News | West Harlem

Fire consumes supermarket, laundromat at Amsterdam and 131st

• David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    AFLAME | Debris in front of the Associated Supermarket at 131st Street and Amsterdam Avenue, which was consumed by a fire Sunday night.
    AFLAME | Firefighters at the scene, as smoke billows from the wreckage of the supermarket.
    AFLAME | A view of the fire from the Manhattanville Houses, to the west.

A fire consumed the Associated Supermarket and a laundromat at 131st Street and Amsterdam Avenue on Sunday night, turning Amsterdam into a crisis zone and filling the air with smoke for blocks.

No casualties or injuries were reported in the massive three-alarm fire, which started around 7:30 p.m. 

A Fire Department of New York spokesperson said that about 140 firefighters were dispatched to the scene, and Amsterdam was closed to traffic from 125th Street to 135th Street. Dozens of police and fire vehicles dotted the area.

The one-story building, which is on the grounds of the Manhattanville housing project, had partially collapsed within two hours of the fire starting, with the large Associated Supermarket sign lying in a pile of debris on the sidewalk in front of the store. As late as 10 p.m., firefighters were shooting water into the fire from four cannons as smoke billowed out. 

In February, the city Department of Buildings found structural instabilities in the building and ordered it vacated. A follow-up report from May stated that the problems had been fixed.

Locals watched the scene from behind police tape.

“I go here every day. My mother tells me to go to the supermarket all the time when we need food,” said Cyann Georgie, 20, who lives in the area. “How are people going to eat?”

Ben Gittelson contributed reporting.

casey.tolan@columbiaspectator.com  |  @caseytolan

go to c town... wth

+1
-4
-1

go to C town

+1
-2
-1

"How are people going to eat?" Let's see, there is a C-Town at 134th and Bway, Fairway at 12th avenue, Key Food on 125th…..

+1
-3
-1
Luz Rodiguez posted on

Just wondering if any words as to what started this horrible fire.thyf9

+1
-2
-1

There is a Ctown on 125th...

+1
-4
-1

Um we have 2 Ctowns in the area What is she talking about “How are people going to eat?”

+1
-5
-1