Members of 4x4, Columbia’s newest literary magazine.

If you're on campus, there's a good chance that you're pretty well-read. You might even fancy yourself a writer. If that's true, there's a publication on campus that will likely want to read your work, whether it's a short story, a poem, a nonfiction essay, or something a little out of the box, see where people might be able to eventually read your work. 

The Columbia Review
The Columbia Review is the “oldest college literary magazine in the nation,” and doesn't focus on the work of any particular gender, ethnic group, or University division. The Review even accepts submissions from people outside Columbia. Past contributors include Nobel Prize winner André Gide and a host of other famous names such as Allen Ginsberg and Terrence McNally. The Review accepts submissions sent to, which are read from the beginning of September to the middle of April. Those interested in receiving a staff application should also contact that email during the fall semester.

Founded last year after editors split with Quarto, a literary magazine controlled by the creative writing department, self-described “student-run literary collective” 4x4 publishes the work of Columbia undergraduates. 4x4 hosts open mic events every month, and held a contest last year judged by Joyce Carol Oates. General submissions can be sent through 4x4's website at Students at any of the four undergraduate schools may apply to be on staff., but staff members can't publish their own writing in the magazine. 4x4 holds an information session in early September.

Columbia Journal of Literary Criticism
The CJLC's mission is “to offer a trans-disciplinary forum favoring critical thinking and uniting students in the Humanities,” according to its website. It operates independently of the English department and is printed once a year, publishing a dozen rigorous academic papers written by undergraduates, book reviews, and interviews with current intellectuals. The CJLC also runs literary events and seminars. Those who are interested in getting involved with staff, submitting an essay, or simply receiving more information should contact the staff at Submissions for the 2014 journal are due Nov. 18.

The Gadfly
The Gadfly is Columbia's undergraduate philosophy magazine. It prints essays, criticism, interviews, reviews, art, and occasional philosophically inclined fiction. Article submissions can be sent through its website at While The Gadfly is not currently taking on new staff members, it encourages those who are interested to like its Facebook page to be notified when applications become available.

The Orlando
Founded during the 2013-14 school year by Isaiah Thomas and Vanessa Sauter, both CC '16, The Orlando is the new queer literary magazine of Columbia University. Queer-oriented submissions from all four undergraduate schools are accepted. The Orlando is unique in that everyone, not just staff members, can vote on what submissions should go to the magazine's board for consideration at general meetings. Staff members, such as staff editors, are still being sought. The Orlando hopes to host open mics, slam poetry events, and film screenings in the coming semesters. | @annem_bompart

Orientation 2014 books 4x4 the gadfly the orlando Columbia Review cjlc