Barnard adds six members to board of trustees

• WELCOME TRUSTEES | Barnard added six members to its board of trustees on Tuesday, including choreographer Twyla Tharp, BC ’63, and actor Dylan McDermott.

Barnard added six members to its board of trustees on Tuesday, including choreographer Twyla Tharp, BC ’63, and actor Dylan McDermott.

Warren Wilson College President Steven Solnick, philanthropist Carolina Steinbruch, NLabs Inc. chairman Allen Salmasi, and Newman Management Consulting CEO Terry Newman, BC ’79, will also join the board.

Board chair Jolyne Caruso-FitzGerald, BC ’81, and Barnard President Debora Spar announced the new appointments in a press release on Tuesday.

“It is an exciting moment at Barnard, as we undertake the largest capital campaign in the College’s history, and prepare to build an innovative new teaching and learning facility in the heart of our campus. Our incoming trustees will bring fresh perspectives and new ideas during this pivotal time,” Spar said in the release.

Tharp founded her own dance company in 1966, which would later merge with the American Ballet Theatre, and has received two Emmy Awards, a Tony Award, and the 2008 Kennedy Center Honor for her work. In fall 2014, she will return to her alma mater for the year to teach master classes and workshops as Barnard’s distinguished guest artist.

McDermott, a Barnard parent, has appeared in “American Horror Story,” “Steel Magnolias,” and “The Practice,” for which he received a Golden Globe.

Solnick has served as the president of Warren Wilson College in North Carolina since 2012 and on the Council of Foreign Relations since 2001. He was previously an associate political science professor at Columbia and the coordinator for Russian Studies at the Harriman Institute.

Steinbruch, the mother of a Barnard alumna, has worked with the Women’s Committee for the Federation of Industries of São Paulo and Congregação Israelita Paulista. She was also involved with Barnard's fifth annual global symposium in Brazil in 2013.

Salmasi, the father of a Barnard student, currently chairs venture capitalist firm NLabs Inc. He founded NextWave Wireless Inc., where he served as CEO and chairman, in 2005. AT&T aquired NextWave in a deal announced in August 2012.

Newman, the incoming president of the Alumnae Association of Barnard College, is the CEO of Newman Management Consulting, an executive coaching and consulting firm.

Barnard also added three members to its board of trustees in March.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

glen b posted on

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I've been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some action of government. I've been assaulted thousands of times over the past decade now, I'm sure that estimate is accurate....the other day one of my cats was bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually have scabs on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. According to one report this results from my publication of Ronald Reagan quotes and biographical facts, indisputable and in fact from wikipedia. The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it. My tooth was knocked out in increments, over a 2 year span by energy weaponry assaults, for stating and proving the crimes committed by the federal government, absolute torture, like having a tooth drilled without novocaine for several hours.
If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L --though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit

+1
-2
-1