Senior profile: Sam Marc, BC

• Cindy Ma / Senior Staff Photographer
    Barnard for LIFE | “I have zero problem saying that I live and breathe Barnard 1,000 percent,” Sam Marc said.

This senior profile is part of Spectator’s 2014 commencement special issue. Check out the 17 other senior profiles, the class day ceremony recaps, and a timeline of the biggest events of the last four years.

Before starting her first year, Sam Marc, BC ’14, applied to work in Barnard’s Student Life office.

“I knew I wanted to come to Barnard since forever,” she said. “Obviously the closer I got to making college a reality, the more that held true. There was a point in time where the only school I had applied to was Barnard and all of the college counselors were like, ‘No, apply to other places.’”

What started out as a means to fulfill her work-study requirement developed into a passion for Barnard school spirit and clubs—which eventually led Marc to bring a new organization to campus, the Governing Board at Barnard.

The GBB, which started in the 2013-14 academic year, oversees and helps fund all Barnard student organizations, taking over the role from the Student Government Association. Marc said that being the first executive chair of the GBB was the most meaningful role she has had at Barnard.

“The fact that I played a role in creating this organization from scratch, that not only survived the year but continues to survive—that’s my pride and joy. To be a creator of something and then to leave it and see it stand on its own is something pretty incredible,” Marc said.

Starting and guiding the GBB through its first year, however, is just the newest role Marc has held. From sophomore through senior year, Marc was a member, then a chair-member, and then treasurer of the McIntosh Activities Council, which plans Barnard traditions and spirit events. She was also an orientation leader and crew chief for the New Student Orientation Program, and she served on the class of 2014 council her junior year.

And, during all four years, Marc continued working as an office assistant for the Student Life office.

“I have zero problem saying that I live and breathe Barnard 1,000 percent,” she said.

Marc said that she got involved with student groups because she wanted to foster a unique sense of school spirit at Barnard.

“One of the things I always wanted was really big school spirit, which this campus has, but not in the traditional way,” she said. “When I think of school spirit, I think of state schools like Rutgers, where my twin brother goes to school, where people line up for games well in advance, and they paint their chests or storm the court. And that’s just not something that happens here.”

Marc said that planning activities with McAC like Big Sub, Midnight Breakfast, Annie and Hallie’s Birthday—a celebration and screening of “The Parent Trap”—and her favorite, Spirit Week, built the kind of community she loves. 

“The more ingrained I’ve become in the culture here, the more ingrained it’s become in me,” she said.

Marc said that students should try to get involved in as many things as possible, so  that they can find something that they like.

“College gives you this fantastic opportunity of really learning about yourself,” Marc said. “One of the best ways to do that is in different roles. My leadership abilities have given me such great self-awareness, which is a really great transferable skill to the real world that a lot of people don’t think about.”

“It also makes college more fun,” she added. 

Taking her own advice, Marc said she “cast a wide net,” both in her involvement on campus and in her job search. After graduation, Marc will be working at Time Inc. as a department coordinator for the internal audit department—a job that, she said, reflects her diverse interests in college.

“It gives me a lot of exposure to lots of different things, so some of that is media and news and printing and that kind of stuff, some of it’s marketing, some of it’s finance stuff,” Marc said. “It’s everything you can think of that could potentially be part of a corporation.”

The job, she said, is just like being a heavily involved college student.

“I think every student should be as immersed in it as possible because when you graduate, things change greatly,” Marc said. “It’s such a treat that a lot of us take for granted.”

emma.goss@columbiaspectator.com  |  @EmmaAudreyGoss