Inaugural Hindu Awareness Week starts Monday

• Yue Ben / Senior Staff Photographer
    New Beginnings | (From left) HSO coordinators Nita Ponnaganti, CC ’14, Shambavi Sadayappan, SEAS ’14, and Mihir Awati, CC ’15, want Hindu Awareness Week to promote discussion about Hindu religion and culture.

The inaugural Hindu Awareness Week, organized by the Hindu Students Organization to share information about the tenets of Hinduism on campus, starts Monday.

“For the past 20 years, HSO has been able to provide a forum for Hindus to practice their faith,” Shambavi Sadayappan, SEAS ’14 and co-coordinator of Hindu Awareness Week, said. “So we thought it would be a really good and new initiative for us to provide a more intimate setting for people to either explore their faith or to explore new faith.”

The week will include yoga and meditation sessions, a discussion circle on Hinduism, a movie screening, a lecture by a Hindu Pandit, and a trip to a temple in Queens.

“The goal of this week is not just to be a space for Hindu students to explore their faith—the idea is to have dialogue with other people,” Nita Ponnaganti, CC ’14 and another co-coordinator, said.

Mihir Awati, CC ’15 and HSO’s public relations director, said that the week is intended as much for non-Hindus as for Hindus, and that the ultimate goal is spreading the word and discussing about what Hinduism is.

“We want students to know that there are no barriers to coming and having an interesting discussion with us this week,” he said.

Gadadhara Pandit Dasa, the Hindu chaplain at Columbia, will lecture about how to incorporate Hindu tenets into everyday life on Thursday.

“We thought it would be a good way to give people a chance to interact with him and know that he’s there,” Ponnaganti said. “Everything that we do is related to awareness, and this week we think that it’s a good idea to have a closer-knit setting in which people can actually have discussion and dialogue.”

At the end of the week, HSO will lead a trip to Ganesh Temple, a large Hindu temple in Flushing.

“We thought it would be a great opportunity for students, who are either Hindu or not Hindu, to go to a place where Hindus actually worship,” Ponnaganti said. “Those who actually want to go and pray can do so, and those who are just there to look at it can see what other Hindus do ... that’ll be an opportunity for them to do so.”

Upper West Side restaurant Shahi Biryani & Grill will provide food for the events throughout the week. 

Awati said that the biggest challenge for the week was probably having Engineering Week—which kicked off with a commemorative lighting display illuminating Low Library Saturday night—fall on the same days.

Ponnaganti also said she had concerns about how well the week will turn out, even with HSO’s experience with large events in the past.

“We don’t know how people will be receptive to it ... it’s very new, so obviously this year there is going to be filled with a bit of uncertainty,” Ponnaganti said. It makes it exciting in some ways.”

rana.hilal@columbiaspectator.com  |  @ra_hilal

HSO is the best. Good job to Nita, Shambavi, Mihir, and the rest of the board!

+1
0
-1

It's highly pertinent especially in a country like US which purports itself like a global minister and there is absolute ignorance about the most ancient grand philosophy that is the only solution for world peace in her oft quoted dictum: Vasudew Kutumbakam. At the same time, Hinduism is the only religion thus far which doesn't advocate proselytisation and quite rightly so. The entire root of the problem lies in this business of "my faith superior" misunderstanding or a deliberate propaganda to sell it to others, and even indulge in violent deadly philosophy of jihad or crusades. This must stop for the sake of global peace.

+1
-2
-1

Deliberate intended predatory proselytisation is inhuman and evil. It has led to more human life loss and caused misery than anything else. Hence treachery of religion must stop. Learning from other major religion mustn't be construed as a sign of inferiority and insult to our pride but a helpful guide for our moral upliftment.

+1
-3
-1

The HSO is doing what my school should be doing. I as a hindu am very touched by what you are doing. Someone has to get the word out there about our faith. This is a step in the right direction.

+1
0
-1

FROM:
MOHAN A. HOSKOTE,
PATRONG, BAINA.
VASCO-DA-GAMA,
GOA - 403802,
INDIA.

NEW RESEARCH FINDINGS CONCERNING JEWS, CHRISTIANS &

MUSLIMS VIS A VIS HINDUS

TO,

RANA HILAL,

SENIOR STAFF WRITER,

COLUMBIA DAILY SPECTATOR

Most Respected Mr. Rana Hilal,

I, Mohan A. Hoskote, age 79 years, have after more than 20 years of research making a HINDU appraisal of the Holy Bible, discovered more than TWO DOZEN, NEW, EPOCH-MAKING, HISTORICAL FACTS and written a book.

Never before has such a research been carried out by any other author or researcher.

By the way, my book contains a description of "WHAT IS HINDUISM?" which the entire Student Community will find interesting.

My book is packed to the brim with new facts.

The new facts discovered by me concern all the three so-called Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity & Islam.

I have published my book on the AMAZON KINDLE under the Title "I AM THE WAY TO INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING".

I have given a portrait of "Jesus on the Cross" on the Cover page because Jesus happens to be the "Most Critical Connecting Link" in my research.

A powerful Factual Documentary or a TV Serial can be produced concerning Jews & ISRAEL based on my research.

My Story will begin with the destruction of the First Temple of Jerusalem and end with Jesus' Crucifixion.

This period of time concerns purely Jews & Israel and I have nearly a DOZEN NEW FACTS covering this much period of Jewish history.

I earnestly request you to obtain a Copy of my book from Amazon Kindle, study & then, publish a report on the same in the Spectator with a copy to me for my record.

Please reply early.

With highest regards,

MOHAN A. HOSKOTE

+1
0
-1