Courtesy of Olivia Aylmer

Annie Diamond, BC ’15, is hospitalized with brain swelling and other injuries after falling from a roof on Friday, while studying abroad at Mansfield College in Oxford, England.

Annie Diamond, BC '15, is unconscious and heavily sedated at John Radcliffe Hospital after falling from a roof Friday, while studying abroad at Mansfield College in Oxford, England.

According to a Saturday post by her mother, Batya Diamond, on her daughter's Caring Bridge page, Diamond was with a friend on the roof of a building to look at the stars when she stepped and fell through sheets of corrugated plastic.

Diamond's injuries include brain swelling, spinal fractures, and internal bleeding in her liver and kidneys, her mother wrote.

Her mother said in a second post on Sunday evening that Diamond—who was moved from the general trauma unit to the Neurology ICU—is being treated with medicine to keep her brain swelling down and that she does not require surgery at the moment.

“They are of course keeping close watch on the pressure numbers while giving her body the chance to heal itself, and will take her out of heavy sedation when the swelling stabilizes,” Batya Diamond wrote.

Diamond's family has traveled to Oxford and will be accommodated at Mansfield College principal Helena Kennedy's home. Mansfield College chaplain Tanya Rasmussen also visited Diamond at the hospital.

Friends and family are posting well-wishes on Diamond's Caring Bridge and Facebook page.

Olivia Aylmer, BC '15, is one of Diamond's close friends and is also studying at Oxford's Mansfield College this semester.

Aylmer, who has visited Diamond at the hospital, said in a Facebook message to Spectator that the outpouring of support “just goes to show what a bright light Annie is in so many lives.”

“In this difficult moment, I am constantly reminding myself that her immense passion and joy for life remain strong, if not stronger,” Aylmer said. “I remain hopeful that her beautiful spirit, which I have been lucky enough to know since we started this program together in October, will sustain her.”

“The afternoon before the incident, Annie kept telling me what a beautiful day it was and how excited she was for the week ahead; that's the memory to which I am holding most closely right now,” Aylmer said. “To all of the sweet friends sending Annie positive thoughts - I know she is receiving them.”

Those interested in writing a post to Annie Diamond and her family can visit Diamond's Caring Bridge page.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

Barnard College
nextstory