan’s experience, judgment and deep devotion to Columbia in building on the extraordinary progress of recent years.”

Schiller, a managing partner and co-founder of the law firm Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, joined the board in 2009. He also serves on the Columbia Law School Dean’s Council and endowed a scholarship for Columbia College students in 2011.

“I am looking forward to working with my fellow trustees, with Lee and his superb management team, with students, faculty and alumni in the same inclusive, affirmative spirit that Bill Campbell has brought to the Board and the Columbia community,” Schiller said in the release.

Schiller was a member of Columbia’s Ivy League championship-winning basketball team in 1968 and was awarded the University’s two highest honors—the John Jay Award in 2006 and the Hamilton Medal in 2012.

University President Lee Bollinger thanked Campbell, the current chairman and former CEO and president of Intuit Inc. and a member of the board of Apple, for his service on the board and for his “irrepressible spirit and enduring loyalty and friendship he has brought to the institution, and to me personally.”

Campbell, who was awarded the John Jay Award in 1991 and the Hamilton Medal in 2000, is as an avid fan of Columbia’s football team. He captained the team that won Columbia’s first and only Ivy League championship in 1961, and coached the team from 1974 to 1979.

He donated $10 million to help fund the Campbell Sports Center at the Baker Athletics Complex in 2007. The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame renamed an academic-based athletic scholarship award after Campbell in 2009.  

Campbell spoke about how Columbia—and athletics—had defined him at the Hamilton Dinner in his honor in 2000.

“I know it would be PC to say my defining moment at Columbia was profoundly academic. But I say, ‘Eh, football, and maybe rugby,’” Campbell said. “This wild but somehow structured learning environment can’t help but give you confidence.”

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney