Photo by Tiffany May

“Tiny Dorm Concerts” is a recurring video segment of The Eye that features Barnard and Columbia-affiliated artists performing their music where they most often play it—the places they live. Artists also have the opportunity to talk about their music, backgrounds, and involvement on campus.

This week, Tiffany Poon, a junior pianist in the Columbia/Juilliard exchange, plays Liszt’s La Campanella and talks about her musical life in New York City. Look forward to learning a secret about Tiffany—which she admits everyone actually knows already—in this week’s issue.

The concept of the Tiny Dorm Concert, while on one hand an homage to NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concerts,” also touches on an issue on Columbia’s campus: There’s not much space—physical nor mental—for music on campus. It’s a claim I’ve made and heard, but it’s difficult to substantiate or explain. Maybe it’s because we’re in New York City—rent is high, so campus venues are scarce—or maybe it’s because we’re busy. We work hard, and the average student’s involvement with music gets pushed aside for later.

In any case, the space we have to play or listen to a song is indeed tiny. These artists are playing and listening anyway.

Have fun leafing through our tenth issue, and subscribe to our new weekly newsletter, As We See It!

Tiny Dorm Concert barnard-columbia-juilliard exchange The Eye video feature