William McGuire, Business '14, dies

William “Billy” McGuire, Business ’14, a student remembered for his athletic successes and interest in finance, died, Business School dean Glenn Hubbard announced Monday.

McGuire enrolled at Columbia in fall of 2012 and was a member of the Sports Business Association and active in the Columbia Student Investment Management Association, Hubbard said in an email.

“Billy was a terrific member of the Columbia community and his cluster,” Hubbard said. “He will undoubtedly be missed.”

McGuire earned an undergraduate degree in government from Franklin and Marshall College in 2007, where he was a member of the varsity baseball team. While there, he earned the “Team Rookie of the Year” award in 2004 and served as team captain in 2007.

McGuire also worked as an analyst at the BlackRock investment firm and as a corporate paralegal at law firm Simpson Thacher & Bartlett before attending Columbia.

“With an interest in financial services, particularly investment and portfolio management, he secured a summer internship at a major financial firm,” Hubbard said.

McGuire is survived by his parents, Bill and Denise, his siblings Jack, Molly, and Ryan, and his fiancee, Liz Masi. Dean of Students Nayla Bahri is available to help direct students to support resources.

McGuire’s death is the second this semester at the Business School. DeShaun Maria Harris, another student, died earlier this month.

Correction: Due to an editing error, the headline of an earlier version of this story gave McGuire's year as '13 instead of '14. Spectator regrets the error.

avantika.kumar@columbiaspectator.com | @avantikaku