News | Academics

New Journalism School publication to focus on underreported global issues

• NEW JOB | Former Journalism School Dean Nicholas Lemann will edit Columbia Global Reports, a new Journalism School publication that will focus on underreported global issues.

A new Journalism School publication aims to shed light on unknown or underreported issues around the world, featuring articles from prominent journalists and academics.

Columbia Global Reports, to be published four to six times a year in print and online, will be edited by journalism professor and former dean Nicholas Lemann, the University announced Tuesday.

Each issue will feature one 25,000-word article reporting on and analyzing timely topics and will be written in collaboration with the University’s Global Centers. There are also plans to create events and conferences centered around the issues covered in the journal.

“Columbia is an ideal place from which to explore partnerships between ambitious journalism and a great research university—an especially important mission right now, because of the financial stresses on news organizations,” Lemann, who was dean of the Journalism School from 2003 to 2013, said in a statement.

Being tied to the University means Columbia Global Reports need not worry about the financial concerns other media organizations may have.

“It is a sad fact of contemporary life that the traditional institutions of the free press, so necessary for the functioning of our society, have continued to face serious challenges to the commercial business model, sharply diminishing their capacity to report on the world,” University President Lee Bollinger said in a statement. “There are many new non-profit journalism organizations that have embraced this civic responsibility. Columbia’s traditions of thought leadership and civic engagement make us an ideal launching pad for such an effort, and Nick Lemann is the ideal person to help us make an important new contribution to the global public square.”

Before becoming dean of the Journalism School in 2003, Lemann was the Washington correspondent for the New Yorker and had worked for a number of other publications. He was succeeded by Steve Coll as dean in 2013.

yasemin.akcaguner@columbiaspectator.com  |  @y_akcaguner