News | Upper West Side

After altercation, Frederick Douglass tenants worried about increasing violence

• HOME TURF | Graffiti and a gang assault on April 11 have tenant leaders worried that gang violence is on the rise at the Frederick Douglass Houses.

Tenant leaders at the Frederick Douglass Houses say turf conflicts among gangs are on the rise, after an altercation involving a gunshot earlier this month.

DNAinfo reported on Friday that four teens were arrested for disorderly conduct and a fifth on an outstanding warrant on April 11 at 95th Street and Columbus Avenue. The article said that the warrant was from a previous conflict between a group from the Frederick Douglass Houses on West 100th Street and a group from the Wise Towers on West 91st Street.

Police confirmed Sunday that there was a gang assault at the location at 11:05 p.m. on April 11. No arrests were made, but it is possible that summonses were issued.

“A 19-year-old was struck in the face by a group of unknown males. They struck him with a scooter. An unknown perp fired one shot at the victim,” a police spokesperson said.

The incident came as tenant leaders in the Frederick Douglass Houses say tensions are rising among gangs in the area.

“There seems to be a little gang war,” Carmen Quinones, a tenant activist who lives at Frederick Douglass, said on Saturday. “There’s been a feud for a long while, and it’s starting to really come in these buildings. They’ve been coming from 94th to Douglass.”

Quinones said that there was graffiti in Frederick Douglass buildings on Thursday night, though police said that there were no reports of graffiti.

“My lobby two days ago was painted in black. They spray painted the whole lobby,” Quinones said about her building, 840 Columbus Ave. “In 825 they painted the lobby red, and then they put a black cloth over it. The glass to the lobby door was painted outside, you couldn’t see in or out.”

Neither Quinones nor Madelyn Innocent, a Community Board 7 member and resident at Frederick Douglass, said they knew details about the April 11 fight. Still, they expressed concerns about the larger trends of teen violence they have been seeing.

“What we have now are lost teens and young adults with no direction. Mayor de Blasio has to step up for the teens and young adults, or this summer will be a disaster. These kids are suffering, but no one seems to want to help,” Innocent said, advocating for increased after-school programs and ways to engage youths. 

On Easter Sunday, parents and children were gathered at the buildings’ playground areas between Amsterdam and Columbus avenues, with no indication of any unrest.

“I don’t know what happened. I heard about it,” Quinones said about the April 11 attack. “I’m quite sure there is going to be more sooner or later.”

eva.kalikoff@columbiaspectator.com  |  @EvaKalikoff

There needs to be much more police in the area.

+1
+1
-1

These projects are disgusting. They should be torn down.

+1
+1
-1

So when some scum can't stop shooting each other, it's my fault for not paying for bullshit programs for them? Sounds similar to victim blaming.

+1
-5
-1
jerald posted on

I can't believe Carmen Quiones comment about why the lobby of the building was spray painted cuz it is clear to the tenants of 840 Columbus that it was directed at Carmen Quiones who is one of the most DISLIKED people in Frederick Douglass. It had nothing to do with Gangs, Carmen knows the spray painting said "f... Tenant Patrol" and "f... NYPD." Now they have started to destroy the building cuz of their dislike for Carmen. No one in 840 wants Carmen on tenant patrol cuz no one in the building Trust her at all. This article is a perfect example why no one wants her to speak for the tenants

+1
-1
-1

Carmen Quionnes is the most toxic person in Douglass. As Jerald posted the spray painted in 840 Columbus was targeted at her. Not only did it say f--k tenant patrol, f--k NYPD it also said f--k Carmen Quionnes. As he said the most DISLIKED people in Douglass can you believe she is running for president of resident association GOD help Douglass.

+1
0
-1

Carmen Quionnes is the most toxic person in Douglass. As Jerald posted the spray painted in 840 Columbus was targeted at her. Not only did it say f--k tenant patrol, f--k NYPD it also said f--k Carmen Quionnes. As he said the most DISLIKED person in Douglass can you believe she is running for president of resident association GOD help Douglass.

+1
0
-1