Yue Ben / Senior Staff Photographer

Sejal Singh, CC '15, and Peter Bailinson, CC '16, were elected CCSC executive board vp for policy and president, respectively.

Updated online, 4/10, 6:34 p.m.

Election results for the Columbia College Student Council, Engineering Student Council, General Studies Student Council, and various University Senate races were announced Friday night.

CCSC executive board

Peter Bailinson, CC '16, was elected president and Sejal Singh, CC '15, was elected vice president of policy with 57 percent of the vote. Bailinson and Singh, both of the TAP party, defeated the Insight party candidates for president and VP for policy Loxley Bennett, CC '15 and Mandeep Singh, CC '15.

“I'm excited to be tackling the kinds of really big issues that tangibly affect students,” Singh said.  “I'm excited to continue my work with sexual assault and I'm excited to work on protecting student speech. I'm really looking forward to getting started.”

Filling out the executive board, Michael Li, CC '15, won the election for VP for finance, Abby Porter, CC '17, won the election for VP for communications, and Andrew Ren, CC '15, won the election for VP for campus life. Li was the only candidate from the Insight party who won a position, while Porter and Ren were from TAP.

“We do look forward to embracing that and making students involved here,” Ren said.  “We really want to make sure we are in conversation with students about what goes on at this school.” 

Ren also wants to focus on maximizing the space on campus and setting up a student mentorship program, demand for which could be determined during the New Student Orientation Program.

“CCSC has had a lot of successes this semester and it can be hard to reform the culture of an institution,” Bailinson said.  “But there can definitely be some changes made to CCSC to make it even more effective at representing the student body. I think that'll be our biggest challenge.”

Li also wants to work with the other members to integrate the ideals of the two parties. 

“We need to align ourselves ... and make sure that when we do work in the summer, we come back with a unified vision for the fall,” he said.

Turnout for this year's CCSC elections was 47 percent.

Thanks to a referendum passed by CCSC earlier this year, voters could individually elect each vice presidential position, with the exception of the president and vice president for policy. In previous years, ballots could only be cast for a single executive board party.

“I think that I'm most excited about being able to carry through the ideas we proposed through in our platform,” he said. 

Li said he plans on working with other members of the executive board over the summer to organize their goals for the year. 

ESC executive board

Each member of the uncontested Out of the Blue party was elected with more than 80 percent of the vote. 

Brian Wu, SEAS '15, will be the new ESC executive board president. Wu will be joined by VP of Policy Malini Nambiar, SEAS '15, VP of Finance Robert Ying, SEAS '16, VP of Communications Joshua Boggs, SEAS '15, and VP of Student Life Caroline Park, SEAS '16.

Because the group was running uncontested, members said that they have already started to work on some of next year's initiatives, like creating an interface for alumni and students to connect, and expanding workspace for students.

Ying and Wu said they were excited about upcoming spaces that will soon be available to engineering students like the makerspace, where students can work on various physical projects. They also said they were concerned about school spirit at the School of Engineering and Applied Science, especially given the low voter turnout this year. 

“I think it's important that people participate in the whole student government process,” Ying said. 

Turnout for the ESC executive board and at-large representative elections was 21 percent.

GSSC executive board

Peter Nason, GS '15, won the GSSC presidential election, beating Joshua Dominic, GS '16, with 63 percent of the vote.

Nason said he wants to continue the work of the current council, as well as focus on better integrating GS students with the larger University and improving the funding system for student groups. 

“I'm excited for the opportunity of having a whole new council come together and continue the progress that this council has made,” he said. “The way the original groups were funded is somewhat archaic and some of them, based on the changes in membership, are severely underfunded now.”

Nason will join Elizabeth Heyman, GS/JTS '16, who was elected VP of policy. Heyman defeated Richard Thompson, GS '17, with 69 percent of the vote.

“My goals are to continue furthering the progress and contributing to the resolutions policies that have been crafted this year,” Heyman said. “Making sure that the Night Owl initiative continues, making sure the CUFSN resolution continues and that they get what they need, working directly with other councils to further the sexual assault discussion.”

All other GSSC executive board positions did not have candidates, and it will be up to the council to decide how to fill the seats.

University Senate

In the most contested University Senate race this year, Ramis Wadood, CC '16, won the Columbia College seat with 49 percent of the vote. Daniel Liss, CC '16, came in second with 14 percent of the vote. Daniel Stone, CC '16, Michael MacKay, CC '15, and Jacob Johnson, CC '17, received 14, 11, and 9 percent of the vote respectively. A write-in option also received 3 percent of the vote.

“I'm most excited to work on reforming our mental health service,” Wadood said. “I really want to continue working on it on a university level next year.” 

Jillian Ross, SEAS '16, won the SEAS seat, defeating Michelle Haines, SEAS '15, with 58 percent of the vote.

“I'm so happy—I'm really honored to be elected by my peers,” Ross said. “My biggest priority right now is transitioning with the previous senator—making sure we have a smooth transition—so that I can hit the ground running and get to work on the initiatives I'm interested in, like sexual assault policy.”

Katharine Celentano, GS '17, won the GS senate seat on April 10. During the original election, she garnered the most votes for the GS senate seat, but due to scheduling issues which caused over 500 postbaccalaureate students to be unable to vote in the senate election, a second polling period will be held between April 8 and 10, and the results will be combined with the votes from last week. Three hundred and fifty nine students voted in the GS senate seat elections last week. 

Calvin Ching, GS '16, came in second with 18  percent of the vote, while Umar Mohammed, GS '15, and Jin Han, GS '16, received 11 and 7 percent of the vote, respectively.

CCSC

Kareem Carryl, CC '15, and Jackson Tse, CC '15 of the Seniorit15 party won the 2015 class council presidential and vice presidential elections with 54 percent of the vote. They will be joined by representatives Lillian Chen, CC '15, Michael Fox-Moles, CC '15, and Ryan Rivera, CC '15, all of the Seniorit15 party.

Carryl said his party wants to make senior events as enjoyable and as accessible to the class as possible. 

“There are so many costs that I don't want CCSC events to be a burden,” Carryl said. “I want them to be widely accessible.”

Saaket Pradhan, CC '16, and Anne Scotti, CC '16, of the Alma Matters party won the 2016 class council presidential and vice presidential elections with 55 percent of the vote. They will be joined by representatives Sameer Mishra, CC '16, Richin Kabra, CC '16, and Gabrielle Andrade, CC '16, all of the Alma Matters party.

“For the rest of the year, my goal and Anne's goal is to speak with the class of 2016,” Pradhan said. 

“I'm most excited for changing up the way we do events,” Scotti said. 

In the most contested class council race this year, Sean Ryan, CC '17, and Adanma Raymond, CC '17, won the 2017 class council president and vice president positions. They will be joined by representatives Jeff Coby, CC '17, of the Columbia Classy party, Justin Bleuel, CC '17, of the Refresh party, and Marshall Bozeman, CC '17, also of the Refresh party.

“I'm personally excited to be in a position where I can serve my classmates in a constructive way,” Ryan said. “We outlined that our goal was to make Columbia students happier, healthier, and safer.”

Grayson Warrick, CC '16, won the CCSC academic affairs representative election, defeating Thomas Arbuckle II, CC '17, with 66 percent of the vote.

Warrick hopes to use his position to advocate for policy changes like the extended drop deadline, which Nora Haboosh, CC '15, is working on as the academic affairs representative. 

“Columbia administration is very resistant to change,” he said. “It's being able to tackle that, and work with them to see how we can best get to fixing Columbia's issues.”

Charles Sanky, CC '16, and Chris Godshall, CC '15, won the student services representatives election with 37 and 35 percent of the vote, respectively. Mikhael Klimentov, CC '16 came in third with 25 percent of the vote.

Godshall said he hopes to continue his work on finding oversight for Public Safety funding.

Matthew Forrest, CC '17, won the alumni affairs representative position, and Chris George, CC '17, won the pre-professional representative position. Both elections were uncontested.

ESC

Harry Munroe, SEAS '17, won the ESC academic affairs representative election with 44 percent of the vote.

Robert Adelson, SEAS '17, won the class of 2017 council president position, defeating Rachit Mohan, SEAS '17, and Neha Jain, SEAS '17, defeated Lara Warner, SEAS '17, for the 2017 class council VP position  with 51 and 58 percent of the vote, respectively.

All other positions in ESC were uncontested.

The 2015 class council will consist of President Shensi Ding, Vice President Gil Feig, and representatives Adam Sherman and Andrew Ryder, all SEAS '15.

The 2016 class council will consist of President Michelle Lee, Vice President Chloé Blanchard, and representatives Joshua Bazile and Ravish Rawal, all SEAS '16.

Bo Fan, SEAS '17, will be the director of technology. Siddharth Ramakrishnan, SEAS '16, will be the sustainability liaison. Larry Xiao, SEAS '17, will be the pre-professional development and alumni affairs representative. Sarah Yang, SEAS '17, will be the student services representative.

Radhe Patel, SEAS '15, will be the CCSC liaison, Andrew Sohn, SEAS '17, will be the GSSC liaison, and Howei Chen, SEAS '17, will be the SGA liaison.

GSSC

All remaining elections on GSSC were uncontested or unfilled.

Christina Cheung, GS '16, will be the international students representative, Corey Hirsch, GS/JTS '17 will be the JTS students representative, and Neranjan de Silva, GS '16, will be the veteran students representative.

Ballot Initiatives 

The Columbia College Lion Credit Union Initiative Ballot Initiative and the Columbia College Sandwich Ambassador Initiative both passed with significant student support. 

The Columbia College Lion Credit Union Initiative Ballot Initiative states, “Columbia University supports the Lion Credit Union Initiative, an initiative dedicated to establishing a credit union for the Columbia University community,” and was approved by 86 percent of voters. 

The Columbia College Sandwich Ambassador Initiative has many points centered around food prices and suggests a sandwich ambassador that works on “ending the $10 sandwich.” 

Eighty-eight percent of students supported the initiative.

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that Katharine Celentano, GS '17, was elected as GS University Senator. In the document sent to Spectator from the Columbia Elections Board, Celentano's name was bolded as a winner and shown to have 64 percent of votes. However, because of scheduling issues with elections, post-baccalaureate students will be voting on University Senate candidates during PMA elections from April 8- April 10, meaning that these results will be combined with the ones released Friday night, and so Celentano was not yet officially elected. An earlier version of this story also misstated the voter turnout for CCSC. Spectator regrets the errors.

Emma Bogler contributed reporting.

elizabeth.sedran@columbiaspectator.com  |  @ezactron

campus elections CCSC ESC GSSC