Arts and Entertainment | Food and Drink

Pita Grill brings eclectic offerings to storefront near Insomnia

• Pita Pocket | Wedged between V&T Pizzeria and Insomnia, Pita Grill has a menu that specializes in everything from Mediterranean food to tacos, rice bowls, and burgers at student-friendly prices.

Looking at Pita Grill’s menu, all I can think about is an episode of “Seinfeld”—the one where Jerry tells a local restaurateur that his café’s menu is too scattered and that he should pare down his customers’ options. It’s hard not to think of that when staring at a menu that offers schnitzel and rice bowls right alongside hamburgers, tacos, and chicken shwarma.

Sandwiched between Insomnia Cookies and V&T Pizzeria, Pita Grill, which opened on Friday, is trying to carve out its niche, albeit one that seems to be the menu equivalent of using buckshot—scattered, and with some misses. But when something works, it works well.

As a person who doesn’t do well making decisions, it took me a good five minutes to decide on something to order, somewhat to the annoyance of the cashier, who would eventually have her revenge when she initially brought me someone else’s order. I ended up settling on the Mykonos schnitzel sandwich, two pieces of falafel (because no place called Pita Grill should have bad falafel), and some stuffed grape leaves.

I started with the grape leaves, which are hard to mess up, and wasn’t disappointed, though they weren’t anything spectacular. The falafel was fine—small compared to other falafel places in the neighborhood such as Amir’s and Maoz and a little dry, but I imagine they wouldn’t be bad inside a pita and slathered with tzatziki sauce.  Given the just-OK grape leaves and the disappointingly small falafel, I wasn’t sure what to expect of the schnitzel sandwich. The Mykonos came with whole wheat-breaded chicken, red onions, feta sauce, plum tomatoes, and cucumbers on a multigrain pretzel bun, and it was presented really beautifully, and with a diagonal cut. The chicken was fried well and wasn’t too greasy, and the onions added a nice crunch that didn’t overpower the other flavors. The stars of the sandwich were the feta and cucumbers, which are a great combination on their own, but they really shone when combined with the sandwich’s other elements.

The restaurant itself is pretty spacious, with a few long, tall tables, three two-person tables, and a counter facing outside. It’s not a bad place to sit and eat, though there is a delivery option.

In terms of price, it’s about on par with other similar restaurants’ prices. The sandwich was $9.50 (the vegetarian option, with eggplant instead of chicken, is 55 cents cheaper), and most of the main-course options run from $9 to $15, except the burgers, which are all about $7. Pita Grill also has lunch specials and coupons for daily deals on its website.

The food at Pita Grill is solid, and while the sheer expanse of the menu can mean some dishes are better than others, it might also keep people going back out of curiosity about never-tried dishes. For price and variety, it’s definitely a great place to turn when you’re not sure what you want to eat—you’ll most likely find something you’ll like.  

david.salazar@columbiaspectator.com |@davidj_salazar

cool posted on

thanks for covering this, was wondering about it

+1
-3
-1
Katie M posted on

Good to hear the food is solid. I hate pita smoothies

+1
-6
-1