Medical center to construct new Nursing School building

Columbia announced plans to construct a new facility to house the Nursing School at 168th Street and Audubon Avenue on Thursday.

The new building for the nursing school will provide 65 percent more space for the school than its current uptown facility.

“This new state-of-the-art facility for the school is another in a series of important steps forward not only for Columbia University Medical Center’s home campus in Washington Heights, but for the University as a whole as well as for our neighbors in northern Manhattan,” University President Lee Bollinger said in a statement.

Earlier this month, CUMC broke ground on its Medical and Graduate Education Building, to be located on Haven Avenue between 171st and 172nd streets in Washington Heights.

Construction is slated to begin in late 2014, and CO Architects and FXFOWLE are designing the seven-story, 68,000-square-foot building to meet LEED Silver standards.

Designs for the building aim to synthesize technology and social space, and include a simulation center that will allow students to practice clinical techniques. The simulation center will comprise a critical care unit, exam room, in-patient room, and operating room.

The building will also offer space for events and research, a sunlit atrium, a rooftop terrace, and forums for visiting scholars.

jeremy.budd@columbiaspectator.com  |  @buddjeremy