News | Upper West Side

Full $11 mil. in damaged granted to former NYPD officer injured in 2006 accident

A 24th Precinct police officer who was seriously injured in a car accident while on duty in 2006 has been granted the entirety of the $11,263,944 he was initially awarded by the New York Supreme Court for damages from the city, according to court records.

Officer Joseph Sosa was in the passenger seat of a patrol car on the evening of July 10, 2006, when his partner, Officer Fernando Loza, sped through a red light on Central Park West at 97th Street. The car was then hit by a van driven by Mohammad Almas, causing the police car to spin out and hit two other cars.

“The jury’s award on damages is in accord with the unrefuted medical and economic evidence presented by Plaintiff’s experts. The Economic loss evidence was unrefuted by the City Defendants who did not present testimony from an economist,” the motion released Monday stated. The motion rejected the City’s appeal of the verdict. 

Sosa was awarded $1,000,000 for “Past Pain and Suffering,” $410,744 for “Past Economic Loss,” $4,000,000 for 48 years of “Future Pain and Suffering,” $1,400,000 for 28 years’ worth of future medical expenses, and $4,453,200 for 28 years’ worth of future economic loss. 

Last year, Almas was relieved of any responsibility in the case, transferring all blame to Loza and the city. Sosa testified that Loza was driving around 45 miles per hour, though an expert later said that he was likely driving between 50 and 60 miles per hour.

eva.kalikoff@columbiaspectator.com  |  @EvaKalikoff