News | West Harlem

In traditional Democratic stronghold Harlem, barrage of protesters greets Obama

Barack Obama, CC ’83, became the first sitting president to visit Harlem’s legendary Apollo Theater Thursday night. But in his second visit to Harlem since taking office, Obama was met by fierce protests.

The fundraising event was closed to press, but 125th Street was overflowing with supporters of the Occupy movement, members of political action committees, and local residents hoping to catch a glimpse of the president. Hundreds of people turned out, but the majority of them were there to protest—a potentially troubling sign for Obama, for whom Harlem should be a stronghold of support.

“I’m protesting Obama’s policies,” Gilbert Rosa said. “He’s just as crooked as anyone. They voted for him because he had pretty rhetoric. At the end of the day, you can have different players. But if you don’t change the game nothing is gonna happen.”

Obama carried 95 percent of the African-American vote in 2008, according to CNN exit polls. But the heavily black community which W. E. B. Du Bois and Hubert Harrison called home hardly seemed well-disposed to Obama Thursday night.

Laurie Wen, a Morningside Heights resident and activist for Healthcare For The 99%—an Occupy Wall Street working group—said that Obama’s visit felt like a stab in the back.

“I worked 14 to 16 hours a day, seven days a week, for several months on Obama’s campaign,” Wen said. “I never thought he was a messiah, but he has really disappointed his supporters.”

Protesters broadcast their anger with signs and jeers, including Bob Nash, who came to protest from Cold Spring Harbor with a sign criticizing Obama for his relationship with Wall Street.

“Wall Street has been bailed out and the American people have been sold out because of Obama,” he said.

Others sang, “Obama is a Nazi.”

Passersby said they were angered by the protesters’ presence. One group of four encouraged protesters with signs to “use that shit for toilet paper.”

“They have a right to protest, but not to classify him as a Hitler,” Harlem resident Wesley Ward said. “He came in when the seat was hot. He ain’t kill nobody like Hitler did.”

Obama last came to Harlem in March for a $30,800-per-person dinner at the Red Rooster. Thursday night, for a sold-out fundraiser featuring the singers Al Green and India.Arie, tickets ranged from $100 to $25,000.

Some Harlem residents passing by the Apollo, who hadn’t known Obama was visiting, were taken aback by what they saw.

“I never saw protests in Harlem before,” resident Benjamin Carl said. “There weren’t protests when Bush was in office. Why now? Why in Harlem?”

Diane Sare, a Congressional candidate in New Jersey’s 5th District from the fringe LaRouche Democrats group, used the event to campaign against Obama. She insisted that his policies violate the Constitution.

“Sadly, Obama is the worst president we’ve ever had,” she said. “He bombed Libya without going through Congress, he signed NDAA [the National Defense Authorization Act] on New Year’s Eve when everyone was drunk, and he’s allowing U.S. citizens to be detained without a trial.”

A much smaller group welcomed Obama’s visit. Guy A. Surpris held up a sign thanking Obama for his actions following the earthquake in Haiti two years ago.

“I’m here because I want to thank the president for his help in Haiti following the earthquake. He provided help immediately and asked former President Bush to go help,” Surpris said. “On behalf of the Haitian people, and on behalf of those who passed away, I’m saying thank you.”

Harlem resident Gregory Gabson said it was “excellent” that Obama came to Harlem to campaign.

“Because he’s running, he needs to be in here letting people know he needs four more years,” Gabson said.

shayna.orens@columbiaspectator.com

Don't be so silly and sensational! The presence of white non-resident dedicated shit-disturbers at a strategic Harlem location says nothing about the sentiments of neighborhood residents. They came there from elsewhere with axes to grind.

+1
-6
-1

Some how if you are white you could'nt possibly be from Harlem? Isn't that kinda reverse racism? 

+1
+3
-1
Joe posted on

you forget yourself... it's only racism if the offender is white

+1
+1
-1

Poor little teabagger, suffered from so much from reverse racism. Like what? 

+1
-2
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Let's see...there are blacks who go out and assault and kill whites because they're white.  There are black groups who try to make it law that an employer has to give them a job or promotion over whites.  There are blacks that scream racism and a lawyer will jump to their aide and sue someone for everything they have.  Oh, and there are now hate crime laws that only protect you provided you aren't a white christian heterosexual.  Oh, and then the educational system teaches kids that whites are the only and most evil people in history, while nothing said about the Barbary Africa pirates who kidnapped a million whites during the 1600s, nothing said about the muslims invasions of Europe during the Middle Ages, nothing about the current genocide in Zimbabwe against white farmers, etc. 

+1
-2
-1

Heavenawaits, and excellent piece you wrote here. You hit it right on the head. American blacks are the biggest Racists in the U.S. They hate whites, although they swamp 'give me' rolls, 'entitlements' they call it.
The Civil War ended over 150 years ago, they sere set free. Get a Job.

+1
-4
-1

Whites have killed blacks based on their race throughout this country's history in large numbers. Actually, they continue to do so today, only now it's mostly through the criminal justice system. Sure, the reverse has happened, but does it happen all the time, is it some sort of epidemic, on par with lynchings, cop shootings and other forms of state-sponsored murder of blacks? Is being killed by a racist black person a real concern for white people? NO. And if it is, you may well be clinically paranoid.

Which educational system teaches kids that whites are the most evil people in history? Give some proof/citations and stop talking out of your ass. As for the genocide in Zimbabwe against white farmers, look up the definition of genocide and rethink your sentence. News flash--it's not just whites in Zimbabwe who are being singled out for persecution.  As for the rest one can go through and refute every 'point' you've made, but shooting ducks in a barrel is kind of boring. 

+1
-1
-1

"Whites have killed blacks based on their race throughout this country's history in large numbers. Actually, they continue to do so today, only now it's mostly through the criminal justice system"

The reason there is a disproportionate number of blacks killed by the justice system ie.(the law) is because there is a larger proportion of blacks percentage wise to the white population who are doing the crimes..if they quit doing the crimes, they won't have to serve the time....or worse yet get killed....

+1
+3
-1

Indeed, in Harlem are people of many complexions and persuasions. However, I think that you should consider that in the usually coded language shorthand of Journalese, "Harlem" means "for decades,  America's most famous traditionally Black enclave". In Harlem you will encounter an extremely high percentage of Black people, and I observe none of them in the photos with this story. In the current climate of widespread anti-establishment street protest style activism, it's perhaps naive to overlook the possibility, even likelihood, of opportunists from wherever seizing the locale where there are bound to be cameras. If Obama came to Columbia to speak, such activists would appear behind the barricades...that wouldn't make it good reportage to indicate that the University community was rising in protest...it would be more correct to report (and headline) that there was a group protesting there.

+1
0
-1

Living in Harlem isn't the same as being from Harlem. Trying to make white people look like victims of racism over nonsense is just silly. Try again.

+1
-1
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

I also responded to this ignorant anti-whtie bigoted claim above to you.

+1
-1
-1
raddcivil posted on

i KNOW that this subject is above your pay grade .But that strategic location was a good thing.

+1
+3
-1

I agree that, in terms of strategy, the location was a"good thing". For "the cause". For Harlem?
Who can say? Like Gingrich's Palinesque media-sliming tirade last night was a "good thing". For Newt.
But, "above your pay grade"...wouldn't you come off stronger if you lost the condescending ad hominem tactic?

+1
-2
-1
raddcivil posted on

CONDESCENDING.Why yes.Your "Newt"reaction says no pay upgrade for you.

+1
0
-1

Putting aside those Romantic nutcases who love Obama's personality (you'd think that they were married to him):

you know in the south around the time of slavery, those who were considered the worst slave drivers were actually the African Americans who were favored by the white elite. Actually as, is the case in most ideologies today, those who have no say in politics (not in terms of position, but in terms of an influence due to the effect that your way of thinking plays) are the ones who worship present standing politicians.

Just like Obama, in saying:

“They are,” said Obama, of the Queen and her spouse, “extraordinarily
gracious people.” She could not, he said, “have been more charming.” She
is,” he said, “the best of England.” “We are,” he said, “very proud of
her.”

He too is a slave to an old way of thinking: The idea of an Oligarchical Class. Some of you will probably say, "they're will always be an elite class" but then again it's the treatment of human beings, as human beings is what matters. Obama's "Policies" and even his "words"; what is expressed by those two things in their effect represent the way of thinking and ideology of the British System. The system which created and funded Fascism. This is the mentality that says you are an animal before slaughtering you like one.
If you find yourself in a position in which you think you are an animal; if that comes across as a sense perception, imposed upon you by yourself or others and you accept it, why, then, you are already dead.

Did anyone know Obama is enslaving his own people?

+1
-3
-1

Let me guess: You're from the La Rouche movement, aren't you? I know you mean well, but you need to get realistic. The so called British Empire is no longer relevant. You're barking at the wrong tree.

+1
+1
-1

I didn't say the British Empire as some ancient bygone relic of the past...I said the British System, that system which today operates on the same economic and social axioms which were used by that empire that you emphasize...is in the PAST.

"Your barking at the wrong tree" ....
um I am not barking like some lowly dog whose not getting his bone from his master...

if you don't heed the warnings that our founding fathers of this nation laid out for us and continually fought for throughout our history...you will perish.

for example Ben Franklin:

"a republic, if you can keep it"

do you Mr. Butt want to keep kissing it, being nice to those who control your political views, or do you want to ensure that we don't lose our nation to internal sociological fascism? You do sound like an Obedient puppy.

"I know you mean well" or is it really "look you gotta keep your mouth shut..people don't like the tone of your voice...you need to speak with affection...you need to fornicate real nicely with people"

+1
-2
-1

Keep your rhetoric if you wish. It's your own funeral. Just watch where LaRouche has got after all these years... Comparing Obama with Hitler will take you nowhere.

+1
+1
-1

Whose out to kill me?? And when you say comparing Obama with Hitler it makes me think you know nothing about Obama while at the same time being as I eluded to before, a mere whim of popular opinion.

Do you have your own Identity?

Oh yeah and I never said Obama was Hitler, but if your so fixated on that comparison, tell me what policies Obama has passed during his administration, that would give someone the idea of comparing him with Hitler?

I'm waiting.

+1
0
-1
Miranda posted on

*smicker*....so wait...you really think those few protestors represent even a smidgen of actual Harlem residents?

+1
+2
-1

I think one says it above that said when she worked in his 2008 campaign that she never thought he was a  Messiah  but really feels disappointed. WELL sounds to me like she was expecting a  Messiah  and Miracles.   The residents of Harlem were surprised to see protesters whom I noticed were white on the pic above. HMMM. Dare I say "bussed in".

+1
+2
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Oh and blacks aren't bussed in to white-dominated universities to be hostile and throw temper tantrums at white conservatives and black conservatives who go there to speak?  Happens too.

+1
-2
-1
Noon Yi posted on

I know right, they called him  a Nazi? of course real harlemites would never use that term especially with the orthodox Jewish neighbors, its offensive to everyone; Where did these nut cases crawl out from?

+1
0
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Oh, but it's ok to constantly call conservatives nazis?  Liberals are such hypocrites.

+1
+2
-1

The La Rouche movement have made it their trademark to compare Obama with Hitler. I'm sure we'll see more of this from them. Yes, it's clear it didn't come from Harlem residents.

+1
-2
-1

+1
-3
-1

History will show that President Obama is one of the greatest President ever. Some people seem to forget  that when President Obama took office we were a nation going down in flames. Lack of enforcement of regulation in the banking industry massive tax cuts. Given the circumstance he has brought us back from the brink. People need to be reminded that he has only been in office for three years, not a long time and has had to fight for everything he has accomplished.  We as a nation need to quite simply understand that if we want a strong miitary, heath care for all, revive  and rebuild or infrastructure that we have to as a society pay for it. Figure out what it cost and tax all of us accordingly to pay and support it. The best out come will be to let the Bush tax cuts expire for all and the upcoming across the board cuts take effect. Be cause of this if we do nothing the budget will right itself.

+1
-1
-1
Joe posted on

greatest ever?  wow, must be some damn good crack...
*YOU* seem to forget that the country was "going down in flames" because of the previous two years of DEMOCRAT controlled congress (2006-2008).  Presidents do not make laws, the house & senate do.  the regulation issues you bring up?  squarely on the shoulders of harry reid and nancy pelosi.

how about the bp oil spill, did you forget that it was the jackass-obama's administration that approved the operation and then did not enforce the regulations, leading up to the worst environmental disaster in history?

and then you have the nerve to effectively say, "raise everyone's taxes" and i respond, are you stupid or something?  personally, i am sick to damn death of paying taxes to support jackass-obama's policy of rewarding bad behavior.  health care for all?  are you so blind that you can not see how insurance premiums have skyrocketted since that morons ill-conceived socialist health care monstrosity was passed?

i am sad to say that it is exactly that kind of myopic denial that has eroded this once great nation...

+1
0
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

As they say, Liberalism is a mental disorder, LOL

+1
+2
-1

you are accurate enough, tell the rest of the bad stuff. you got a few years handy?

+1
0
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

People worshipping Obama in 2012 would be as crazy as Germans worshipping Hitler after WWII.  Why would you worship a man who has tanked your country and brought misery to many people?

+1
0
-1
honorary posted on

We all knew that Hitler was a bad person but you can't compare Odumbo to Hitler because it is down-grade Hitler.  How bad Hitler was, at least, he done somethings which he think it was best for Germany and he,,,,at least was a patriotic unlike Odumbo who tried everything to destroy our great country.

+1
-1
-1

Lt5zr1vette:  Are you insane, or just stupid?

+1
+3
-1
honorary posted on

Both.."Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed." 

+1
0
-1

Brought us back from the brink?......what have you been smokin'?....the idiot has driven us off the cliff!....Instead of trying to re-write history like the typical commie liberal....stop and think when the nation's problems started.....right after the '06 elections when your buddies in congress and the senate were the majority......prior to that the unemployment rate was 4.5% (because of the tax cuts)....your nose and obummer's arse are a perfect fit.....always blame everyone else for your incompetance!

+1
+1
-1
holdyourhorses posted on

Wow!  How much for whatever it is you're drinking that makes you think that Barrack Hussein Obama's spending spree in just three years of his administration, more spending than George W. and all Presidents combined since George Washington, has/is helping our country.  Hey, let's give him another 4 years, to completely "fundamentally change" our country ... why not!    

+1
-1
-1

those pics only show white people who look like they travelled uptown to protest, why no pics of black people?

+1
-1
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Why is it that whites have to include blacks in every single aspect of our lives?  Really, when does the whining stop?  "There's not enough blacks that swim!"  "There's not enough blacks in the computer industry!"  Waahhhhhh!  Yet, nobody complains that the rap industry is mostly black or sports players are mostly blacks.  I guess blacks and other nonwhites get ahead because of skill and smarts, meanwhile whites get ahead because we're racist.  Yeah, make real sense.

+1
+1
-1
Debra posted on

When Obama is compared to Hitler, it is not about "murder" of people.  It's about the ideology of both men and how they are the same.  They both want to "CONTROL" the government, the people, etc. Take away our freedom, be a socialist country where the government tells you what to do. RESEARCH how Hitler manipulated the German people.  The people that voted for Obama should feel cheated.  He began to "divide and conquer" his first 100 days in office.   If we have him another four years, it will only get worse.   The  Keystone project would have brought needed jobs as well as oil from a friendly county.   Can you afford $4 a gallon for gas?   Obama is not the man for the job as President, he needs to go.

+1
0
-1

This comment makes me sick... You actually say that the ideology of Hitler and Obama are the same... Shame on you. Please read a book or two and grow up. 

+1
-2
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

I don't like the comparisons either, then again, I recall people hating on Bush and calling him a Nazi many times.  But really, why just Hitler?  Why not Mao or Stalin or Hussein or Pol Pot?  Is it because those men were no white and/or didn't do their killings under the guise of white supremacy? 

+1
+3
-1

Evidently she HAS read a book or two..(unlike yourself)...and can see the similarities....but he is more like Karl Marx than Hitler.....but then again....neither of them had to depend on a teleprompter

+1
-1
-1

Right on!! With the Keystone Project,our gas and heating fuels may have decreased to around, or below, $2 a gallon! This will never happen as long as O is in office and continues kissing the a$$es of the islamic world.

+1
0
-1
Admiral_Komack posted on

The stupid is strong with this one.
Vote for Willard or Leroy...or are you a Ron (Rascist) Paul fan?

+1
+2
-1

Please explain how the ideology of Hitler and Obama are the same and how to separate Hitler's ideology from his genocidal thinking. Also explain exactly how Obama has taken away our "freedom." Freedom to do what, exactly?  As for Keystone, when even Fox News agrees it is bad for the country  -- would not have reduced foreign oil dependency, overstated number of jobs, would have driven up domestic oil prices, little problem of global warming -- then you're really just off in the wilderness on your lonesome. Unless you work for a Canadian oil company.

Curious to know who you think would be a better president -- Ron Paul? LaRouche? 

+1
-7
-1

Hitler killed Jews. Obama loves Jews

+1
-3
-1

what are you smoking? Obama loves so many muslims, even bows to them, who want to destroy Isreal. Iranians protest; nothing was done or said to help them; but, so much was done to 'change' Egypt, our ally. or was our ally. hold on tight, its coming soon

+1
-1
-1

Why  is he telling the jews to go back to before the 1967 war with Palestine?  He is a Jew hater. 

+1
0
-1

Why ask who would be a better president, are you not qualified yourself to be president? Do you have the guts to even just put on such a responsibility, let alone stand up against the enemies of the United States?

+1
0
-1
vietvetagstjkerry_1 posted on

Actually I think that Ron Paul is a Racist, Bigoted fool, Lyndon LaRouche is just a plain fool.  Had the Main Stream Media not attacked and did their best to destory Herman Cain via some rather dubious accusations of Sexual Harrassment he was my choice for the job of President.  Oh yes incidently Barack H. Obama is not "Black" he is half white, his mother Stanley Ann Dunham was a White Woman, so do not use the Racist accusation with me it will not work.

+1
+1
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

I agree, though I think this Hitler analogy is used to much, both at republicans and democrats.  Why not compare him to Stalin? He murdered 20 million people.  Why not compare him to Mao of China who murdered 20 million over his 40-year reign of China?  While Hitler was obviously a sick man and a monster, there are people that killed far more than him.  I'm of Jewish ancestry, so I hardly think I'm being biased.

+1
+2
-1
vietvetagstjkerry_1 posted on

Pol Pot killed 2.5 Million, and Ho Chi Minh murdered between North and South Viet Nam over 3.8 million.

+1
0
-1
Debra posted on

Obama is not the greatest President and will never be.

+1
+1
-1

To those who can't recognize greatness when it's in front of them, probably not. 

+1
+4
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Yes, there is so much greatness that has come since Obama has been in office!  More people are out of work, the Fast and Furios gun-running debacle, the expensive vacations he takes on our dime, appointing an anti-white bigot like Eric Holder, we have more racial attacks that are black on white lately, etc.  Yep, lots of good things have come since he's been in office for sure.  I'm being sarcastic in case it wasn't obvious to you.

+1
+2
-1

4 more.years of this asshat! Are you people that dense? I'll keep my hard earned money, you can
have the change! Somehow $25,000 dinners are an accurate representation of Harlem residents?!
WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

+1
+1
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

You don't like Obama or socialism? Why....'you're a racist, bigoted, white male, nazi, homophobe, xenophone, anti-fat, anti-handicapped, anti-midget, anti-immigrant, anti-abortion, blah blah blah blah"

+1
0
-1

Hope and Change. I used to have some folding money; now, I hope for some pocket change.

+1
-4
-1
Josh Lawrence posted on

This is not the Harlem I know. It's much more sophisticated.

+1
-3
-1

The author, Shayna Orens, of this should be ashamed.  It is clear that those "protesters" are there strictly out of anger as part of the OWS movement or simply bussed in.  Have you been to Harlem Shayna? is that sentiment, or even that picture, truly representative of the neighborhood?  No, it is not...I know I live here.  Its "sensationalism" journalism like this that makes too big a deal out of things such as this.  Focus on the positives and do your homework.

+1
+3
-1
Joe posted on

what is positive about that rat-bastard being our dictator-in-chief?

+1
+5
-1

dictator-in-chief.... impossible to reason with this type of delusion thinking. 

+1
0
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

Yeah, I feel the same way about you.  You're a loser and the reason why this country sucks.

+1
-2
-1

Ask NoMitts how many paychecks he hands OUT.   A poor man never offered me a job.

+1
+3
-1

Ok....how about "half breed Marxist dictator"?....is that better?

+1
0
-1

She's just reporting what happened. I found it clear in what she wrote that Harlem residents were astonished by the protest.

+1
+1
-1
SELLERS posted on

I agree with the protesters grievances about Obama's inaction on abusive banks, insurance companies etc. But calling him 'Hitler' seriously, that's when u loose me. I cannot stand it when people glorify the Holocaust and Slavery to make a lazy point. 

+1
+3
-1
Heavenawaits posted on

I'm more tired of the Hitler comparisions, because it seems like another way to rip on white people since hitler was white and did his killings for racial/ethnic reasons.  Why not compared someone to Mao or Stalin or Pol Pot or Idi Amin, etc?  It's stupid to compare him to a dictator, perhaps, but I'm tired of the Hitler analogy.  It's so overused by both sides.  Bush got called a nazi just as people are calling Obama a Nazi.  I don't like many things Obama's done either.

+1
-1
-1

Yeah, but their style is very similiar. If you adjust for the times...it's eerie.

+1
-1
-1

@ Lt5zr1vette So if the banks were not following the rules, why did we bail them out?? Massive tax cuts?? We  didn't even have income tax until 1913. Now every dollar of personal income tax equals our annual deficit. (Which combined with interest, for the decade+ equals the national debt, which is now over 100% of our GDP) You want taxes raised? Do you know who gets the interest on the national debt. The federal reserve, who in spite of there catchy name, have absolutely no ties to the federal government. They are not audited, and nobody knows who they are! Yet "they" get about 5% of our budget each year. For what??

+1
+1
-1
Sue Barnhart posted on

The facts are this president took office in the midst of the economy in collapse. The facts are when he took office we were bleeding jobs losing 800,000 per month GDP was -9% that is NEGATIVE NINE. (MORE than double the recession of the 80s) The financial system was collapsing in a way we haven't seen since the great depression. The average household had just lost $100,000 in wealth in housing collapse in fall of 2008 & this in an economy that is 70% driven by consumer spending which was driven by easy credit based on rising home values. Warren Buffet described it as a giant on/OFF switching off in the economy. As President Obama took the oath of office the national debt was already $10.6 Trillion & we were in 2 wars. NO PRESIDENT EVER has faced this big of a mess
Considering this I think he has done an AMAZINGLY good job.
In his 1st 6 months he put in place a giant stimulus program that almost all economists agree helped stop the fall & saved many many jobs I don't think there are any economists who believe it didn't help many think it wasn't big enough to fill the $10 Trillion hole. He saved the American auto industry & 100's of 1000's of good jobs associated w it. AND its now making profits for the 1st time in years. Secr. TReasury Tim Geithner w stress tests & capital requirements has managed TARP so well that the banking system stabilized & that money has been paid back w interest & it even made us money, something NO ONE expected could happen back in 2008. We actually made a $10 billion profit on TARP. We loaned $245 billion & received back $255 billion. Now that's just plain good management. Oh and for the 1st time in 62 years the US is a net EXPORTER of petroleum products. (Wallstreet journal article just the other day) The housing market and construction remain crippled but when we'd been over building by millions of houses for 10 years their just is no easy fix to that. People are deleveraging, the attorney generals are working thru the evidence. But housing values had to fall. Long run that will help people. It will just will take time.
The democrats and Obama put in place a Wallstreet reform package that reregulated the big banks & for the 1st time ever will protect consumers from NONbank entities like mortgage originators, payday loans, debt collecting agencies & the other shadow banking industry. I STRONGLY support this. Our current economic mess was caused mainly by these unregulated non-bank mortgage lenders.
To top this all off this President, even knowing it would be a tough stand in this economic mess after doing what he thought was needed to stabilize the economy still had the guts to tackle HC reform and put in place Obamacares which FOR THE 1st time EVER provides a safety net for people like me who have worked our entire lives & paid insurance premiums!! I LOVE OBAMACARES!!!
So, I'll be voting alright & sending whatever I can in $$ & going door to door for this President.
OBAMA2012!!!

+1
-1
-1
beverlee posted on

The fact is, he said, if he can't fix it in four years he wouldn't run. Honesty is not his strong suit now is it?

I guess we have to vote him in again BEFORE we see what he'll do for us.

He is way to devisive for me. I'd rather not vote.

+1
-1
-1
The Blue Collar Man posted on

O M G ! Talk about blind faith by the uneducated. Just a few points for you to research.
The banks were forced by Goverment to lend money to people who had no way to pay for houses. That's common knowledge which you must not know.
BTW, HC is a dead issue, and hopefully STill can be totally repealed.
Poison obumbler is responsible for spending more money than ANY (P) president, plus several more, and growing our dept to more than 100% of GDP.
Your demonrats controlled everything the last 2 years Bush was in office. Bush had 4.7% unemployment, and now we have new rules to figure unemployment, which is quoted as 8.7%, but really is 2 times that .

+1
0
-1

God help you and us if he has 4 more years of destruction of this country!!!!

+1
0
-1

Pure b.s..

+1
-1
-1
Dennis posted on

So tell me why Soros, Obama's money man is in cahoots with the federal reserve, the world bank and the international monetary fund????   It does not matter who is in office it is the same people at the top.  Soros is just using Obama to spin up the minorities to keep the people divided and forment contention with all the people.  The further we go into debt the more control they have over us.  We are all slaves to the international banking systems. 

Soros himself has said his goal is undermining our currency.  He has done thus before and if you think he has some noble premise behind his actions look into the countries he has ruined.  They are stealing your labor through the inflationary money system.  That means we are both equally slaves to this white man.   Every penny we borrow on the future is another chain on the next newborn-black, white, yellow or red-it makes no difference.

The institute of modern slavery is the banking cartel.  It is the greed and the desire to control that is the enemy of freedom not our racial distinctions.   Do you think that the African tribes who enslaved they racial equivalent neighbors gave one wit about their lives????    Or how about the Muslim traders that were facilitating the trade with those folks????   And don't take my word look it all up with Google or any other search engine.  This was going on before this country was a nation and before white people were on this continent.  Muslims kept slaves as late as the 50's and there is till slavery being practiced in African countries today.

The truth is that from the time we were formed into a nation, about 1790, there was a lapse of only 75 years until the civil war that ended slavery in this country.  Yes the discrimination continued.  Old errors learned have died a long and painful death but it is no less an error to continue believing that all white people are the cause and reason that slavery existed in the first place.

These "Elite" class induviduals are counting on everyone's continued and dogged hate so they can use it to control and manipulate and to continue to develope their system of feudalism.   They do not care what happens to you or I they want to be in control.  They will use Obama, Rpmney or anyother willing shill to progress their agenda.   This socialism thing has never worked.   It has only succeeded in creating an elite class to rule the rest of the population.  You notice I said rule, not govern. 

If this is what you want for you and your children then so be it.   But do not for one minute that you may demand that I and my children submit to that yoke.  The mandate of Republic is required by the language in Artcile IV Section 4 of the Constitution.  It means that we all have fundamental liberties that no one may circumvent, not the Bushs of the world nor the Obamas.   It has never been revoked by an amendment, which is the only lawful way to change it.  We are  not a socialist system nor even a democracy where sheer numbers of voters have the right to take away my fundamental rights.  It has been thought by many that a Republic means a return to the old system of money and political interests-and so you and I have been told by all these political theorists and political idealogues.  That is not the case.   And everyone who holds a office of trust in government who intends to subvert the authority they hold office under are enemies of the Constitution and every person, of any color, they claim to represent.   They represent only their own egos and would ruin is all to have it their way.  These are the true enemy of all the people, our country and liars and thieves themselves.  

So do as you will with yourselves but do not think for one instance that you are making a choice for me.  If that is the way you cast your vote then it is not a sign of your understanding, it is a sign of you ignorance.

+1
-1
-1
Breezeyguy posted on

No, Obamo took a soft economy and totally deflated it.

+1
+5
-1

Hitler was legally appointed, Obama was legally elected. Hitler had his Enabling Act. Obama got carte blanche to destroy the government of Libya, to be compared with Hitler's takeover of Czechoslovakia. Hitler engaged in assassination, Obama used drones to exra-judicially murder more than one American citizen, and connived, at least, in the murder of Ghaddafi. Now Obama signed into law a bill which could allow him to detain American citizens indefinitely without trial under the guise of anti-terrorism. The parallels continue, but who needs to belabor the point with smartasses who are "offended" by comparing Obama to Hitler. It's called denial. It's also a dangerous stupidity. Look for Obama's next move, to incite a war over Iran, which could only escalate into thermonuclear WW III. Obama is worse than Hitler by a long shot because the stakes today are even higher, and the his intention, to reduce world population through shorting energy, war, and famine, is even more evil. 

+1
+2
-1

"Obama is worse than Hitler than a long shot" -- someone is just completely off their meds.  

+1
0
-1
oldestof15 posted on

Hitler was NOT legally appointed, the British put him into power. When his "flow of money," was running out, Prescott Bush, Bush Jr.'s grandfather, who worked for Harriman Bros. on Wall Street, sent Hitler, 20,000 dollars, so he would get into power. How about, EVERYONE, read their History! The entire Bush family, are a bunch of Fascists. Someone also stated, "Look how quickly Obama responded to Haiti." He hasn't given Haiti one dime, or lifted a finger, to help Haiti. That, my friend, is one, big, fat, LIE! That's all he's DONE, is LIE! Obama is a lunatic, and We cannot have a lunatic, as the President of the United States. He's like the Scarecrow, in "The Wizard of Oz," "If I only had a brain?" The Queen of England got Obama into the Office of the Presidency. He's her "puppet," and she pulls his strings. So, We basically have a foreign occupier in OUR White House. That folks, is TREASON. Giving aid and comfort to a Foreign Nation, like Our Tax Money, yep, that's Treason. He also insisted, that provision in the NDAA, where any U.S. citizen, can be picked up, for ANY reason, and not have any "Due Process" and can even be sent to another Country, where they can be tortured, killed, or just rot there, for the rest of their life! What's next? Death Camp's? Obama is the 21st Century, Adolph Hitler. You better believe he is! Obama is doing things Hitler never dreamed of doing. This is the United States of America, and Obama has just about torn up, the entire constitution, and the Bill of Rights. We have to get him OUT, NOW, while We still can. He's a danger to society. Now, he has fired, 253 Agriculture Agencies. That means, our food is not going to be checked for diseases, quality control, or anything, for that matter. We're beginning to look more like Africa, than Africa does! Bottom line, Obama is looking to kill Us. I put Hitler's Tiergarden4 side by side, to Obama's healthcare bill, they are Identical. Wake UP, America, WAKE UP!! I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not, but, there are Two "Patriot Act's." The second one is more extreme, than the first. Take a wild guess, which one Obama chose? If you said the second one, you win the $64,000 answer! Iran has now stated, that the United States should be considered a Terrorist Country. Why? Because Obama ordered the murdering of those Scientist's in Iran. None of you, have a clue what this president, is capable of. The most obscene of all, Obama now enjoys murdering people. It's like some kind of sport to him, now. He murders, because he thinks he can. This is a law-less president, and We better get him out, while We still can!! We have nothing but COWARDS, in both Houses, so it's going to have to be up to Us, the Citizens. Now I'm NOT suggesting We kill him, We need to get him out, by constitutional means, either by the 4th section of the 25th Amendment, Impeachment, or both. Whoever said, "You don't recognize Genius, when you see it?" Is a complete IDIOT! This president is, per order of Queen Elizabeth ll, looking to start a thermonuclear war, not with Iran and Syria, another fat lie he's telling Us, but with Our Allies, (And they ARE Our Allies) Russia, China, Japan, India, and Korea. Why? Because their economies are doing much better than, the Trans-Atlantic side. The Queen and the whole Imperial Monarchy,(Who are the Enemy of all mankind) cannot have themselves go bankrupt, while the Asian and Eurasian Countries are doing well. The British Imperial Monarchy has and intends to keep controlling the World. They also believe in population control, keep the "cattle" low, and stupid, so they will do what they are told. Well that is NOT how things work, here in America! We fought a Revolutionary War, and drafted a Constitution, the World has, or will ever see! And they are NOT taking Us over, by the likes of Obama, NOW! That is why it is so important, We get Glass-Steagall passed in Both Houses, the exact copy of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Glass-Steagall legislation, reinstated in both Houses, RIGHT NOW!! Why? Because as of now, the United States is completely and hopelessly, BANKRUPT. If, you believe anything else, you are a FOOL!

+1
-1
-1

More LaRouche gibberish! Again: I know you mean well, but you're barking at the wrong tree. You mix valid points with nonsense, and this only drives people away from your cause. You're vociferous, but you're own retoric makes you irrelevant to the general discussion. As you can see here, nobody takes you seriously.

+1
+2
-1
raddcivil posted on

Your words have iron in them.POTUS/Both Houses know there history and will work to keep
                us at war with one another at home .

+1
0
-1
Breezeyguy posted on

Hitler came to power legally... Obama not so much.  Yes he's a citizen, but not a natural born citizen and hence not legally president.  (Ironically, in another parallel, Hitler was Austrian, not German.)

+1
-1
-1

Funny how there was no OWS protest a couple of nights ago when Mittens was in town fundraising in with hedge funders on Park Ave, in David Koch's building no less. Yet they have the nerve to show up to attack Obama with rhetoric indistinguishable from the more rabid elements of Tea Party... If the point was to alienate Harlemites and make OWS look like a bunch of irrelevant, out of touch loons, good job. If Obama is such a tool of the banks, worst president ever, etc., etc. maybe Mittens or Newt will work out better for you since they're all the same. Kick rocks, asshats!

+1
+2
-1
holdyourhorses posted on

I'm going to bet if you're not an Obamanation fan, you're a Ron "looney tunes" Paul supporter.  Aaaaah, maybe your marijuana and/or prostitute habit will be legalized in 2016, that's if Ron makes it until then.  Maybe Rand will help you out, though.  Of course, Rand is destroying his political career by supporting his extremist father.  I almost feel sorry for him, but he does have a voice, and could say "no dad, you're done". 

+1
-2
-1
Breezeyguy posted on

News for you:  Mitt isn't president.

+1
0
-1

Exactly. As much as everyone seems to hate Obama, do you really feel Mitt or Newt would be better for the working Joe Harlemite???

+1
-3
-1
beverlee posted on

Yes.

+1
+1
-1

Ron Paul 2012! He would fix everything that Obama is doing wrong.

+1
+2
-1

"everything that Obama is doing wrong" -- presumably, like being sane? 

+1
+2
-1

Ron Paul is leading in the polls after the debate, but all the controlled talking heads are pretending he doesn't exist.

What does that tell you?  He must be good for the country and they are planning on stealing this elections.  Even Noam Chomsky has helped manufacture consent on this issue.  Demand a open hand count, counted and posted at the precinct level.  A Democracy requires a fair vote count!

+1
+1
-1
holdyourhorses posted on

LOL!!! Are YOU kidding me?  You're in La La Land!!!  Ron Paul is not only waaaaay too old to be elected, he's a fruit cake anarchist, liberal!!  Keep smok'in that KooAid, and just maybe your dream of legalized CRACK will come true ... LOL!!!

+1
+2
-1
Breezeyguy posted on

Fact is, ANYBODY would be better than Obama.  But it's also true that not anybody can undo the damage he has done.

+1
-4
-1

Go Obama CC' 83 !

+1
0
-1
macwhirr posted on

This president ought not be judged by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.

+1
0
-1
holdyourhorses posted on

Are you kidding me?

+1
-2
-1
Breezeyguy posted on

His skin's ok.  His character absolutely sucks.  He is the first president to do away with conscience protection.  He truly is Hitler.

+1
0
-1

Obviously, No He Can't! The question is whether the Republicans would do any better

+1
-1
-1

Correct. His character was established by Alan  Gottleib  (look him up ). Obama  and Bush work for the same guy and that guy is not from Harlem or Idaho . Choose your pimp. Black or white , a whore is still   a whore.  They both run the same game and sell the same hustle . "  Come on Baby , get on out on the street and turn those tricks . It's you and me baby. I'm the one who really loves you . Bring me the money . You know it's not for me . It's for "US," baby . You know someday when this is all over we can go away someplace , just you and me . Daddy LOVES you . Now get on out there and bring me the money . You know I only want it so I can save you from the BAD guys . An when you get back , I'll give you enough for a burger and some dope and that's not because I want to keep you humping   , It's because I love you .  Now get out there. An DON"T make me hurt you. Cause you know that if you got a problem with that, I will throw your sorry ass in jail cause me an the law got this shit all worked out . 

+1
0
-1

Correction  for the above post --- that would be Sidney Gottleib  not Alan Gottleib . Sorry about that .

+1
+1
-1
Howie G posted on

I was out protesting last night.  I was surprised how little organized support there is for Obama.  There were the people protesting ,and the "beautiful people paying from $100 to thousands of dollars to see the Hypocrite in Chief.

+1
0
-1
Doug Levy posted on

The reporter who did this story should have asked a lot more questions and done more research. Although I am sure that some of the people who protested Mr. Obama had legitimate complaints, the ones with the "Nazi" signs are quite likely aligned with a specific extremist group with a long history of making unsupported claims against just about every president in recent decades. I wish this story had focused more on those with substantive complaints, not just the sensationalist signs and claims. Also, there were way more people supporting the president Thursday night on 125th Street than there were protesters.

+1
-2
-1

Ah, Doug...that sort of mild, reasoned reaction, free as it is from the cant and rant of the Left and Right extremes, probably has no place in this sort of "forum". But I agree with you...and the writer of the story may have had no say in the headline, which is where the item is most skewed. And lots of folks only read the headline and the lead paragraph. Sensationalistic decontextualizing journalism seems to be a growing trend. It grabs the attention.

+1
-1
-1

The revolution consumes its own.

+1
+1
-1

Ron Paul 2012!!!

+1
+2
-1
LL1885 posted on

Once again we see the Left derail a legitimate criticism of Obama by playing the race card in the comments here. The protesters were not holding signs that said Black Man Go Home, they were protesting what he has done to the economy & his hypocrisy.
Try and stay on track, if you can.

+1
+4
-1

I go to Harlem sometimes to visit friends. I live in the Bronx and was raised on Staten Island. I don't know about much, but I would like to say the President should have gone to Sylvia's not Red Rooster. Sylvia's is way better, less $$, great sweet tea, friendly staff and did I mention the chicken and waffles? Oh my God. Amazing.

Comparisons to hitler is stupid, but there's always been protestors doing that to every president we've had. Just ignore them.

However, Capitol Hill's silence over the NDAA is scarier than the lack of coverage by CNN. All Americans should be worried about this. Just like there is still sunlight during twilight, the night will come. We now live in the twilight era of America. Someday our freedoms will all be lost and we'll all realize it when it is too late.

+1
+2
-1
sknyjohn posted on

As regards the Harlem resident's fraudulent, dishonest, & disingenuous claim that  “I never saw protests in Harlem before,”  “There weren’t protests when Bush was in office. Why now? Why in Harlem?,” where was this Harlem resident on Dec. 14, 2002, while the bush regime was illegally occupying the white house, when the largest anti-war demo (organized by residents of Washington Hts. & Harlem) in a Community Of Color in NYC since the Vietnam war occurred in both Harlem & Washington Hts. that ended with a rally at the State Office Bldg. on 125th St., which numbered 1000 participants (2.5 times larger than the attendance at the protest outside the Obama Apollo Theater fundraiser) & featured speakers that included revolutionary anti-imperialist activist Rosa Clemente, who both spoke that day against the then-current & soon-to-occur war crimes of the bush regime's intent to re-escalate the Iraq war, & then, in 2008, ran for u.s. vice-president on the Green Party line against the destructive records & candidacies of both Obama AND mccain? This demo wasn't specifically about singling out democrats or republicans or Obama or bush or any republican running for president in 2008, it's about destructive policy, which includes Obama's record, policies, & positions as well as those of republicans & other democrats. 

+1
+2
-1
sknyjohn posted on

& the 2002 protest, against bush's wars, in Harlem, was organized by some of the same people who organized Jan. 19th's protest against Obama's policies outside his fundraiser at the Apollo.

+1
-4
-1
sknyjohn posted on

The protest outside the Obama Apollo Theater fundraiser was called, organized, & endorsed by a number of groups, predominantly Occupy Harlem (which called & organized the demo) & Harlem Fightback, both groups started by & led by veteran African-Northamerican activists & long-time Harlem residents, &, in the case of Harlem Fightback, has been active in Harlem for decades, & the action was also called/endorsed by an African-Northamerican-led coalition known as the Black Is Back Coalition. The larouche operatives (they were the ones holding the 1 or 2 posters portraying Obama with a hitler mustache) were only there to hijack the action, displayed their disgusting sign or two long enough to get a photo of one of their signs into media coverage of the action & disrespect the Harlem community, but ended up either not staying very long or not displaying their sign very long, & it is not the fault of the action's organizers that the larouche operatives tried to hijack the action.

+1
+1
-1
sknyjohn posted on

"
What’s behind these attacks to discredit the January 19th protest by writing it off as an initiative of non-Harlemites? Such accusations are eerily reminiscent of attempts to discredit the 50s and 60s civil rights movement in the South as simply a product of "outside agitators." The inference that Occupy Harlem and protesting Blacks are misguided dupes of a white OWS smacks of racism! It suggests Blacks are incapable of critical thinking and analysis regarding Obama’s presidency.

Much more diabolical are attempts to suggest that protesting Lyndon LaRouche extremists were part of the Occupy Harlem protest. This is a blatant lie! NYPD herded all protesters into the same pen across the street from the Apollo Theater. In mic check after mic check the LaRouchites were denounced again and again, even derisively called out as “looney tunies!” In particular, the Occupy crowd took on the LaRouchites’ politically inept portrayal of Obama as Hitler. Occupy protesters physically separated themselves from the LaRouche group, a point conceded in Allison Kilkenny's In These Times report."

http://www.blackagendareport.c... 

+1
-1
-1
sknyjohn posted on

"One liberal blog with a history of supporting the Democratic Party selectively ran photos that only included white demonstrators. Apparently rendering people of color invisible and voiceless is okay as long as it looks good for the Democrats. What really seemed to be bothering the author of this account was a failure to grasp why protesters choose to target Obama instead of Mitt Romney. Is this really hard to understand? Occupy is not a branch of the Democratic Party and it is not an electioneering organization. By protesting Obama, we are not telling people who to vote for or against. Obama, in case these critics failed to notice, is still the President of the United States. Obama, not Romney, just eviscerated the most fundamental rights of US citizens by signing NDAA."
http://www.blackagendareport.c... 

+1
+2
-1
sknyjohn posted on

"
The demonstration was called by Occupy Harlem and lead by Occupy Harlem. Occupy Harlem, as many occupy movements across the country, was inspired by the resonating message of OWS for the 99% to challenge the US plutocracy in complete control of the US political process. We are an autonomous initiative of Harlem residents, initiated by and lead by people of color. We are deeply offended by Obama apologists who seek to belittle and denigrate the Occupy Harlem movement.  Whether Obama or Romney is elected president, we can be sure that the attacks on the poor and working people, on civil liberties and on global human rights will continue and so will our protests.  It is our right and responsibility to hold those in power accountable, not to serve as foot soldiers for the Democratic Party."

http://www.blackagendareport.c...

+1
+1
-1
Howie G posted on

the LarouchePac.com intervention was intense and easy to enjoy and relate to.  The other people, even those who disagreed with it, found themselves attracted to the LaRouchites and energized from them.  Like Platonists from Johannes Kepler to Edgar Allen Poe said, it is the harmony of the universe at work, it is "the music of the spheres."

+1
+3
-1
sknyjohn posted on

No, we protesters moved from the location across from the Apollo over to the corner where the State Office Bldg. was located in order to get away & separate from the larouche operatives & their disgusting signs, then moved back as the larouche operatives stopped displaying their signs.

+1
0
-1
sknyjohn posted on

"Obama’s operatives have
doggedly pressed for a settlement that would effectively give banks
immunity from prosecution. Instead, home owners would be “compensated”
from a paltry fund of no more than $25 billion – a drop in the bucket,
considering the trillions in housing values that disappeared into
illegally securitized air in the catastrophe, and much of the money
might not even come out of the bankers’ own accounts. Obama had hoped to
roll over the recalcitrant attorneys general in time to make the
settlement the centerpiece of his State of the Union."  http://www.blackagendareport.c...

+1
-1
-1