Madigan appointed Arts and Sciences EVP

• IT'S OFFICIAL | Statistics chair David Madigan, interim executive vice president and dean of Arts and Sciences, was announced the permanent EVP and dean of Arts and Sciences Tuesday.

Updated in print and online, 9/4

University President Lee Bollinger appointed David Madigan executive vice president and dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences on Tuesday­­.

Madigan, who has served as the interim dean of Arts and Sciences since last March, replaces Nicholas Dirks, who left Columbia last November to become chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley.

Bollinger selected Madigan, formerly the dean of physical and mathematical sciences at Rutgers University, out of a pool of three candidates presented to him by a search committee chaired by international affairs professor Robert Jervis.

“Madigan was a very attractive candidate for a number of reasons,” Jervis said in an interview. “He both knew Columbia pretty well and he had some sense of how another institution handled similar problems. We thought that combination was very useful.”

The EVP is in charge of overseeing budgetary decisions, academic recruitments, and tenure for the five schools in the Arts and Sciences division: Columbia College, the School of General Studies, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of the Arts, and the School of Continuing Education.

“There’s an enormous amount of administrative decisions that cross your desk about every day, or every hour,” Jervis said. “Unless you can master that—even if you’re good at everything else—you’re just going to drown. We thought he was good on that as well.”

“Having seen his effectiveness in recent months working on an interim basis, I am confident he will succeed on each front,” Bollinger said in a statement on Tuesday.

Madigan said in an email that he was “excited and humbled to take on this role.”

“Over the last several months as interim EVP I have experienced first hand the extraordinary quality and brilliance of the faculty and students here at Columbia and the attendant responsibility we have to do good in the world,” he said.

samantha.cooney@columbiaspectator.com  |  @sammcooney

Oh! So, we can look forward to seeing Columbia coaches assault athletes then, and for the camera too! Or, perhaps we could hire that coach who was fired by Rutgers. Yeah I knew Bollinger would get this right. The athletes deserve it, because they assault other people around campus. Well done, PrezBo!

+1
-14
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Madigan was dean of physical and mathematical sciences when he was at Rutgers. His job had nothing to do with the sports programs. And he moved to Columbia in 2007, which was before Rutgers hired the coach and athletic director involved in the scandal.

+1
+6
-1

+1
-1
-1