Football player charged with hate crime, students shocked by offensive tweets, admins respond

• HATE CRIME | A Columbia football player has been charged with a hate crime.

Updated, Thursday, 3:05 p.m. For the latest updates (including administrator and student responses and petitions), see Spectrum.

Police charged a Columbia football player with aggravated harassment on Tuesday after he allegedly assaulted and threatened another student with racial slurs.

According to NBC New York, the victim was a 19-year-old Asian student, who reported that as he was leaving a dormitory on W. 113th Street with two female friends, the suspect, Chad Washington, CC ’15, heckled the women.

After the victim tried to defend his friends, Washington followed him and called him racial slurs. He then shoved him against a wall, NBC reported.

Washington lives in McBain Hall, according to the Columbia directory. In an op-ed for Spectator this semester, he argued that student-athletes deserve more respect than they are given on campus.

Washington was arrested Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. and his next court appearance is scheduled for July 8. He appeared in prearraignment court on Wednesday and was released without bail.  

A Columbia spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday that administrators could not comment on the incident or the arrest. 

Daniel Fetterman, Washington's attorney, said in a statement that Washington "was involved in an incident with another student early Sunday morning" and called him "a highly regarded student and athlete."

"The allegations do not accurately portray the events that occurred," he said. "When all the facts come out, it will be clear that Mr. Washington did not commit a hate crime, and he will be vindicated."

Fetterman also said that Washington is not being charged with a felony, as NBC reported, but with a misdemeanor.

After news of the incident spread on campus on Wednesday, WKCR compiled a set of 46 tweets made by Washington and several of his teammates that contained racist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive content. Hundreds of commenters on Spectator and Bwog condemned the langauge used in the tweets.

Although the tweets themselves were unrelated to Washington’s arrest, they raised questions about whether the culture of the football team made it acceptable for the players to tweet what they did and whether Athletics administrators and coaches were aware of the tweets. WKCR noted it had found the accounts in part because the official Columbia Lions Twitter account followed those players.

Washington himself manned the @ColumbiaLionsFB account last Wednesday for the team’s first-ever “#WingmanWednesday.” He tweeted shout-outs to his teammates using their Twitter handles, including some of those whose offensive tweets made WKCR’s list.

In a joint statement released on ThursdayAthletic Director Dianne Murphy and football head coach Pete Mangurian said that they would address the individuals responsible for the offensive tweets and speak with each of the 31 varsity teams.

"This is disheartening and embarrassing for everyone involved," the statement read. "We are working closely with our campus partners to make sure that we are diligent and proactive in our response to this matter."

Murphy and Mangurian stressed that the tweets did not reflect the athletic community as a whole and added that "personal expressions of racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and any other form of bigotry are abhorrent."

A group of student leaders met with Associate Dean of Multicultural Affairs Melinda Aquino on Wednesday to discuss how the University should respond. 

Student Wellness Project founder Wilfred Chan, CC '13, said on Facebook that, while administrators were drafting a statement, Aquino "acknowledged that it is a difficult statement to craft because of the ongoing nature of the investigation." Chan was joined by Student Governing Board chair Abdul Hanif, CC ’14, former SGB chair David Fine, CC ’13, and outgoing Engineering Student Council president Tim Qin, SEAS ’13, in the meeting. 

"We urged her to make sure the statement includes—at the very least—a condemnation of racism, sexism, and associated acts of violence," Chan said. "We also urged her to make sure the statement does not gloss over the concerns of affected student communities, particularly the Asian and Asian Pacific American student community."

Aquino told the students that the victim declined to issue a community-wide email notification of the incident and that administrators honored the request.

On Thursday, administrators sent a statement to students in response to the alleged hate crime and the offensive tweets. The statement was co-signed by Columbia College Dean James Valentini, School of Engineering and Applied Science Interim Dean Donald Goldfarb, School of General Studies Dean Peter Awn, and Murphy. 

"For all members of Columbia University, harassment, mistreatment and hateful language based on race, gender, sexual orientation, affiliation or other identities are unacceptable and hurt every one of us," the statement read. "We all are committed to a campus environment which values and supports each individual in an atmosphere that is caring and respectful."

The statement also said that administrators are "aggressively" addressing the offensive tweets with the individuals involved. 

"With respect to social media messages reportedly posted by some students, we share fully in the belief that offensive messages in any form are unacceptable and fall far beneath the standards of civility and mutual respect we expect of all our students, including student athletes who represent Columbia," the statement read. "We are addressing this matter aggressively with the individuals involved. We also believe that broad generalizations about any group are unfair and hurtful, and we unfortunately have seen that social media has too often become a forum for such offensive comments."

Check back for updates.

jeremy.budd@columbiaspectator.com  |  @buddjeremy

So much for deserving more respect. If the accusations are true, this man is an embarrassment for all athletes on campus.

+1
+125
-1
oy posted on

He's an embarrassment for affirmative action.

+1
-8
-1

No, he's just an embarrassment, period. What the hell?

+1
+82
-1

I don't get all the negative votes for the above comment. He got into Columbia because of affirmative action (non-white, non-Asian, from Oakland, football player). Reverse racism ("diversity") got him into Columbia, and he commits a racist hate crime against a fellow Columbia student. That just doesn't make sense and is frustratingly hypocritical.

+1
+28
-1
CU_Alum posted on

For all you know, he also had straight As in high school, perfect SAT scores, etc. You're making assumptions based on his race and background while simultaneously complaining that other people do the same thing. "That just doesn't make sense and is frustratingly hypocritical."

+1
+25
-1

"For all you know, he also had straight As in high school, perfect SAT scores"

He didn't. If you want to really get into it, feel free to post his high school grades and SAT scores. Regardless, nothing justifies his hate crime.

+1
+19
-1
CU_Alum posted on

I don't have those stats. Do you? If you do, how do they compare with the stats of white football players from low-income families?

+1
-26
-1
"I don't have those stats." posted on

Then stop making presumptions.

+1
+10
-1
CU_Alum posted on

The person who insisted Mr. Washington got in due to affirmative action is the one making presumptions. I am not. I merely pointed out that he was. That's what "For all you know, ..." means.

+1
-21
-1

Uh, dude, I've talked to the guy and he acknowledges that his "diversity" (background, football) helped him get in. He wasn't a jerk about it, but realistic and appreciative. You can back off on pointing the presumption finger now.

+1
+24
-1

FYI: He mentions his grades and scores in an op-ed he published earlier this year in the Spectator. It can be taken as fact that his scores were below median, not that it matters.

+1
0
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Take another look at the op-ed. (http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2013/03/12/athletes-deserve-respect) It says nothing about Washington's high school records or the admission process. It doesn't mention SATs or other tests, and all it says about grades is that he has a 3.03 GPA *at Columbia*.

+1
+21
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Correcting myself: Washington's op-ed says "being a football player" helped him get in. That's a far cry from saying he benefited from affirmative action. Being a football player (or playing another sport) helps applicants regardless of their race.

+1
-4
-1
2014 posted on

Getting in with help from football is still affirmative action, dumbass.

+1
-9
-1
CU_Alum posted on

No it isn't. Affirmative action is supposed to help overcome a history of discrimination by giving favorable treatment to members of groups that were the victims of that discrimination. Football players are not such a group.

+1
+5
-1

you're clearly not a Columbia student.

+1
-11
-1

playing a sport well is not affirmative action. schools frequently recruit students who don't have the typical gpa/sat because they excel at other things, which is valued.

+1
-3
-1
Ray posted on

I'm from another school, just a couple of spots behind Columbia in the USNews rankings. I'm pissed off because from these comments I can tell we're much smarter.

+1
-38
-1
Zakagan posted on

Please do not post other student's personal information. As much as I disapprove of the actions of Mr. Washington, he doesn't diserve a witch hunt. Let the university and the law decide what his punishment should or shouldn't be.

+1
-2
-1

Chad's own words in his op-ed piece: "Being a football player ... also aided my acceptance into one of the top five colleges in the world, and I am so thankful for that."

+1
+40
-1

"Being a football player ... also aided my acceptance into one of the top five colleges in the world ... "
Maybe this was a typo on Chad's part, but was his intention to refer to Columbia as one of the top five colleges in the COUNTRY? Columbia consistently ranks around 5 in ratings for colleges in the U.S., but on the world stage, it usually commands a still respectable spot in the low teens. I'm being a little facetious here, but if Chad doesn't know the difference between the U.S. and the WORLD, then he just pulled a Caitlin Upton and discredited his whole op-ed piece. And I won't even go into what this might suggest about his admission to the school.

+1
+27
-1

If he had straight As and a perfect SAT, I'm sure an athletic scholarship wasn't on the table for him to go to Columbia. Just like his victim!

+1
-14
-1
CU_Alum posted on

Columbia doesn't award athletic scholarships. It doesn't award academic scholarships, either. All of its financial aid is need-based. If Mr. Washington is on financial aid it has nothing to do either with his grades or with being a football player. He would have received the same amount if he'd never joined the team, just as he would if he joined and then left.

+1
-8
-1

Because racism exists everywhere, including between minorities, and one shouldn't be held to higher standards just because discrimination against them exists as well? If anything, this is just a reminder of how intricate social relations can be and how a variety of factors could have entered this terrible dude's decision to push another guy against the wall and call him racial slurs—as others have already implied, it also had a lot to do with the arrogant machismo of football culture, the privilege of being (likely) taller and stronger, engrained sexism that incited him to harass the victim's female friends in the first place, etc. The entire incident is breathtakingly problematic and affirmative action really has the least to do with it.

+1
-38
-1

Racism and race relations aren't going to improve if racists keep at it.

+1
+49
-1

"Because racism exists everywhere .. this is just a reminder of how intricate social relations can be ... "

Uh, so your defense of racism is, "It happens a lot and it's complicated". Okay.

+1
+40
-1
pardon me posted on

That wasn't supposed to be a defense of relations. I'm just not seeing some specious relationship between Washington getting in through affirmative action and his behavior last week.

+1
-54
-1

It's simple but not popular to say. It's ironic that he was admitted to the school with the help of reverse racism, and he is now charged with a race-based hate crime against a fellow student. As noted below, it's also ironic that after writing about discrimination against athletes, he allegedly discriminated against a fellow student.

+1
+31
-1

Just an observation that hasn't been mentioned: The alleged perpetrator is a member of a minority group who **might** have benefitted from a lowered admission standard, while the alleged victim is a member of a minority group who was **possibly** held to a more stringent admission standard.

+1
+42
-1

Assuming you're a Columbia student (which judging by the unintelligence of your post, you're probably not a student here), the implications of your comment that Chad was accepted here primarily due to affirmative action, would mean that all black (or even non-white students) were accepted to Columbia because of affirmative action. This kind of logic implies that blacks have performed academically inferior to whites, that they all must have lower high school gpa's, lower SAT scores, no extracurriculars or any awards or honors or achievements. For the theory to be true that all blacks get into Ivy League universities would mean that it is theoretically impossible for any black person to have achieved more than any white Columbia student. But any smart person, which you're clearly not, knows that it is empirically true that there are black students here who have accomplished more than their white peers. Further your logic implies that white students got accepted here merely because of privilege. Allow me to explain. Any intelligent person knows that there are no biological differences in intelligence between races. So any inferiority of race must be due to the enactment of social difference, meaning if your theory is correct, that blacks get into great colleges because they underperform academically and get in through affirmative action, well that means that whites only got in through privilege. Nothing about "whiteness" biologically gives whites more intelligence than other races. If it is true that whites are smarter and more accomplished than blacks, it has happened only because whites have historically excluded blacks from opportunities of education, wealth, and societal parity with whites: the very notion your conclusion leads to. Whites have taken all these things: education, wealth, the better things in life, essentially, and have saved it for themselves and only for their use, to privilege and provide advantages for themselves, at the expense (slavery) and exclusion (inequality) of others, namely blacks. So whenever you point the accusatory finger of affirmative action at a black person, you're inevitably pointing three fingers back at yourself that point to how you're nothing but privilege built off of racism, hatred, and murder. And being generalizing the educational accomplishments of blacks as a function of affirmative action, perpetuates blacks' marginalization even further, because the implications of that logic would assert that blacks don't belong at Columbia, which is the very thing that elitist racists advocated pre-affirmative action.

+1
-35
-1
Differences Between Races posted on

"Any intelligent person knows that there are no biological differences in intelligence between races." I'm not saying that there are or are not, but I presume that you acknowledge there are differences between races in terms of their respective propensities to have high blood pressure, suffer from hemophilia, be taller or shorter, be overweight or underweight, die from various forms of cancer, etc.

For just about every biological element of the human condition, there are racial differences. Any yet you take as a given, a precondition to your entire post, that there are no differences in intelligence. That seems like a pretty big assumption.

+1
+3
-1

You're wrong and misunderstood my post. The racial differences mentioned in my and your posts are to social processes of exclusion, power, etc. Black American's propensity for high blood pressure is a consequence of slavery wherein they were forcefed high caloric, fatty foods, which became the staple of their diet that has remained up to the present. And that's not a biological difference of race. You're doing the same thing I was criticizing. For example, Africans don't have a higher "precondition" for HBP, even though they are considered to be the same race as black Americans. Furthermore, "higher risk" isn't real. It's merely a statstic. It's like saying that blacks are ten times more likely to be imprisoned than whites. That doesn't mean that the black person sitting next to you is guaranteed to become imprisoned... (uggh @ the unitelligence of these trolls lol)

+1
-57
-1

tl;dr

+1
+32
-1

"Any intelligent person knows that there are no biological differences in intelligence between races."

So, getting admitted to any institution of higher learing on anything other than academics is considered ...what?

Between Mr. Washington and his alleged victim, who would have the easier admittance to Columbia if it was just academically driven?

+1
-5
-1

you're right mr washington should not have come to columbia because his grades are worse than the victim's. in fact, why are there people with low high school gpa's in columbia anyways? must be affirmative action- and sports. because, of course, being good at a sports or anything in general cannot hold a candle to a high SAT score. fuck people with gpa's lower than 3.5. they should get kicked out of columbia. it is only a place for the academically elite! >:O

+1
-7
-1
oy squared posted on

He's an embarrassment for the civil rights movement.

+1
+13
-1

Amen. Rosa didn't sit, Martin didn't walk, and Obama didn't run so that CW could physically assault someone of a different race.

+1
+82
-1
asian woman posted on

This is a dumb thing to say, and ignores the complexity and mechanisms of not only race relations in America, but the nature and behavior of racism in general.

+1
-38
-1

"This is a dumb thing to say, and ignores the complexity and mechanisms of not only race relations in America, but the nature and behavior of racism in general."

Yours is a dumb thing to say. Yeah, It's really possible to address the "complexity" of race relations in a comment box.

+1
+21
-1

"Rosa didn't sit, Martin didn't walk, and Obama didn't run so that CW could physically assault someone of a different race." "This is a dumb thing to say"

My roommates and I thought it was quite eloquent, albeit wrenching in light of the situation at hand.

+1
+32
-1
asian woman posted on

Listen, my problem with that is that it's implying that white people or other ethnicities either aren't or shouldn't be held equally accountable for perpetrating anti-Asian bigotry in this country, just because members of their race didn't march fifty years ago or whatever (or they could have. You never know.)

+1
-52
-1

"my problem with that is that it's implying that white people or other ethnicities ... aren't ... held equally accountable"
Nope, that's not what the post says, that's what you're interpreting. Everyone is held to the SAME standard -- don't attack someone because of race, gender, religion, etc. In this specific case, it happened to be an African American who assaulted an Asian, so of course discussion is going to focus on that.

+1
+41
-1

true, he doesn't belong at this school, i mean just look at this guy... Chad is clearly a racist idiot, and he admitted he got in cause he was a black football player, Affirmative Action should be abolished!

+1
-5
-1
apple tree posted on

He's an embarrassment for his family ... unless they're proud of him for committing a hate crime ...

+1
+38
-1

friggin Columbia University is an embarrassment.

+1
-23
-1

You are an embarrassment. One person does not represent an entire University.

+1
+9
-1

Open your eyes and ears. There are many more than one person.

+1
-9
-1
GS '15 posted on

The bigger question is why does Columbia University even have athletic programs? Does anyone even go to Columbia University Sporting Events?

+1
+7
-1

Agreed.

+1
+12
-1

No, if the accusations are true, he's an embarrassment to Chad Washington. He doesn't speak for all athletes.

+1
+31
-1

Why do Columbia College students regularly create a climate of hate or disrespect for fellow students?

+1
-14
-1

So, is there anyone else that thinks it's incredibly ironic that someone who wrote about discrimination against athletes is being charged with a hate crime?

+1
+120
-1
Good job, Spec posted on

Admit you have very little information on this, report one side of the issue, and ruin someone's reputation on campus before all the facts can come out.

+1
-109
-1

Um... it was reported on, using his name, by a major news source. Damage done.

+1
+157
-1

The Wall Street Journal was outside McBain reporting on the story today so I wouldn't call it completely unjustified.

+1
+69
-1

"Admit you have very little information on this, report one side of the issue, and ruin someone's reputation on campus before all the facts can come out."

Admit you don't know what you're talking about.

+1
+25
-1

http://www.gocolumbialions.com//pics32/640/HI/HIZRGPTMYIPXFEU.20110829210012.JPG
A black man committing a hate crime. Ain't that some shit.

+1
-32
-1
jumpjoims posted on

Nobody just does that for no reason. The victim must have done something to piss him off. We're only hearing one side of the story.

+1
-136
-1

yea, the 5'7" asian kid did something to piss the 6'4" football player off. please.

+1
+90
-1

If he didn't do something to piss him off then where is he now?? oh wait thats right... he's hiding because he now realizes how stupid and immature he was for doing this to CW and the rest of the football team. Also.. there is only one side being told, cant wait for the rest of the details to come out. this is out of control and the school has NOT handled this the right way. so much for being a school that focuses on not discriminating.. all i have seen is discrimination and negative attitudes towards the athletes (mainly the football team) since this has happened.. this school is just a bunch of hypocrites trying to talk over each other. Poor representation of Columbia.

+1
-37
-1

Discrimination against athletes? Did you read the tweet gallery? I think there are bigger discrimination problems out there

+1
+22
-1
anon posted on

The alleged victim is "hiding because he now realizes how stupid and immature he was for doing this to CW and the rest of the football team"
What? You think someone does this just to take down an athletic program? I'm sure there are other things CW and his buddies can do that will tank the team. Don't blame the victim.

+1
-13
-1

Discrimination against athletes? Unfortunately, being an athlete isn't a protected class. Protected classes are: race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, familial status, disability status and veteran status.

+1
+4
-1

no matter what the asian guy did, nothing justifies calling somebody racially degrading terms and violently pushing him against the wall

+1
+137
-1
I wouldn't say nothing posted on

You ever heard the saying "Them's fightin' words"?

+1
-34
-1

Have you heard of Luke 6:31? I'm sure Chad Washington would have loved to had remembered it before all this happened, considering he went to a Catholic college prep school.

+1
-17
-1

"The 19-year-old victim, who is Asian, told police he was leaving a dorm with two female friends on West 113th Street early Sunday when the suspect and his friends began heckling the women, according to law enforcement sources.

When the victim tried to defend his friends, the suspect, identified as Chad Washington, allegedly called him slurs and started following him.

Washington then pushed him against a wall and grabbed him by his collar, the victim told police."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Columbia-Football-Player-Arrest-Asian-Harassment-206469211.html

+1
+50
-1

Right, because hate crimes always have rational causes. And they're usually the victim's fault.

This is disgusting.

+1
+58
-1

"Nobody just does that for no reason." Are you kidding? That's the essence of a hate crime, attacking someone for just ... being ... different.

+1
+34
-1
anon posted on

Of course, the alleged victim is at fault. Whatever the victim was doing had to have been something so egregious that an assault was the only option available. A cause and effect. That sounds so familiar ...

+1
+5
-1
Wow posted on

Not sure if it's linked in the Spec article, but here's the NBC article:

+1
-2
-1

But to be fair, if I lived in McBain I would probably hate people too.

+1
+75
-1
McBain RA posted on

lol this is true.

+1
+52
-1

If you know Chad, you know this is completely out of character for him. I caution people to wait for the full story before making judgement calls on him or his character.

+1
-46
-1

LOLOLOL. I've known people who have been harassed by them in McBain. "Completely out of character" my ass.

+1
+57
-1
curious1styear posted on

More likely alcohol/steroids and anger were involved. I'm not sure it was a "pre-meditated" hate crime but these days as soon as slurs are toss out in the heat of things that's surely what it will be labeled as. While they're at it, let's hold his buddies accountable too as they should've pulled him away or told him to stop, also it has been reported that they were involved in harrassing his female counterparts.

Either way, if they find a pattern in his behavior with previous incidents, better someone who continually harrasses other students no longer be around to do so.

+1
-5
-1
um posted on

What the hell does premeditation have to do with hate crime? They're separate categories. You can be racist on a whim and that wouldn't detract from the gravity of your crime.

+1
+8
-1

Who do you mean by "them"? Be specific because I know Chad well, and I know he's not that kind of person.

+1
-16
-1

"If you know Chad, you know this is completely out of character for him" Replace Chad with Ma’lik Richmond and Trent Mays.
Per his March 12 op-ed, he self identifies himself first as an athlete, yet feels awkward mentioning his student status. He feels that there should be some kind of entitlement because of him being an athlete. What happens when his entitlement encroaches upon others? That's a slippery slope.
Unless Chad had a psychotic break, this is his character.

+1
+7
-1

Do you want Ariel Castro's address or Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's? Apparently, they were crown jewels as well.

+1
-1
-1
I respect *talented* athletes posted on

Race issues aside, perhaps Columbia's football players would get more respect if they performed better.

+1
+24
-1

This guy knows what's up. A 1-9 record for the 2011-2012 season does not deserve respect. I guess the only way for them to redeem themselves is to start intimidating the students.

+1
+32
-1
Mary J posted on

This has nothing to do with athletes. Yes, Chad wrote a piece about athletes deserving respect, however, taking his actions as a representation of all athletes is completely unfounded. His actions have absolutely nothing to do with the football record or whether athletes deserve respect. Stop trying to pin his actions on 13% of the undergraduate population.

+1
+25
-1

but it does...

@Anon:

This kind of behavior is not unique to Chad and is in fact rich in the Columbia football players. I direct youto Tom Callahan's - a CU football player- twitter (@thomaspcallahan): It's littered with horrendous comments like:

"Asian is such a fucked up language #BANGBANG" on Jul 27

"Do Chinese people just call Chinese food 'food?' Is there a Chinese word for food, or is it just a bunch of weird noises like other words?" on 24 Nov

There are also antisemitic comments and anal rape jokes on the same twitter feed.

There is also a video available on Tom's twitter of another CU football player drinking Tom's urine. It's time we talk about the moral rectitude of these athletes. You just do not see this sort of behavior in other student groups on campus... Very sad, but the truth needs to come forward.

+1
+39
-1

can we replace "athlete" with "football player"? as well as every time "athlete" was use in that Eye article?

+1
+22
-1

football player, lacrosse player, hockey player, basketball player. but not swimmers, water-polo players, squash players, tennis players, fencers, baseball players, volleyball players, golfers.

+1
-10
-1

Do we even have a hockey team? And baseball and wrestling had their own scandals earlier this year with Greek life, so I'd put them in the former category.

+1
+2
-1

+1
0
-1

"There's an emoji for poop, but not one for black people"-Tom Callahan, Twitter, 4/14/13

No shortage of offensive tweets from this man. Pretty bummed that he actually goes to our school to be honest.

+1
+9
-1

Yay, Tom Callahan knows the Japanese word "emoji". How multi-culti. ::eye roll::

+1
-12
-1
tom callahan is antisemetic posted on

http://imgur.com/BK2cg2t

+1
+4
-1
Mary J posted on

"rich in the football players"? You mean rich in the Twitters of 4 football players. And I'm sure no one else on this campus has bigoted comments on their Twitters right? Do not get me wrong: I do not condone what Chad did, nor do I think the tweets made by these few members of the football team are in any way acceptable. However, to take tweets for 4 football players and apply them to all athletes, or even just the football team (which is what anyone who talks about "athletes" really means, as a commenter above me noted) has no weight. I have said racist things before, and I'm sure you have too. The only difference between the two of us and Tom Callahan is that we didn't post them on our twitter pages. Don't take a few people's actions and make them representative of the entire football team just because you don't like that our football team doesn't win.

+1
+14
-1

"Race issues aside, perhaps Columbia's football players would get more respect if they performed better."
That made me laugh. A nice break from the tension in this polarizing issue ...

+1
+8
-1

maybe they would perform better if the student body took the time to support the football team... just saying..

+1
-34
-1

+1
-15
-1

What? That's wrong on so many levels. When you go to a live performance, do you clap harder when the show sucks? And, if you know the show sucks, do you persuade others to come see the suck that you know is coming?
Just explaining.

+1
+8
-1
Pussification of America continues posted on

The fact that people can just go to the police whenever someone bigger than them responds to their bullshit violently has made many smaller people a lot bolder and a lot more confrontational.

+1
-89
-1

Or maybe, your larger size doesn't justify you being a violent and abusive asshole who doesn't have the mental capacity to act like a respectful human being.

+1
+48
-1
huh? posted on

So it's un-pussy to harrass strangers, hurl racist slurs and become physically violent. Okay. I'll be sure to smack someone random and then justify it by saying, "I'm un-pussificationing America, you n*gger c*nt". Yeah, that makes sense.

+1
+32
-1
Maybe just you posted on

Meanwhile you're whining on the internet about having to be scared of small people. I'd say you're the only one who's being pussified.

It ain't preschool anymore Dorothy, outside of the playground you can't always rely on size to win. I guess you're not a winner.

+1
+31
-1

I think the opertative word in your statement is "violently." If there as a beef between Washington and the victim, and Washington had calmly and coolly expressed his displeasure, then all of this would be nothing to talk about. But, it did turn violent, and guess who gets to be in the news? I don't think a handhake was going to be in the future between Washington and the victim when Washington decided to follow the victim.

+1
-9
-1

kid who ratted is a schmuck

+1
-92
-1

You have got to be kidding me?!

+1
+32
-1
no posted on

You're the schmuck.

+1
+29
-1
"no" clarification posted on

That was meant for the original poster, "Anonymous posted on May 8, 2:03am". He's the schmuck.

+1
+2
-1
Erik Joseph Campano posted on

Wait for the facts, everybody, before judging these two people.

+1
-21
-1

@Anon:

+1
+17
-1
It took courage for the Asian student to go to the police posted on

Good for the Asian student for standing up for himself and his friends and filing a police report. Anti-Asian racism persists in this country because racists think that Asians won't fight back because they can't speak "goodly engrish", they're weak, and they "all look alike" (-- I don't know the logic behind the latter). I can't believe the perpetrator is a student at COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, the academic home of some of the best minds in the country.

To the non-sensical commenters who think that the Asian student somehow provoked the hate crime and is a "rat" for going to the police: Do you also blame rape victims for getting raped and then seeking justice?

+1
+83
-1
'roid rage posted on

Chad Washington should be tested for steroids. Seriously, this sounds like 'roid rage. And he's got 'roid neck.

+1
+10
-1

The coaches better get these athletes in line. Name calling and pushing and bullying is never justified under any circumstances. The athletes represent Columbia University to the world, an dthis is embarassing.

+1
+20
-1

An African-American cannot be charged with a hate crime. Chad is from the mean streets of Oakland. He knows what true prejudice is all about. Picking on him is worse than the "alleged" incident.

+1
-70
-1
anon posted on

What? His being black and from Oakland does NOT entitle him to commit a hate crime. 'Nuff said.

+1
+66
-1
JASON posted on

THE BEST MINDS IN AMERICA YET you do not understand that the guy posting that Chad can't be racist he is from Oakland blh blh blah ,he is not saying that he belives that. He is stating the mindset of Racists that actually have used that defense many ,many, many times and so many times in the last few years! remember white cracker ass is not racist to some! Al.Jesse,Eric Holder and yes evn Obama have different standards of what a hate crime is based on race! You can live in fantasy land and believe these people have not said things to show their racism or if you want to call it racial hypocrisy? How about just the fact the media and all of liberal land basically wanted to lynch George Zimmerman because he was the most heinous mass murderer ever and of course he was racism ,just for the fact the one killed was black! Fast Forward to the baby that was killed by two teenagers when the mother wouldn't give them any money, or like she said ,didn't have any!!Of course being all fair in reporting many outlets do not mention (and some never do)if the attacker is black(gotta be PC and PC can't say that) and especially if the victim is white(no this country usually hides black on white hate crimes and a lot of the times Eric Holder and others will not call it hate crime when it is white on black) That is not trying to say anything all blacks are violent as some people here have tried to say someone means when talking about what the media usually hides!I wish there was not racism or no crimes but you can hide your head in the ground if you want but stats are still stats even if the media or others hide what happens in America which makes things much worse when they highlight Zimmerman but say nothing about the white baby killed by two black teenagers because the mom didn't have any mother and he told he he was gonna shoot her and her baby and kill him! so he shot her but grazed her and shot the baby in the face but do you think the media or Obama or any liberals in social media chimed in and made a national issue of this heinous crime,that is the lowest of low as the baby and the mom were totally innocent http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed commented or any other liberal outlet that wanted to lynch Zimmerman?How about Stevie Wonder,Eva Longoria,and many other celebrities jaz-z,beyonce,miami heat, the list goes on and on but them and all of social media that cares so much and fix all the wrongs of the world DO NOT CARE ABOUT THIS HATE CRIME WHICH IS CUT AND DRY AS THEY WERE GONNA SHOOT ANYWAY,LIKE A FEW BUCKS MADE A DIFFERENCE AFTER HE REPEATS WHE IS GONNA NOT ONLY SHOOT BUT ALSO KILL HER BABY AND DID! AND THEN THE JUST TIP OF THE ICE BERG OF ATTACKS THAT TOOK AWHILE FOR THE STORY TO EVEN GET OUT OF THE 3 BLACK 15 YEAR OLDS THAT VIOLENTLY BEAT THE f45k OUT OF THE WHITE 13 YEAR OLD WHILE THE BUS DRIVER ALSO BLACK DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO STOP THE ATTACK CAUGHT ON VIDEO http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/08/jackson-sharpton-stay-silent-on-school-bus-beating/ ,,,,,YET NO OUTCRY FROM OBAMA OR ANY LIBERAL OUTLETS OR JAYZ,STEVIE,LONGORIA,OR ANY OF THE RACISTS(YES WHEN THEY TREAT THE MURDERS OF ONE RACE SO MUCH DIFFERENTLY IN THE MEDIA,WHICH IS ALWAYS WHEN THE VICTIM IS WHITE...NOTHING TO SEE HERE ,MOVE ALONG...OR ELSE!!!!!! WHEN THEY MAKE SURE A BLACK VICTIM,EVEN IF HE WAS THE ATTACKER FIRST AND THE SURVIVOR IS WHITE OR HISPANIC...OHH THAT GUY/LADY WILL BE LYNCHED BY THE MEDIA AND DEATH THREATS AND BOUNTIES ON THEIR HEAD ARE COMMONPLACE AND ACCEPTABLE WITH NO REPERCUSIONS!! ZIMMERMAN! NOTHING DONE ABOUT IT AND BURIED LIKE MOST UN PC STORIES ARE!! HAHA IF I WAS FAMOUS AND PUT A BOUNTY ON SOMEONES HEAD,YOU CAN GUARANTEE ALL WILL CALL ME OUT AND CONDEMN ME AND THE SECRET SERVICE,IRS AND NSA WILL BE UP MY BUTT WITH ALL KINDS OF PROBES UNTIL I CAN NEVER SIT DOWN AGAIN!! TO IT WILL NEVER STOP THOUGH,THE PC LIBERAL MEDIA WILL ALWAYS DO THIS TRYING TO PIT RACE AGAINST RACE SO W DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ALL THE OTHER SCANDALS HAPPENING IN THIS COUNTRY! THE WILL ALLWAYS HYPE THE STORY IF A BLACK PERSON IS PERCEIVED AS A VICTIM AND ALWAYS DOWNPLAY IN AND MOST TIMES NOT EVEN MENTION RACE IF THE ATTACKER IS BLACK AND HOW DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES PEOPLE PERCEIVE THINGS??? ANY WONDER WHY SO MANY PERCEIVE AND REACT TO THOSE STORIES AND HOW MUCH HATE THAT CREATES??? NAH NEVER ,IF YOU TELL ONE GROUP THE OTHER GROUPS HATES THEM TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN AND THAT GROUP WANTS TO KEEP THEM DOWN ALWAYS AND EVERYTHING IS THEIR FAULT...THAT KINDA CRAZINESS SINKS IN,WHEN THE MEDIA PROJECTS THEIR BIGOTRY AND SAYS LIES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO PEOPLE THAT FEEL THEY CAN NEVER GET AHEAD AND IT IS SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT,YOU JUST NOW HAVE CREATED ANGER AND POSSIBLY HATRED TOWARDS THAT GROUP AND WHEN YOU RUN 24/7 ON THE NEWS THE SAME CRAPPP YEAR AFTER YEAR,YOU HAVE BEAT RACIST BEATDOWNS-AND THEY HAPPEN ALL THE TIME ACROSS AMERICA BUT NEVER GET REPORTED OR NEVER GET NATIONAL ATTENTION AND BURIED BECAUSE LIBERALS SAY OHH NO WE CAN'T REPORT THAT WE HAVE TO KEEP OUR VOTER BLOCK!! I BELIEVE MOST OF THE RACISM IS CAUSED BY THE LIBERAL MEDIA AND ALL FOR VOTES,TI KEEP IN POWER AND DAMDED BE THE CONSEQUENCES BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CARE AS MOST OF THEM ARE A LITTLE BIT RICHER THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON AND WHAT THEY DO DOESN'T AFFECT THEM....THEY ARE A PROTECTED CLASS AS LONGER AS THEY ARE LIBERAL!!!!MEDIA GUY POSES YEARS AGO WITH HIS SHIRT OFF AND IS A REPUBLICAN,HE IS DRUMMED OUT OF HIS JOB AD RESIGNS BECAUSE OF MEDIA PRESSURE...DEMOCRAT CURRENT SAN DIEGO ??? HOW MANY SEXUAL HARRASMENT PROBLEMS,HAS OBAMA COMMENTED ON HIM? ASKED HIM TO STEP DOWN? WEINER?? SO MANY CHANCES BUT HE LOVES SHOWING HIS WEINER AND AS LONG AS HE STILL KEEPS HIM POPULARITY TO DEMONCRAPS THAT CARE ABOUT NOTHING EXCEPT MAKING SURE A REPUB NEVER GETS IN.RATHER A OVER B BECAUSE WE HATE B,EVEN IF A IS THE SCUM OF THE EARTH AND A MOLESTER WE DON'T CARE,HE IS OUT GUY ON OUR SIDE!!! YES I AM RANTING BECAUSE IT IS JUST SO MUCH SH!1111tt GOING ON AND BURIED WHEN IT IS NOT PC AND WOULD SHOW TO THE NATION REALITY AND ALSO LEY YOUNGER MINDS SEE THAT HEY WOW THERE ARE AT LEAST AS MANY BAD PEOPLE FROM ALL RACES AND IT IS NOT JUST THEM AGAINST US...NOW I HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW!! IT IS NOT THOSE PEOPLE ALWAYS ATTACKING US OR OTHERS...BAD KNOWS KNOW COLOR....MAN I AM SO SORRY FOR MY VIEWS AGAINST OTHERS,WE ARE ALL BORTHERS AND SISTERS ,CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG WITHOUT EVEN OUR PREZ OVER AND OVER AGAIN SPEAKING UP AND INCITING TROUBLE AND RACISM!.........THAT WOULD BE A MUCH NICER WORLD AND YOU REALIZE MAN THEIR ARE POOR THAT GROUP TOO JUST LIKE THIS ONE OR ANOTHER...THEY ARE NOT ALL RICH AND ELITE LIKE THE MEDIA PORTRAYS OR AL AND JESSEE AND OTHERS SAY!!! OH YEAH THE BLACK AND OAKLAND COMMENT...... YOU AND A LOT OF PEOPLE DIDN'T COMPREHEND THE POSTER WAS NOT SAYING WHAT YOU THOUGHT OR TOOK FROM IT WITH OUTRAGE BEFORE YOU SAW HE WAS ACTING LIKE SOME THAT FEEL THEY CAN DO AND SAY WHAT THEY WANT TO OTHERS BECAUSE THEY ARE FROM OAKLAND AND BLACK AND THAT MEANS THEY CAN'T BE RACIST,WHICH HAS BEEN SAID TOO MANY TIMES FOR IT TO BE LIES,I HAVE EVEN HEARD STUFF LIKE THAT FROM A FRIEND THAT HIM AND HIS FATHER WERE SO CALLED PREACHERS AND I AM LIKE YOU DO REALIZE A LOT OF THAT YOU SAID WAS RACIST EVEN THOUGH YOU FEEL YOU CAN SAY STUFF ABOUT ANY AND ALL RACES AND SOMEHOW YOU CAN'T BE RACIST??? HUH ?? WTF?? MAN YOU IS CRAZY AND I FEEL SAD IF YOU SAY THAT TO THE CONGREGATION!!!!ALSO WAS VERY ANTI=SEMITIC BESIDES ALL THE WHITE BS HE SAID AND BELIEVED WHEN YOU SAY AND TALKED WITH HIM!!!! CRAZY MANNNNNN sorry I have bad adhd problem(along with many pain/muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory meds which do not help too much with also adhd) not under control and I forget to take meds anyways but that has nothing to do with the reality I have said!!! I am far from perfect and unfortunately talk like I right oops wirte lol I mean right omg I thought I finally got it right typing write!! lmao hey in my head I wrote write not right!!worse if someone else hd said a word I read and it stuck out I could right that word thiniing I wrote something else and oh yes it could be a bad word even racist type word I read and it stood out I could repeat it and having no intention of writing it and not negative or hateful thoughts that caused me to write it,sometimes I thin other people says stuff too not what they mean to say and nothing to do with them say being racist but that they saw or read or just heard someone else say it and it was on their mind because they could think it to be offensive and they say it accidently!! you can say BS because it can't happen to you but I could and have asked hey whats for dinner o something saw a spider or roach and said I we having roaches for dinner...Actuall what I said is mom I am hungry or something and thinking what to eat and said oh mom a roach let's eat it!!!not what I meant at all but was funny as hell to my mom for years!!So don't always assume before under pressure someone says something you find is offensive and that doesn't mean that is what they think but they were trying to say something else!! Shoot I reply yeah or yes first when someone is asking me something and then like no no I mean nooo...so I am afraid if ever in court and they asked me if I murdered someone I would be likely to say yes before my brain actually reacted and said noo noo of course I didn't do it...They would say I already admitted it though and they would be totally wrong! ugggg(yes I probably made other typing mistakes too along the way lol idc!) as I can't help myself.

+1
-16
-1
Jason posted on

of course it being 4:50am , I missed typed a lot of things. Oh well,the spell check Nazis will have their little say!!GOOD FOR THEM,THAT MEANS THEY ARE RIGHT OF COURSE!!!

+1
-2
-1

"Tell me something, when your child is born, is he already on parole?"

Mooj to Jay
The 40 Year Old Virgin

+1
+7
-1

A Columbia student physically threatened another student with a racial slur and shoved him against a wall.

All Columbia administrators do is cover their asses.

PrezBo, here's another one for you. You make me sick.

+1
+7
-1

Troll

+1
+2
-1

You're the troll. Troll.

+1
+20
-1

For the record, this was not just Chad. I witnessed the incident in question and there were six large guys, all of whom I recognized from the football team. They all participated equally but I guess that Chad guy was the one who was at the front of the pack so he took the flak. But all I'm saying is five racist football players are getting off scot-free because Columbia just loves its athletes, doesn't it?

+1
+58
-1

Do you remember if anyone else physically assaulted the Asian student? The incident is still new, so if others participated in the physical roughing up, perhaps they'll be charged as well. Otherwise, verbal taunting by itself likely isn't enough for an arrest.
I'm glad the Asian student filed charges. I'm glad there were witnesses. If these racist bullies aren't stopped, they'll just keep on attacking, thinking, "I've gotten away with it before, I'll get away with it again, no one can stop me".

+1
+18
-1

" If these racist bullies aren't stopped, they'll just keep on attacking, thinking, "I've gotten away with it before, I'll get away with it again, no one can stop me". "

And what's funny is that whenever someone stands up to them, they (and their supporters/apologists) are all aghast about how it can't be true, because it just can't be. Chad will probably trot out the old "I'm not racist because I have Asian friends" defense.

+1
-4
-1
'14 posted on

If this is true, then you need to speak to the police. This is a disgusting and abhorrent crime but if there's a chance that this guy was blamed for the brunt of the crime while four other guys (possible white) are getting off scot-free, then you need to act. now.

+1
+25
-1

"if there's a chance that this guy was blamed for the brunt of the crime while four other guys ... are getting off scot-free"
Who knows what went on behind the scenes. Maybe the other guys flipped on Chad (that is, agreed to testify against him in exchange for immunity). This is **complete** speculation. But agreed, if others were involved in the PHYSICAL roughing up, they should also be held accountable. Hate speech, unfortunately, is still protected by freedom of speech.

+1
+8
-1

As a witness to the incident, did you make sure to let the police and other campus authorities know your story?

+1
-8
-1

He is a great person

+1
-43
-1

"He is a great person"

... if you like racists.

+1
+16
-1
You voted '-1'.

Apparently, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is as well.

+1
-8
-1

It's been reported that a CU Public Safety officer witnessed the event and refused to intervene. The authorities should me made to answer for that, and if that officer did indeed ignore the situation, he should fired. What are they there for if not to protect students, even from other students?

+1
+8
-1

Terrible, just terrible. What race was the public safety officer? That may or may not matter.

+1
+20
-1
Chad's Asian friend posted on

As an Asian and Chad's friend, I was shocked to read that this happened because he's a sweet guy. If you don't know him and weren't there, I don't think it's necessary to be so negative considering we don't know his side of the story.

+1
-32
-1

I'm a black guy and am embarrassed by Chad's actions.

+1
+35
-1
Nony posted on

I'm a black woman who attends the university, and I am outraged by his actions.

+1
+54
-1
Asian and not Chad's friend posted on

Chad doing what he did in this instance, when and where else does he does this? As his Asian friend, have you asked him what happened? And, as his Asian friend, do you condone or condemn what he's alleged to have done?

+1
+14
-1

And as an Asian and Chad's friend, did you remind him that although it's okay to make all the racist and sexist jokes that you want between you two as friends, but maybe...just maybe...since he's a student athlete and represents the school, that he should think twice before many any comments remotely close to that in public? especially towards students he doesn't know.

Just because "he's my friend" isn't a valid excuse. We've all had friends who have done stupid things in their lives. BUT, a better friend would lecture them and tell them to take RESPONSIBILITY and understand there are issues in both communities, whether it's White, Black, Asian, or women and try to show more acceptance and maturity.

Actually I'd go up to to those Asians who made these accusations and ask what he said as well. But what we already do know is that this "friend" of yours has no objection to posting RACIAL JOKES towards Asians on twitter. You must have missed that part. I guess you can post the "When the Professor turns off the lights, nobody can see him because he's Black" joke on Twitter to make it even, since your his friend and all.

+1
0
-1

http://culions.blogspot.com/

+1
0
-1
@thomaspcallahan posted on

Tom Callahan deleted his Twitter, but all of his tweets are here: http://m.uploadedit.com/b014/1368035545721.txt

+1
+12
-1

You can never kill the internet. Viva online karma.

+1
+12
-1
Concerned posted on

Columbia seriously needs to reconsider its reverse-racism diversity admissions policies. Maybe this is why we'll always be second-rate to HYP.

+1
-12
-1

Second Rate my Ass.

Columbia Princeton Harvard and Yale are all in the first tier ivies.

The rest well are safety schools.

+1
-2
-1

is this really the time to bring up college rankings? A kid was the victim of a hate crime, for God's sake. go back to College Confidential

+1
+34
-1

+1
+8
-1

What does this mean, HYP allows blacks to slander whites and Asians?

+1
+2
-1
Nony posted on

I'm glad this racist, sexist tool got thrown in jail.

+1
+2
-1

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Remember that before you condemn a kid without all the facts on the table.

+1
+2
-1

He's not a kid. He's an adult, 6'4", 242 lbs.

+1
+29
-1
i mean, posted on

check out his teammates tweets. I feel fine condemning them for that

+1
+4
-1

keep in mind on a team of about 100, tweets from five or six kids only represent a very small portion of the entire team. Don't generalize a small percentage's views on the whole

+1
-10
-1

spineless whining

+1
+3
-1
Old Alum posted on

If none of the 100 other team members did anything about the offensive tweets, then the actions of 5 or 6 DO reflect upon the entire team. It has been noted that the players' twitter accounts were linked on an official Columbia account, so it is hard to plead ignorance. Something to keep in mind if you ever see something wrong in a group or organization of which you are part.

+1
+26
-1

WKCR Sports ‏@WKCRsports 2m

Here is a cursory look at @ColumbiaLionsFB players using highly offensive speech on their public Twitter accounts http://imgur.com/a/iMGQm#0

+1
+17
-1

curious look at non football players tweets... should we start generalizing the whole student population as racist, homophobic, and bigoted now??

http://imgur.com/a/kfemI#0

+1
+8
-1

gallery of football player's offensive tweets. Seems to be kind of a problem

http://imgur.com/a/iMGQm#0

+1
+3
-1

it was all caught on camera

+1
+28
-1

ouch.

+1
+6
-1

Dear 5'7" Asian "victim" SHOW YOURSELF you coward

+1
-64
-1

Don't blame the victim, man. It took courage for him to press charges against a 6'4", 242lb alleged racist, who may or may not be gunning to re-victimize him all over again.

+1
+48
-1

courage??? are you kidding me? courage is being the bigger person and NOT going after him post initial confrontation. Courage is being the bigger person and walking away (he obviously missed that day in preschool). Courage would have been being the bigger person assessing the situation before acting. Reporting it to the campus police would have been courageous and would have solved the problem.. this dude just ruined a lot of peoples lives over a small college scuffle that would have originally meant nothing in a couple months if this victim had been smart about the whole situation.. i don't agree with racial slurs but when you make a scenario that happens between two students this outrageous your just an ass hole..

+1
-65
-1

WHAT??????
1. "courage is being the bigger person and NOT going after him post initial confrontation."
RESPONSE: Uh, being the bigger person is NOT heckling females and NOT hurling racist slurs.
2. "Courage would have been being the bigger person assessing the situation before acting."
RESPONSE: Uh, assessing the situation before acting would have been NOT shoving the student into the wall.
3. "Reporting it to the campus police would have been courageous and would have solved the problem"
RESPONSE: NO, it would have SWEPT the problem under the rug and would have had the university close ranks to avoid public scrutiny and scandal. It would have ONLY solved the problem for the alleged perpetrator, which is what you clearly want.
4. "your just an ass hole.."
RESPONSE: And you possess calm, rational thinking and wonderful spelling skills. Cheers.

+1
+50
-1

"this dude just ruined a lot of peoples lives"
wtf? They ruined their own lives. STOP BLAMING THE VICTIM.

+1
+62
-1

The victim protected his friends and himself by using the law.

Campus police is a tool of university administrators, who have no courage, no wisdom, no spine. Some of them may be sucking your dick. But I agree that's besides the point.

+1
+30
-1

"Dear 5'7" Asian "victim" SHOW YOURSELF you coward"
Hypocrite much? You're calling the victim a "coward" and daring him to reveal his identity? OUT YOURSELF FIRST, you hater.

+1
+27
-1

It's because of haters like you that victim shield laws exist.

+1
+22
-1

I don't know where the victim grew up, but I'm pretty sure that his actions are the ones that our society would want to follow. Would it have been better if he got a weapon of some sort and returned for some street justice? That's an unacceptable escalation of violence. If you look up Chad's home city (Oakland, CA) under neighborhoodscout.com, what should his response be if he were to be faced with the same situation?

+1
-2
-1

I HOPE AND PRAY THAT THE ASIAN STUDENT WHO PRESSED CHARGES REMAINS SAFE FROM RETALIATION. I hope the university and police have protections in place for him.

+1
+47
-1

Certainly the university will not do this. If someone retaliates against the victim, PrezBo should be personally liable for criminal negligence.

+1
+6
-1

The spec is a worthless campus paper. Provide facts in a case like this. There is no need to make a tough situation worse. At least change the headline from hate crime (felony) to aggravated harassment (misdemeanor). This is a serious situation and the spec has chosen to portray it as a football player and football team vs. the columbia student body problem. It's pathetic. This is a student on student issue. This is awful journalism and slanderous.

+1
-21
-1

Harshing on the paper isn't going to change what happened.

+1
+41
-1

Your right harshing on the paper won't change what happened; however, headlines in a paper can affect a persons life well into the future. Regardless of the outcome of this situation when an employer looking to hire Chad Washington in the future googles his name, the phrase "charged with hate crime" will appear. The paper is irresponsible by not retracting its headline and posting a new one. It's a poor representation of an elite institution. It's embarrassing to be associated with the paper in any way.

+1
-6
-1

This is from Wikipedia's article on "Hate Crime":
"Hate crime is a category used to describe bias-motivated violence: "assault, injury, and murder on the basis of certain personal characteristics: different appearance, different color, different nationality, different language, different religion.""
Although Mr. Washington isn't charged with the CRIMINAL offense but with a misdemeanor, the charge is under the umbrella of "hate crime", which may be why the media, including this paper, continues to utilize the term.
As for being Googled in the future, I hate to say this, but perhaps Mr. Washington should have thought of that before the alleged heckling, racial slurs, and aggravated assault.

+1
+24
-1

Yes. These are very poignant points you are making. Thanks to Mr. Washington and Mr. Callahan, Columbia football, once associated with only forgivable ineptitude, has become entwined with all that is vile and base. Who would have imagined that anything to do with Columbia could be remotely associated with the KKK in the modern era. Thank you Mr Callahan for this lasting legacy.

+1
0
-1

This clearly was not a hate crime! The article verifies that it was not a hate crime. There is no evidence of this being a premeditated act. Chad did not go out purposely looking to heckle an Asian, and there is no past history of this kind of behavior from Chad. I personally know Chad, and I know he has nothing but love for people of every color. The last thing he is, is racist. Also, no one even knows what "racial slurs" were said to this Asian for everyone to be condemning Chad so heavily as a racist. The worst he probably did was call him Jackie Chen which the Asian took to heart. My point is not to justify Chad's actions, but to make it clear that the allegations against him that he is racist and committed a hate crime are far fetched. I'm here for you Chad! Sincerely, your friend

+1
-41
-1

"The worst he probably did was call him Jackie Chen"
It's Jackie CHAN, fool. At least get your racism right.

+1
+44
-1

ROTFLMFAAO! ("rolling on the floor laughing my flat Asian ass off")
** still laughing **

+1
+21
-1

It's not what he is. It's what he did.

We're in an adult world here, right? Bright young adults known as Columbia University students. Why all the excuses and evasions? Let due process happen, and either he is exonerated or will have his ass slung in jail. If the latter, his future will be destroyed? Well I doubt about destroyed, unless he repeated his alleged act. His future would be damaged, certainly. But again, it's what he did.

I do not give a flying fuck whether or not you personally know the accused. Again, it's what he did.

+1
+2
-1

My friend, just because he "did not go out purposely looking to heckle and Asian" doesn't mean that when he had an opportunity to do so, he didn't do it. Per what was reported, three persons, 2 females one male, of Asian descent were walking by. Chad said something to the females, the male said something back. He then allegedly followed said trio of Asians, and used allegedly used racial slurs and put his hands on the male.
"The worst he probably did was call him Jackie Chen" could be construed as how? Let's see: black hair, slanted eyes, yellow skin ...OF COURSE! JACKIE ! ! ! Because there are absolutely no other Asians out there, other than Jeremy Lin, George Takei, Eric Shinseki, Gary Locke, Ken Watanabe, IM Pei, John Cho, Masaharu Morimoto, Ken Jeong, Daniel Dae Kim, Pat Morita, B.D. Wong, Yo-Yo Ma, and so on and so on. If his only reference is "Jackie Chen," perhaps he should get more exposure, and/or look into getting a better fitting helmet. (When I was growing up, it was Bruce Lee.)

+1
+9
-1
Gil Greenman posted on

Signed,

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva

+1
-8
-1
Columbia Parent posted on

Reading about this incident truly makes me sad. Columbia is one of the most diverse colleges and for this to happen at Columbia just demonstrates that as a society we have more work to do. Just disgusting. I hope the administration takes this seriously. Dissapointed that Public Safety did not step in.

+1
+9
-1

I've seen this dude do stuff like this before. Glad someone finally called him on.

Kick this disgrace off campus!

+1
+59
-1

Would you/others be willing to provide documentation? It would likely help prosecution's case in establishing the alleged assault as a pattern of behavior and not a one-off. Please consider it.

+1
+48
-1

That does sound reasonable. Would that include his juvenile record, if he has one? Because nothing of note happens before the age of 18.

+1
+10
-1
Anthony Villamagna posted on

My name is Anthony Villamagna, and I am a Columbia football player who will be graduating on May 22, 2013 with many of you. In light of the recent events involving a member of football team, I would like to submit my own perspective on some of the issues surrounding the football team that have arisen in the subsequent days.

I would like to start off by saying that my views are not reflective of the football team, the coaching staff, the athletics department, or any of my teammates. My views are my own and should not be treated as those of any group or organization on campus. Furthermore, I will not comment directly on Chad Washington’s arrest or the circumstances surrounding it. I reaffirm the stance taken by the Asian American Alliance and many others in the Administration and across campus that hate crimes, physical and verbal abuse have absolutely no place at Columbia. Every person has the right to be protected from these acts. I will not make a judgment on the events of this past weekend until the process of the law has run its course.

I would like to make very clear that the opinions of a number of people within a group should not, and does not, necessitate the entire group’s complicity with those opinions. The football team is made up of roughly 100 individuals with widely diverse personal backgrounds. Our political ideologies, extracurricular interests, and personal philosophies differ from person to person. We are not a homogenous group, but rather a collection of individuals from across the nation that love to play the sport of football. It has been very upsetting and disturbing to see a number of the tweets written by teammates of mine because, having known many of them for a number of years, I do not feel as if they accurately reflect their beliefs. Regardless, the tweets were tweeted and there is no denying what was said. They were, in my opinion, moments of incredibly poor judgment by people who do know much better than that. However, they did occur and should be held accountable for what they put out there. I do not share any homophobic or racist views found within, nor do I believe they are shared by the overwhelming majority of Columbia football players. They are not acceptable within a society like Columbia and should not be tolerated.

Much has been made over the years about the “divide” between regular students and student-athletes at Columbia. I will only comment as to my personal experience with this. As a football player, my time for most of my days were scheduled around football and classes. The overwhelming majority of my time was spent with my teammates. I came to school along with the rest of my teammates before every other student and were having our “Camp”, or pre-season practices, for about 14 hours a day every day for two weeks before school started. While other students were bonding with each other at NSOP, I was bonding with my teammates through our mutual suffering. I don’t believe I had my first meaningful interaction with a non-football player until after our season ended around Thanksgiving time. This is mostly my fault as I should have made a greater effort to reach out to many of the great people that populated my classes. I cannot put the blame entirely on my schedule. Since then, I have always tried to interact with people outside of my “insular” football group and I believe that I have made some good friends who are not associated with football or athletics in any way.

I recognize that the stereotype exists about football players. I recognize that wearing my grey sweatshirt that is emblazoned “COLUMBIA FOOTBALL”, it will automatically garner a prejudice against me. It is disheartening to hear a professor, upon hearing that I’m a football player on the last day of class, tell me that “You hide it well.” There is animosity on both sides, from athletes and from non-athletes, some deserved, but most of it not. I cannot help but think that a small number of athletes and a small number of students widen the divide for the entire community. I truly believe that I am both a Columbia student and a Columbia football player. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

In short, some of the public views of a minority of my teammates are utterly shocking to me. I have been with these guys for many hours and I do not believe them to be as bigoted as they seem to be through their comments. That being said, their words are rightfully being condemned across the community and they are being held accountable for what was said. I would hope to impress upon the Columbia Community at large that I believe these views are not common in an overwhelming majority of the football team. This is an eye opening moment that does warrant considerable soul searching. I hope that it may serve as a teachable moment to remind us that everyone is responsible for what they say and that we as a united Columbia community will move forward with greater awareness and greater understanding.

Anthony Villamagna, CC '13

+1
-26
-1

Racism against Asian Americans is very real, very hurtful, and criminally underacknowledged. Asian Americans are widely distrusted, they are least likely to be promoted in government and financial institutions, they are widely seen as demure/nerdy/awkward/antisocial/unambitious/homogeneous, males are least likely to date outside their race, females are horrifically sexually objectified by non-Asian males, young Asian students face the most objectively stringent criteria for college admissions, Asian storeowners are portrayed as the bad guys when history courses in secondary school discuss the L.A. riots, etc. It is especially problematic how society and media emasculate Asian males (how many small penis jokes have you heard/told in your life?), without anything close to a commensurate level of recognition and criticism of this racist paradigm. This hate crime was most certainly an issue of race and masculinity. To say that such racist and damaging views are "not common in an overwhelming majority of the football team" is a dangerous farce; such views are widely held throughout the population, and there is only evidence to suggest that the football team is more racist than average.

+1
+36
-1
Lou Little posted on

"Teachable moment." My ass. A self-absorbed, inane comment by a JV "athlete." Congrats on your diploma and best of luck at the McDonald's in Cypress.

+1
-4
-1
gocolumbialions.com posted on

Let's also talk about the fact that there is no "Anthony Villamagna" listed on the Football roster..

+1
+5
-1

JUST KIDDING!
Found him

+1
-1
-1

"After the victim tried to defend his friends, the suspect followed him and call him racial slurs"

A simple matter of tense, Spec. Please pay more attention to simple grammar

+1
-19
-1

"A simple matter of tense, Spec."
Thank you for highlighting a simple matter of a sentence fragment, commenter.
"Please pay more attention to simple grammar"
Please pay more attention to simple punctuation at the end of a sentence.
[No, I'm not on Spec staff.]

+1
+21
-1

I will never ever give a f**king shit to the football team.

"what's awesome is that Columbia's football team just issued a team update TODAY, praising this criminal's improvement on the field.
http://www.gocolumbialions.com...
"Chad Washington has become much more consistent as a player. Chad has improved as a run defender and made more progress as a pass rusher. "

And maybe this: "chad is working on using his words to express his needs and emotions and to peacefully resolve conflicts."
"

+1
-5
-1

"chad is working on using his words to express his needs and emotions and to peacefully resolve conflicts."
That has got to be an editorial prank. It makes him sound like a tantrum throwing toddler. I just checked the site, and that sentence appears to have been removed. Glad you captured it, though. It's amusing. (Hmm, unless you just made it up yourself.)

+1
+26
-1

This piece of shit will die in seven hells

+1
+16
-1

fucked up and trolling

+1
-16
-1

We have heard enough. Spec, please take this post down. It is not helping our community. This is a terrible way to end a fantastic year at Columbia.

+1
-29
-1

I am a big fan of the Columbia Football team, but I am heartbroken by the facts that have come out and very disappointed in the members who engaged in this kind of behavior. I would ask that we wait for the process to occur, and not "rush to judgement" on this particular student, or the entire team. I find that if the actions as stated are proven true, then this act of hateful words and the physical attack are unacceptable, and I have sympathy for the victim and his friends.

When I first became a parent, and basically did not know what to do - I read if your child does something wrong, you don't tell him or her they are stupid but that they did a stupid thing.

I think these transgressions are general to our population (leaving aside the physical aspect of this confrontation, which I condemn). I was at a high school sporting event recently my son was a part of. In the bleachers I overheard some of the students verbally sparring with each other, using various racist and homophobic taunts. I considered asking them to stop - but was hoping a parent or teacher with them would do so. Later they were doing more of the same in front of the snack bar and a teacher spoke up at them and said "Gentlemen, your language is inappropriate."

I am aware of the distance between academics and athletics, and I was not an athlete in any way, but I do believe that the endeavor of athletics can be a force for good, and can lift up students, some of whom may not have the financial capital to attend any college, let alone Columbia.

Again, I am dismayed by the actions of some on the team, but will not be party to a overall condemnation of the team, or any other athletic team, overall.

A. Peck
Columbia Grad

+1
-4
-1
Richard posted on

What does the fact that Chad Washington plays football have to do with this? If he had made these comments at an official football function (practice, game, etc.) that is one thing, but his status as an athlete has no bearing on this story. So, a Columbia student walking down the street allegedly makes some dumb comment to someone - why is he immediately categorized as an athlete and not, say, a history major? I suppose it is because that narrative plays into the stereotype of entitled athletes at elite universities who think they are above the rules. Duke Lacrosse, anyone?

+1
-1
-1
notRichard posted on

Have you read his gripping op-ed piece from March 12? He's more comfortable identifying himself as a football player, rather than a student who also plays on the football team. Also in his op-ed, he moans and groans how the athletes don't get enough entitlements. Shady Steubenville-style antics, anyone?

+1
+25
-1

I partially blame the coaching staff and the administration. Big Pete is a new kind of hired gun slinger to CU athletics. He bullies his way through - all the way to M. Dianne Murphy. He has changed the culture in a negative way. That is why I quit. MDM shame on you for allowing these buccaneer tactics - #RMFL - please tell us MDM that you knew that didn't mean Roree My favorite Lion. You have allowed this to slowly flow out of control. Shame on you all.

+1
-7
-1

Chad's getting a lot of exposure, but the "victim" won't speak up? Reveal yourself 5'7" asian man who picked a fight with an insanely attractive 6'4" college LINEBACKER.

+1
-21
-1

Honestly all of you talking shit about Chad have probably never talked to him before. He's a good guy. All everyone is hearing is the "victims" side of the story. The whole situation was blown out of proportion and everyone will see once Chad's story comes out. Don't comment on a persons character if you've never met them before. He is one of the politest, kind, and hard working individuals I have ever met. Stop talking shit about him and move on with your lives.

+1
-30
-1

I haven't met Tamerlan Tsarnaev, but that doesn't mean I don't want to kick him in the nuts.

+1
+6
-1

A story I think at the Gothamist provided more details on a story that's been kinda one-sided so far, although Washington was definitely deplorable.

Apparently, Washington & his friends bumped into or brushed against the Asian kid and his friends on the street and the Asian kid started making provocative comments. Washington responded with some seriously unfortunate racial slurs and shoved the kid against a wall. Both parties were reportedly drunk. The next day the Asian kid called the police.

On one hand I am appalled at Washington's behavior. On another hand the Asian kid sounds like a turd and coward. Most people who get shoved in a fight they ill-advisedly provoked don't cry to the police the day.

+1
-25
-1

"On another hand the Asian kid sounds like a turd and coward. Most people who get shoved in a fight they ill-advisedly provoked don't cry to the police the day."

Go f*ck yourself. You've obviously NOT been victimized by racists YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. At some point, you've had enough and you take a stand. The Asian student wasn't just "shoved" like in a stupid bar brawl. He was degraded with racial slurs, which is now thankfully a hate crime. If Chad Washington had just called the Asian student a "p*ssy" or "motherf*cker" or whatever, the Asian student would have had no legal recourse. But Chad Washington chose to unleash his racist hate and call the student "Asian p*ssy" and "ch*nky eyes". And if the Asian student HADN'T filed a police report, you know that Chad Washington and his friends would have laughed about what he said and did, mocked the Asian student, continued with their racist offensive tweets, and possibly escalate their damaging, bullying, hateful behavior.
So to repeat: Go f*ck yourself. Hard.

+1
+29
-1

Well, as we have learned, no crisis should go to waste. Coach Mangurian should motivate his team by telling them the opposition is full of Asian players. Watch out, Harvard and Penn!

+1
-4
-1
JZ posted on

The football player is just jealous of Asians. Asians don't have to play football to get in but he has to play sports...just like all other blacks.

+1
+10
-1

Jeez Alex Yu really stirred the pot with this one

+1
-17
-1

Perhaps it's just not enough to embarrass yourselves, your families, and your alma mater on Saturdays in the fall. Well done Columbia Football! You have finally succeeded in something.

+1
-2
-1
Louis C.K. posted on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

+1
-1
-1

None of us were there, before you voice your opinions and make judgments be aware of the facts. "A wise man knows what he doesn't know".... Use some common sense people. This is getting out of hand.

+1
+4
-1

Where is this victim though? I am curious as to why he has not publicly spoken about the so called incident that affected him so badly.

+1
-18
-1

If the administration takes this seriously, people in positions of responsibility will be fired or made to resign ASAP. If you think that's harsh, just imagine how quickly the axe would fall if blacks were being physically victimized or ridiculed on Twitter by "student athletes".

+1
+13
-1

http://imgur.com/a/kfemI#0

+1
-32
-1

http://imgur.com/a/kfemI#0

+1
-3
-1
Get Rid Of Affirmative Action posted on

How did this stupid walking piece of scum get into such a prestigious ivy school in the first place? Oh Yea cause he’s black and an athlete….. this article forgot to mention he was also heckling 2 woman who were with the victim at the time… LETS GIVE THIS SORRY PIECE OF TRASH A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE, SEND HIM TO A KKK RALLY!!!

+1
+13
-1

And of course it's mostly Blacks coming to his side an claiming the media is being bias because he's Black, without even considering that maybe he's already entitled for being a athlete.

The tweets already reveal the type of "tolerance" he shows towards other ethnic groups. Would it be surprising to anyone that a MALE ATHLETE would make any sort of chauvinistic or sexist comment towards women? do men never harass women? If White students made jokes about Black students, like "The Professor turned off the lights and now we can't see the Black kids"....the Black community would be in UPROAR.

But this is just another case of a double-standard in which just because he's BLACK, he's a victim and should NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. That's why race claims have become a joke and playing the race card only applies to Blacks.

+1
-6
-1
joe posted on

that right.. America for White and black.. asian please get out!

+1
-34
-1
ChadWashingtonIsARacist posted on

Joe, I salute your eloquence. I believe that deep inside, you are a true racist who is including Blacks in your discourse about America simply to be accepted as a 'neutral' individual. Please note the capital letters you employed for America and White in your peerless rhetoric...
A quick historical note before I part with this thread: the Chinese and the Irish built the railroads in the USA. Do you realize this simple feat of engineering and hard labor actually contributed to the economic expansion of the entire country?
It was quite enlightening conversing with you but, as you will undoubtedly have surmised by now, I have more pressing matters to attend to. This is not to say that discussing racial issues and the ethnic composition of this country with a such a refined embodiment of human sympathy and tolerance is of no interest to me, Sir.

+1
-2
-1

I always wonder why there has been no major civilization in the sub-Sahara region. Here you go, the answer is right above.

Columbia must stop the affirmative actions. If it helps, cancel all the sports teams. No one really give a damn

+1
-7
-1

Flabbergasted by your capacities for over-generalizing!!!

+1
-3
-1

Wonder who's paying for Washington's attorney fees...

+1
-2
-1
ChadWashingtonIsARacist posted on

I've seen his picture and he looks like a guy who thinks a lot of himself. He has forgotten what ALL ethnic minorities in the USA have gone, and are still going, through when it comes to racism. The guy thinks his skin's color has turned white because he plays the quintessential American sport. I bet you he lacks self-confidence and tries to compensate for it with an excessive use of physical force in all and any occasion. The poor sod doesn't even realize he's being called the 'N' word behind his back by his non-African American teammates and that, beside catching a ball and running, he is unable to do anything useful in his pathetic, sad life. Wake up Chad, monkeys can do that too...Oh wait, you do look like one :)

+1
-5
-1
Alice Zindagi posted on

*sigh*

I don't know that we should crucify a whole athletics department for the actions of a handful, when the average college campus has people calling each other "fag" and saying "no homo" all over... hell... everywhere... Examine the tweets of the entire college and I'm sure you'll see much, much worse.

That being said...

When it it ever appropriate to be this biased? You would hope they'd realize after Alexandra Wallace and Samuel Hendrickson that it's probably not a good idea to put anti-Asian vitriol online, but the stupidity of some people amazes me. I would hate to be them right now.

http://www.asianmanwhitewoman.com/alice-zindagi/featured/the-new-alexandra-wallace-10-reasons-id-hate-to-be-racist-samuel-hendrickson-on-facebook/

+1
+5
-1

Columbia's administration trying to sweep this anti-Asian hate-crime under the rug comes as no surprise to me. I am a Columbia alum, and during one academic year there, I was placed in a housing suite with two African American students, one of whom was an RA! I am Asian AMERICAN. Despite my initial attempts at being friendly, as I am with all new suite mates, these two "ladies" decided to HARRASS ME DAILY with racial slurs, and subjected me to other offensive comments that targeted not just Asians, but whites, people of the Jewish faith and homosexuals. Once I realized that "being the bigger person" by using reason and civility, asking them explicitly to respect my rights and to STOP their disgusting behavior DID NOT WORK, I reported this to the Housing Administrators and to the University in general. I then became the object of derision, and the University's Housing Administrators decided, instead of conducting an impartial investigation, to make me the target of their investigation. I received many hostile emails from a person I believe was the head of the housing office, asking me if I "knew" "how serious" "my allegations were" and threatening me at every step along the way to drop my complaint. By the way, one of my roommates was the head of the student "diversity commitee" She was quite the actress. To make a long story short, I DID NOT DROP MY COMPLAINT, and ended up in a "mediation" type setting with a housing higher up. This woman pretended to listen to my complaints, then swept the whole thing under the rug! I later learned from another friend, who is white and also an RA, that the same woman who had been harrassing me, was not only friends with the housing administrator with whom I met, but that she had previously had a complaint filed against her, ALSO FOR RACIAL HARRASSMENT, by a young woman of Hispanic descent the year before, yet she was still allowe to serve as an RA and reap all the benefits thereof! In any event, my story comes full circle, in that now I am a civil rights attorney for the government, and ironically the people who file the most complaints happen to be African American, many of whom are extremely hostile themselves to Asians and Asian Americans for no apparent reason. Because I have been told I "sound white" over the phone, I have been subjected to the nastiest, most racist comments from my African American clients when we meet in person. Just disgusting!

+1
+16
-1

Hmm, I wonder if Chad's defenders are also defending Paula Deen...

+1
+25
-1

... or that Aryan-Aaryn-Hitler-racist-trash from Big Brother ...

+1
+5
-1
MARK TRAINA posted on

Why is the RACE of these CRIMINALS and the RACE of the VICTIMS not REPORTED?
Were these CRIMES RACIALLY MOTIVATED?
This is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of the "POLITICALLY CORRECT" NEWS MEDIA that is MISLEADING U.S.!
NAAWP says read "SURVIVAL DIGEST"!

http://www.survivaldigest.net/...

MARK TRAINA NAAWP PRESIDENT, CEO and NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON

fatuouscra@aol.com

+1
-1
-1
MARK TRAINA posted on

EFFIN NEEGLEETES plead NOT GUILTY in VET BEATING DEATH!

NAAWP THEORY:

“The YOUNG BLACK THUGS pled GUILTY to WATCHING the OLE VET STEAL his own WALLET, and then BEAT HIMSELF to DEATH with a BASEBALL BAT and their only GUILT is FAILING to STOP the ole WHITE VET from ROBBING and KILLING himself!”

Demetruis Glenn, left, a teen that allegedly took part in the robbery and beating of 88-year-old World War II veteran Delbert Belton, listens to his lawyer, Christian J. Phelps, before a first appearance via video teleconference in District Court in Spokane, Wash., Monday, Aug. 26, 2013.
Nicholas K. Geranios of Associated Press
Demetruis Glenn and Kenan Adams-Kinard are pleading not guilty in the beating death of 88-year-old World War II veteran Delbert "Shorty" Belton.
SPOKANE, Wash. — The two 16-year-old boys charged in the beating death of an 88-year-old World War II veteran have entered not guilty pleas and will be tried in November.
Demetruis Glenn and Kenan Adams-Kinard are being tried as adults in the case that has sparked nationwide outrage.
Kenan Adams-Kinard
The teens said little during their separate appearances Thursday before Spokane County Superior Court Judge James Triplet.
They are accused of beating Delbert "Shorty" Belton to death in his car outside an Eagles Lodge in Spokane last month.
A letter found at the home where Adams-Kinard was arrested said they punched Belton three times before taking his wallet and drugs from his pockets, authorities said.
Belton's body was found wedged between the front bucket seats, with his lower body folded into the back seat. The suspects' fingerprints were found on the doors of the car, court documents state.
The teens were being held on charges of first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery. They could face life in prison if convicted.
The letter indicated Adams-Kinard had called Belton and arranged to buy crack cocaine. However, police have said there was no evidence that Belton was a drug dealer.
Belton was born in Sunnyside and raised in Spokane. He got his nickname as an adult for being just over 5 feet tall.
After the war, he spent 33 years working for Kaiser Aluminum before retiring in 1982. He survived being shot in the leg in the battle for Okinawa.
Glenn, who turned himself in, was being held in lieu of $2 million bail, and his trial was set for Nov. 9. Adams-Kinard, who is suspected of hiding from police after the slaying, is jailed on $3 million bail. His trial is set for Nov. 4.
The Associated Press does not generally identify minors accused of a crime but is naming the teens because of the severity of the charges.
Related: Second teen in court for veteran beating death
Related: World War II veteran beaten to death in parking lot

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/wash-teens-plead-not-guilty-in-vet-beating-deathfatuous1

MARK TRAINA
FatuousCra@aol.com
www.marktraina.webs.com
NAAWP PRESIDENT, CEO and NATIONAL SPOKEPERSON
CANDIDATE for LOUISIANA GOVERNOR 2015

+1
-1
-1
Peter C posted on

What I find fascinating is that in article after article I have come across about this incident, Washington's race is never mentioned. Poor journalism or an inconvenient truth?

+1
-2
-1

Sad. Very sad

+1
0
-1
mnQZSn posted on

tramadol online generic name for tramadol - tramadol online with no prescription

+1
0
-1
tlwcOm posted on

buy xanax difference between xanax generic brand - xanax and 2 mg day

+1
0
-1
AlcEHf posted on

buy tramadol cheap tramadol 50mg get you high - effects of tramadol overdose

+1
0
-1
fOyadN posted on

buy xanax online xanax withdrawal 1 mg day - xanax high description

+1
0
-1
RWcmiF posted on

xanax online xanax 1 mg mylan - xanax withdrawal after a week

+1
0
-1
REsNqq posted on

order xanax online dava generic xanax - how to buy xanax online

+1
0
-1
DduNEx posted on

tramadol online tramadol dosage sizes - generic tramadol extended release

+1
0
-1
ecxQaz posted on

tramadol no prescription tramadol for opiate addiction - buy tramadol online overnight

+1
0
-1
YtXuEI posted on

visit this site xanax vicodin - all generic names xanax

+1
0
-1
jqxMvZ posted on

visit the website tramadol hcl 50 mg get high - order tramadol 50mg

+1
0
-1
MdhvHp posted on

buy xanax online xanax bars vs footballs - how long 2mg xanax last

+1
0
-1
nrfdeS posted on

tramadol online tramadol 50 mg hcl - can you buy tramadol in usa

+1
0
-1
MjSqYx posted on

xanax drug xanax and alcohol yahoo answers - generic xanax l441

+1
0
-1
jOOKrZ posted on

xanax online xanax 1mg what color - xanax withdrawal while pregnant

+1
0
-1
FOVMHq posted on

buy xanax online cheap no prescription buy xanax online consultation - xanax bar juice

+1
0
-1
wkQFjBTy posted on

buy tramadol 100mg tramadol vs percocet - tramadol dea schedule

+1
0
-1
oWdwCm posted on

+1
0
-1
WHanLVSr posted on

more information tramadol 93/58 - tramadol overdose dangerous

+1
0
-1
xiiXuU posted on

can you buy xanax online xanax dosage grasscity - xanax drug 5mg

+1
0
-1
piiIXU posted on

visit their website buy alprazolam argentina - buy xanax bars cheap

+1
0
-1
SQHVCR posted on

More about the author xanax alprazolam 0.5mg - buy xanax online cheapest

+1
0
-1
xSEemeUD posted on

tramadol cheap cheap tramadol pay us - can you buy tramadol over counter spain

+1
0
-1
Fubjxn posted on

xanax online xanax class of drug - taking 2mg xanax first time

+1
0
-1